Home

Sometimes the littlest choices have huge outcomes!!! [Spoilers]

Shem

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Which makes you wonder what Bastilla did in there. She never followed my squad onto the surface of Korriban......:eek:

@ Topic:

QFT this.

Comments are so obnoxious it's even funny.

Q.F.T.

What Shem posted...makes me wonder what I missed myself (never played through TSL Dark sided)

It's in Uthar's bedroom. ;)

This sounds so pedophile-y without the quote.

And also my friend gave me die-hard evidence, he e-mailed lucasarts and asked them and they replied with "yes, but she has ages alot, infact every character in the game has aged, all but revan!
Hey you big fat gaming nerd i email lucas art and they say she age men!

Anyone who rushes through dialogue on TSL is missing out on pretty much everything fantastic about the game. The depth of storyline, the dimension of the characters, and the very complex and realistic interactions that they share are almost completely reliant on dialogue, influence, and the ability to read. If you fast forward through even one line of Kreia's dialogue, chances are you're missing out on a brilliant and well thought out concept or philosophy on the Force, or the Jedi, or the Sith, that challenges the black and white conventions of earlier Star Wars canon in a way that could even be considered a redefinition of the Light and Dark sides themselves.

People complain that the love stories aren't very good in TSL, but just because there isn't a kissing scene, that doesn't make the emotions shared between the PCs, both male and female, and the crew members, any less moving or powerful. The scene with Visas and the male LS Exile before the battle for Telos can be completely skipped, but if you READ, and LISTEN, then you learn that the Jedi's condemnation of the exile is unfounded, that he merely represents what they fear to understand, life without the Force that still manages to thrive. It takes the concept of the Force being this all powerful energy that is vital to the galaxy, and makes it expendable; Visas reveals this through very riveting dialogue that couples reason and perspective with unerring emotions like love and caring. Not only is it a very pivotal revelation to the underlying themes and philosophies expressed in the game, the intimacy of the scene is palpable, and you can really feel the love she has for him, and her fear of losing him to her former Master, Darth Nihilus.

Skipping over dialogue impatiently can have negative effects on the game itself, but really, the most unfortunate loss suffered by this unwillingness to slow down is how easy it is to miss out on the core quality of this game, and mistakingly label it as a poorly constructed sequel.

As long as you're bothering to read it, it doesn't really matter whether you listen to the VO's or not. :p

Heh, thanks. I actually read through the dialogue so fast at one point, when I clicked to skip it, I accidently clicked on the dialogue option that set Revan to dark side. Luckily, since I had saved prior to that event, I just reloaded my game and then set Revan to light side.

Well, I read through the dialogue before they finish saying it...and, since Mical showed up, I never play with the sound on... >_<

But I don't miss anything. :p

Seriously, where did ANYONE ever get the idea that Kreia is Bastila? That's just...wierd... o_0

And that's without EVER having actually gotten Bastila in there! (since I play DS ;). I got Carth once! :lol:)

But, yea. The moral of this story is...

READ ALL YOUR DIALOGUE OPTIONS!!!!! :lol:

Without wanting to put myself in the firing line, I can completely understand how the (ignorant, yes) comments Shem received came about - oh, and bear in mind that this entire thread is based around reading things properly ;)

Yes, KOTOR & TSL are RPGs, which is great to those of us who actually understand that concept. And therefore, we appreciate that dialogue is, for a good RPG (IMHO) where the whole game is at. Others feel that RPGs are all about levelling up, collecting gold and rinse & repeating, not really querying the whole Role-Playing thing. That's not to say they're wrong, these are two different sides of the same coin.

The point here though, is that KOTOR & TSL are Star Wars, and that means that loads of casual gamers, who don't necessarily have a favourite genre but who perhaps go off magazine scores and whatnot, bought the games, in droves. As such, they're more interested in cut-scenes and then fighting stuff. Yes, that's a massive generalisation, but it's also true to a varying degree. One over-riding factor is that a lot of people play these games just because they are Star Wars - and sadly, for many now, Star Wars is episodes 1, 2 & 3, and on top of that, for another whole segment of people, they're action movies and nothing more.

I know nothing about cars, but I sometimes really enjoy driving games. I bet there are people out there who would post on their forums about how I wasn't playing a driving sim properly because I didn't look at all the different engine and gear systems I could use, I just clicked whatever was at the top of the list. Did it diminish my enjoyment of the game? Possibly, but I'd never know unless someone else pointed it out to me.

Kreia states that she trained Revan, when you've gained enough influence, if you didn't read other info properly (or even if you just did this early enough on in the game) and you knew just, but only just enough about KOTOR, then perhaps it's not too amazing a logical jump to believe the mistaken rumours. Hey, Kreia and Bastilla both have pigtailed hair, too.

All of that aside, though, the guy insulting Shem for being a 'fat gaming nerd'? King of Clevertown, well done him. I like people who reward those who take the time to help them by slapping them in the face. They tend to make me feel a lot better about myself :disaprove

And @Adavardes (post # 32) - right there with you, I couldn't agree more. Personally, I feel a little sad for those who feel that there was a tangible 'love' story in the first KOTOR - but hey, this is a computer RPG, so I suppose what there was counts. :indif:

One of the things that is a shame is that a lot of people don't realize how role playing games work -- meaning it's about choices and the outcome of the choices that can determine what happened in the first KOTOR game. I guess people forgot there were two endings in the first game and the second one needs to have the outcome of the first game decided early on to determine who is going to be in the game.

