1. 1. Do you rent games at all?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
    • Yoda
    • Kermit

I'm curious, as I seem to be fairly alone among a group of LFers on this:

Does anyone else here rent games?

I find it is cheaper to just rent a game, beat it in a week or two, then take it back. If I ever want to buy it, by the time I'd like to play it again it is usually in a bargain bin. Only games I really buy are ones I am absolutely sure I'd like to have, and even then I've got a few in which I think back and say "Why the hell do I even own this?"

This is, of course, talking primarily about console games, which is the primary reason I prefer console gaming over PC gaming.

So, am I alone in this or are there other reasonable people out there :p

Sometimes I rent games.

I rented BioShock back when it was released, and I beat the game twice before I returned. Yeah, it's probably one of my favourite games, but it doesn't really have a replay value to me. There isn't any multiplayer. And I'm not one to replay games that tend to relatively long campaigns, even if I like it. I haven't played Mass Effect since beating it. Likewise for KOTOR.

Right now, our libraries are carrying video games, so I'm just playing what I can grab from there since I don't need to pay. Otherwise, I wouldn't be playing Lord of the Rings Conquest right now. :xp:

I have not rented a game in years. All the games I own for 360 and Wii I either took longer than a week to beat, or beat them multiple times. I just like owning my games. If a game looks good enough to get me to want to try it, well hopefully there is a demo, but if it's something I know I'll like I'll buy it. And I would say almost all the games I own for 360 are games I will pick up again at some point down the line.

I voted Kermit, because I interpreted Kermit as meaning rarely, and since I can't remember the last time, or if I even ever have rented a game I think Kermit fits as my answer. I just prefer to own my stuff, nothing too complicated really.

I used to rent games infrequently until I replaced my PS2 with the PS3 - my local film/game rental place doesn't stock PS3 or 360 games. When I had the old thing, I got the likes of Bounty Hunter, a couple of the Tenchu games and anything else I wanted to try out. I also rented a PSP game at one point to get unlocks for the console equivalent game (it was one of the WWE Smackdown v Raw games). Now though, I rent rarely...though I find myself reading a lot more reviews of games I find interesting!

Well, I voted Kermit, due to the fact that I just use Computer games, I don't have a console, I mooch off of other people's consoles....too much fun:D But still, renting is a good way to test a game to see if it's worth buying, but....hee hee...it's going out of style:D

I've never rented games, because usually once I have a game(usually that I've bought or was given as a gift), I never really get rid of it. Mainly because I never know when I'd want to play it. I'd just have that "I wish i could play it now" feeling when I took it back.

ninja gaidan 2

I pity you, the appeal of that game got me to download the demo, I didn't even get through the first cutscene.

and battlefield BC

The single player in that game is by far one of the worst things I've had the joy of only briefly experiencing. I play that game quite often though, the multiplayer is great, I just pretend that the single player doesn't exist.

I voted sometimes, I wander into blockbuster every now and then and see whats there, it all depends on if I think I'm actually going to enjoy the game or not. If it's in question, I rent it first, if its undoubtable, I buy first.

Then there's games I already own on a different platform, like Cod4, I've rented it twice now for xbox, even though I have it on PC. It's nice to be able to play with different friends for once. But I'm not going to buy it again, that would be just stupid.

It's somewhat difficult to rent PC games so no, I don't rent them. I do like having the media so it's not such a bad deal, particularly since I'm not obsessive about getting the latest game and can usually find good deals by waiting (got Bioshock and Assassin's Creed for $10 each on Black Friday, etc).

i voted no because:

1. i use computers and dont have a console

2. i only buy games that really catch my attention

3. instead of renting, i can just borrow a game from one of my mates who has it, and i f i like it, i might get it. (this is how i got kotor)

4. i never get rid of my games; if i dont play it, i lend it to one of mah mates.

5. i believe renting is a complete waste of my measly jobless income.

Yes. Because I only actually have 4 games in my collection now, And i find it much cheaper and sometimes more fun to rent out, beat it in a week and take back.

Only the real in-depth and long games like Mass effect, Oblivion etc are really ever in my "to buy" list.

when your on the budget and you just want to play the game, renting is a great option.

i've done this with a lot of 360 titles. over the past year, i've probably spent about $40 - $50 on rentals from Blockbuster (since its near my house), and if i would've bought all of those games, i would've spent in the neighborhood of $200.

the main reason is that most games really only offer about 15-20 hours of gametime due to variety or the story running out, etc. the only exceptions seem to lie with RPGs (which are rare) and occassionally with sports titles. multiplayer just isn't there with a lot of games with only a couple of exceptions like Halo 3, Gears of War, and Left 4 Dead.

the simple fact that most games don't have a lot of replayibility makes renting a great option. it even makes games that are good-but-not-great more enjoyable if and only because you'll feel like you got your money's worth. that way, it makes you more prone to trying out games that you never would've tried out otherwise.

PC games are another matter since a lot of places don't rent them out simply because of piracy concerns. i wish they would rent them out, but then again, we're not missing much given that most PC games are just console ports to begin with.

anyways, that's my 2 pennies. ;)

Hard to say, really. I just know that when I was really young I used to rent games for the NES. More often I buy stuff in the bargain bin, usually after waiting a *really* long time for it to get there in the first place. I'm a cheap bastard often accused of jew'ing people. That's okay with me since I have a little jew in me blood anyway.

I buy games and I buy them when I *know* I want them. If I'm attracted but still not sure, I might rent. though the last time I did rent was from a local joint in 2004: MegaMan X7. I decided I wanted it, but would wait for it to hit the $20 mark first...forgot about it for awhile...boom, saw it for $15 at gamestop.

It's rare that I go for a game (renting or buying) if I'm not sure. However, to answer your question: Yes, rarely. To turn the tide of a decision one way or another.

Rarely ever do I rent.

I used to rent games back when I had my PS2. Now, I rarely play many games, and those I do play are on PC. I've got no problem with renting them if I have to, it's cheaper than buying the game, especially if you're only going to play a couple of levels then get bored of it.

Senseless paying for your own copy of the game, when you can just fork out a couple of quid to keep it for a week, in which you can get what you want out of it...

Even if you rent it again, it's still cheaper than the £30-£40 you'd have to pay to buy it...

^^^

I'll half agree with you:

Yes, if it is a game you likely will get bored of after a short time. There I can *totally* agree. Mind you, though, there is some really nice trade deals you can work out at gamestop from time to time.

Not senseless if you are a major fan of something, or collecting. However, that is only for what you keep near and dear to your heart. The rest...meh...sure I'll rent.

It usually takes a really long time to get bored of the games I do have and I'll probably come back to them in the future anyway.

I too am moving towards predominantly PC gaming, though, since modding is awesome.

Archived