Home

XP Overhaul Mod (K2)

Andrei Gijgorev

Personally, I hate the way KOTOR (and especially TSL) distributes XP points, because it forces me to kill everything that moves to gain XP. And then I'm called Light Side? Yeah, right...

Also, I think it's stupid to have to level up (including visiting Korriban for the hsiss) before entering a new area just because otherwise you wouldn't gain as much XP...

So, my vision of an XP overhaul would be like this:

- You get NO XP AT ALL for defeating enemies.

- You get XP based on objectives. So if you complete a certain quest, you get a fixed amount of XP. If you open a security door, you get a fixed amount of XP, and if you manage to open all security doors with your computer skill, then you get that fixed amount for all security doors that were still closed. So it doesn't make a difference whether you open doors (or recover/disable mines) manually or find other means to deal with the problem, like using computer skills.

Reaching certain points also counts as objectives, so whether you kill some guards or manage to sneak past them doesn't matter, you only get the XP for reaching that point where the guards were supposed to keep you from.

- Bosses still net XP, although the XP would not be assigned to the boss directly, but to the fact that the boss is dead. So basically killing a boss counts as an obejctive.

- All outcomes of a quest have the same amount of XP assigned, although this should not include the "I'm not interested in this quest" option.

- Since enemies don't net experience anymore, XP required for level-ups should not be counted on the standard logarithmic scale, but on a linear one instead.

- Containers net no XP.

I know that most of these ideas should be realizable. But I also know that it would take a lot of time, and since I've just started with KOTOR modding recently and am currently occupied with another project, I have neither the motivation nor the time required to do this by myself.

I've played the game like ten times before, but I didn't get that XP overhaul idea until recently, so I'm curious about what other people would think about it. And of course, If someone decided to actually make such an overhaul mod, I would be highly delighted.

I think removing the XP assigned to enemies is possible and even quite simple; all it requires is overwriting the values in xptable.2da with zeros. Overwriting all values in xpbaseconst.2da with zeros should do the same for containers.

The real problem is assigning new XP points. You would have to check trigger conditions and then display a popup message, like it is done when returning from the "experiment in delivery" quest on Nar Shaddaa. From what I see, it is possible to:

- set up global booleans

- check global booleans

- check position of player

which should be sufficient for the mod.

It's a nice idea, but not something I would download. I like my levels high and I bet I wouldn't be the only one.

RH Edit:

6. Don’t ask "Why?" to a request. Please keep your posts limited to whether or not the mod is possible and how it can be done. Cluttering a thread can make it hard for the requester and/or the modder to keep tabs on progress.

This post falls into that category. No more ok? -RH

This has nothing to do with high levels. I think the maximum level you can get to in K2 without exploits is level 34 with 361000 xp points. So let's say in this new mod we had a linear scale where every level needed 1000 XP, then the xp you'd get if you did all quests and reached every single objective were 33000, so that you could get to level 34.

BUT you could get to that level with both a female, male, light side or dark side pc - and even when playing light side you would NOT have to kill everything that moves for this.

Still sounds bad?

Archived