Here is a video of Darth Revan as a female who embraced the dark side and Carth falls in love with her:

So Carth dies in that version. Even though a lot of people thought this scene was a restored content mod which it isn't, here are some of the comments that some people have made that give you the idea that people don't understand that these games are about choices and it's choices *you* make and that they affect outcomes of both games:

"Carth couldn't of died though. He needs to be alive for KOTOR2 :3

"

"Really? Well he's in KOTOR2 so he should be alive."

"But I met carth in the second one.."

"wait what? carth can't die in this one he was in the second one, for a few scenes"

"But Carth is alive in Kotor2"

"wait up.. i swear i saw the Disciple talking to Carth on a hologram in KotOR 2..."

The part where I'm confused is that they actually made the choice to say that Revan was on the light side, which means they had to move their choice when talking to Atton. I just don't understand how they didn't understand that they were making a choice on how the first KOTOR game ended. Comprehension skills are desperately needed! ;)

Shem, I wonder if changing the order of those conversations might make a good mod over at your site?
I'm almost willing to bet that if you go to KotorFiles, you know a few things about the game like Carth and Bastila are in TSL as I've never seen that be an issue yet in the three years I've ran the show there -- just on YouTube so far. I would have never known this to be an issue of people not paying attention if I hadn't posted videos on YouTube.

Another thing is many of those YouTube people ask me many times if they do those things they see me do on the Xbox version. I mean, you can do that mod if you want to, but I don't think it's going to help those who would see the mod being available. All it would do is give exposure of what they're doing wrong if they discover it and the mod wouldn't be much of help now that they know what to look for.

It's one of those things that would have been better served if the developers would have reversed the Revan being light or dark side options when selecting the dialogue options order, but then again I think the good things that you see in the game should have happened if you had be patient to read what you're selecting. People should have read the options and comprehended what they mean and that they are selecting what happened in the first game.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this comment about Carth being in TSL on one of my YouTube videos today that I thought was worth sharing:

how do you get this it is insane!! And I swear I will hunt you down if its a mod!

Then you've clearly never completed Kotor 1, coz when you fight bastilla in the star forge, she says, " I wanted to tell you that you were revan, you could have been the evil darklord again, but instead you gave it up to be a good, heroic jedi! get your facts straight you fat gaming nerd, I'm blocking you!

No matter how many times I read this, its always funny.

Then you've clearly never completed Kotor 1, coz when you fight bastilla in the star forge, she says, " I wanted to tell you that you were revan, you could have been the evil darklord, but instead you gave it up to be a good, heroic jedi! "

And this has to do with Bastila being Kreia how?

get your facts straight you fat gaming nerd

hahahahah

And only a fat gaming nerd would've been able to recite the above line. From memory.

I'm blocking you!

Oh no, now what will Shem do now that he doesn't have your approval?

All right, where is fat gaming nerd number 2?

I just got this comment about Carth being in TSL on one of my YouTube videos today that I thought was worth sharing:

how do you get this it is insane!! And I swear I will hunt you down if its a mod!

with your e-spear?

Sometimes I love the people on YouTube. I've read some of the funniest comments ever for the KOTOR games there.

Here is a theory someone just came up with about four hours ago:

maybe kreia killed revan and stole his ship. because carth said that wherever revan has been the ship has also been there and when you are on the harbinger kreia is the one who saves you with the ebon hawk.

One of these times I'm going to go through all my video comments and post quotes on some of the funniest theories and clueless observations ever posted on my YouTube videos. Seriously, make sure you're not eating or drinking anything when you read them.

Sometimes I love the people on YouTube. I've read some of the funniest comments ever for the KOTOR games there.

maybe kreia killed revan and stole his ship. because carth said that wherever revan has been the ship has also been there and when you are on the harbinger kreia is the one who saves you with the ebon hawk.

:raise:

Your joking...right?

Shem...I envy you. Everyday you can look at your youtube comments and have yourself a good laugh to brighten up your day. :lol:

Here is a comment that I found on my Sacrificing Visas video today when I was preparing the odd comments I receive on YouTube about Carth being in TSL.

"you how when u get in the ravager right? And then admiral carth is say i can't lose telos again well when i played second time new game the admiral was a black guy weird and u no how carth thxs u it was skipped and went to the part where the ebon hawk crashed again lol can anyone tell me y dis happenin?"

:rofl:

Yeah. I want to be a YT jester for your account sometimes, Shem. It's hard to resist, because all those comments....are just asking for it. Which is I why I no longer go anywhere near your account on YT. I'm always afraid I might piss you off. :lol:

I'm under similar handle: GTA2SWcity. One of these days I'll come up wit a script for one of my ridiculous shows. I might review the inane "pink floyd" ROM hack of Donkey Kong NES.

One of these times I'm going to go through all my video comments and post quotes on some of the funniest theories and clueless observations ever posted on my YouTube videos. Seriously, make sure you're not eating or drinking anything when you read them.

Nice, Shem. I can't help but wnder if you'll make a video about the stupid theories people make. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived