Home

Who thinks Facebook and MySpace...

Tysyacha

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. "We all" don't use it. I have a myspace and a facebook that were created either because I wanted to see a photo, or I wanted to shut my friends up, and I have never edited or used either one. Complete waste of time, plain, and simple.

2. Oh god no.

When I said "We" I didn't mean we as in the forum, I meant we as in the vast majority of people at my school.

And as for the "privacy threats, anyone with the technological know how to make an account on their own should have the appropriate skills to make their profile far less public and the intelligence to not click on every link they are sent to.

Facebook = goldmine to employers and many others. Can't believe how careless some people are about their privacy..

All it takes is your real name, and someone can really **** your life up. An employer is already going to have your real name, someone who means you real harm can come across it pretty easily, and once they have it can proceed with getting other pieces of personal information.

While I in tech school at Keesler AFB 12 airman from the 332nd Training Squadron were removed from training and later kicked out of the Air Force, because pictures of an orgy they'd had in the dorm found their way into the hands of the training group. These morons had uploaded them to Myspace and never thought twice about it (Hardly surprising once you'd been there for a few weeks, if you looked in the base paper you'd see a few airman from the 332nd getting courts-martial every month. These were mostly drinking or sex related offenses too, not surprising seeing that their entire squadron is full of ugly-stupid kids.) If you don't think you're employer or future employer is going to be actively trolling social networking profiles you'd be naive to think so, that also discounts the possibility that someone else doesn't like you and is going to make sure your employer gets a look at what you've posted online.

There's nothing wrong with the websites themselves. It's the freaks and attention whores who use them that are annoying

This too. Might as well link this, should mention that some of the logs on here are NWS. Not LF safe either. --Jae

Yeah, I have a Facebook account. Made it a little less than a year ago, because, well, every one of my friends from college have one (so they practically talked me into it). It actually proved useful as I was able to get in touch with a lot of old friends too. Nowadays, however, I log in for a minute or two, just to check if there's anything worth seeing and then log out.

There's nothing wrong with the websites themselves. It's the freaks and attention whores who use them that are annoying.

QFT

I have an Facebook account, but I only add people I actually care about and know.

If your stupid enough to actually add any of the Stranger Dangers you find out there, you deserve having your identity stolen.

I use facebook only. Myspace....is childish.

Facebook can be incredibly useful for networking- I am in germany working right now, and use it to talk to friends back home and to keep in contact with my old boss, to see if she would have work for me when I return.

Granted, I'm not posting pictures of me getting trashed.

I don't care for Myspace (though I used to use it before Facebook got as popular) but I do think Facebook is pretty nice.

Emails, anyone? Anyone?
lol email

But really, facebook is much more convenient to see what people are up to, and I stay in touch with people I otherwise might not. I am not one to put up pictures of crazy parties and stuff so I don't have to worry about that with potential employers. I guess I can understand the social network hate but I just think it can be a fun time waster.

Grats to everyone for missing out on the fact Tysyacha announced that she got boob implants when we weren't paying attention.

Ouch. Why anyone would want these implanted is beyond me :raise:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
picture.php?albumid=149&pictureid=3116

Those beaks look awfully sharp, and I mean c'mon.. feeding them would be a chore :xp:

-------

As for topic, I don't use either (or any) social networking other than LFN. Ironic some people complain about them on a massive forum social(ish) network ;)

They're not even remotely close in use :)

_EW_

I wouldn't say that. Both are essentially social networking websites. LF's friend lists and profile comments are pretty much the same features you see at places like Facebook. Obviously Facebook and other sites focus on the profile pages while for LF those are secondary. But I do agree the sites are not serving the same purpose, they just fall under the same broad category.

Archived