Home

Fond Memories of JediBoard (Redux) - A Dedication Memoir Thread

StarWarsGooN

Where is danbeck - Daniel Beckham - when we need him?! JediBoard was one of the truly simplistic, awesome, and

uniquely conceived ip bulletin boards ever devised for multiplayer star wars gaming!

To this day I've never seen its Equal. I and a whole lot of other community

members would still be using it today if it were still around and properly maintained

and operational - too bad the Death Star blew it up by a script file error and server transfer years ago. :cry6:

jediboard.JPG

jb-mots%20script%20error.JPG

• 3 months later...

I too enjoyed using the JediBoard until it stopped functioning. My clan & I used to use

it for Jedi Knight & Mysteries of the Sith until the odd hours of the morning for years.

Once it stopped working we were forced to switch to the Internet Gaming Zone.

It would be relatively painless for me to create a modern rendition of the JediBoard.

As a matter of fact, I think I'll give it a shot. Once I have the first version with basic

functionality completed I'll post an update.

PS: Mentat, do that and link it and you're my hero!

I'm hoping to have the web server up & running by this weekend. I have a really basic but functional version coded

already (users have the ability to post the server's IP address, the map/level name & the mod name (the 1st version

may not support URLs but the 2nd version will...we'll see)). I spent a few hours typing up an outline for this project

last night. I have a ton of great ideas that will eventually result in a ton of features that take it beyond what it original

was but it will still maintain the feel of the original so that we can all feel the nostalgia. Once I get the CSS layout

coded I'll post a link here.

Try out JKLauncher. I have been developing it for the last

several years, and am currently using it every day to work out bugs and polish up the features. The project site for it

describes what is planned and what it can do. The project site links a very old version, but a new much-improved one

should be linked within the next few days.

JKLauncher (underneath the hood) uses the equivalent of an IP board, but provides so much more than an IP board

could.

I am not implying that Mentat should stop working on an IP board, as some will probably like the IP board better

(because of ease of use or being web-based).

:)

No offense taken. I'm actually a big fan of JK Launcher. The JediBoard was always more of an

underground group of players that avoided the larger portion of the community like the IGZ for

one reason or another. Once I get everything up & running, I'll actually be linking to your application

& recommending that users use both solutions (JediBoard & JK Launcher) when they're interested in

reaching out to more players. This would be similar to the way that JediBoard & Qtracker used to

work together.

I didn't want anyone to think that I've forgotten about this project. I work 40-60 hours per week,

I'm helping a friend edit/type his book, some of which must be submitted to his publisher soon &

I'm a newlywed so I don't have as much time as I'd like to have. However, rest assured that I'm

dedicated to getting this project up & running & will be devoting every spare moment that I have

to this.

Here's where we're at...

• The webserver is up & running (it took me a little longer to get this up & running because
    I had to teach myself to install, update & run linux from the terminal).
  • The domain is registered (http://www.jediboard.com). There's nothing there except a generic
    HTML document at the moment (this will soon change).

Feel free to bookmark the website because it'll be updated as soon as I install a few more packages

& finish the generic CSS layout.

That's something that I can eventually add support for but it definitely won't be at the top of the list. I'm focusing more on functionality in the beginning & once everything is running smoothly, I'll start adding features such as the one you mentioned.

Archived