Home

Fallout: New Vegas

Pavlos

Source

Bethesda, developers of The Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3, have announced a new game for the Fallout franchise to be developed by Obsidian Entertainment, developers of KotOR II and NWN2. Entitled Fallout: New Vegas, the game is said "not [to be] a sequel to Fallout 3" but a stand-alone title slated for release in 2010.

"It's not a sequel to Fallout 3," says Pete Hines, Vice President of PR and marketing at Bethesda, "it's just another game in the universe, and it has no impact whatsoever on whatever Todd Howard and his team are working on. We approached Obsidian and they were, like, yeah. That was a pretty easy conversation. It's not Fallout Tactics, it's not Brotherhood of Steel; it's another RPG."

MCV is reporting that the game will utilise the Gamebryo engine employed in both Oblivion and Fallout 3 and that Chris Avellone of Fallout 2 (and Planescape: Torment) fame is heading up the development team.

Given that the founding fathers of Obsidian Entertainment (Feargus Urquhart, Chris Parker, Darren Monahan, Chris Avellone, and Chris Jones) are all veterans of Fallout 2's long-dead developer, Black Isle, this looks like something to keep and eye on, rather than something to commit ritual suicide over.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hrmm....Bethesda pays millions to rape the franchise and then hands it off to Obsidian? Smells a bit fishy to me, but it is three weeks past April Fools....

Gamebryo - blech. Obsidian should have said they'd use the Alpha Protocol version of Unreal 3 that they have been working with for the last 2 years.

Gamebryo - blech. Obsidian should have said they'd use the Alpha Protocol version of Unreal 3 that they have been working with for the last 2 years.
I may have preferred this as well, I didn't particularly care for Oblivion, but I still want to play Fallout 3 since it's been so highly lauded.

I should have liked Obsidian to use their Onyx engine; it was designed with the Aliens RPG in mind, sounded pretty interesting.

Anyway, I do have to echo the feeling that seems to be reverberating around the internet right now that an Obsidian-Bethesda partnership is one of the most bizarre video-game-related events for quite a while...

Anyway, I do have to echo the feeling that seems to be reverberating around the internet right now that an Obsidian-Bethesda partnership is one of the most bizarre video-game-related events for quite a while...
+ and - attract each other, even in the game business, it seems.

I didn't particularly care for Oblivion, but I still want to play Fallout 3 since it's been so highly lauded.
If you've played Oblivion you've played Fallout 3. As was feared by the fanboys, it's pretty much just Oblivion with guns. As far as "highly lauded" goes, recall that Oblivion was also "highly lauded" (Oblivion actually has a slightly higher Metacritic rating).

As far as "highly lauded" goes, recall that Oblivion was also "highly lauded" (Oblivion actually has a slightly higher Metacritic rating).

True these games lack good strong stories.

Though, just like Morrorwind, I enjoyed the exploring, the randome encounters with quest givers.

Bit odd sometimes, to find someone in the middle of nowhere :p

Still, this sandbox mode is strong: I think with the writing and creative story telling of Obsidian, fused with the great exploring aspect, this might turn out great.

2010 isn't so far fetched, if they use the same engine and tools of Fallout 3.

Source

Shacknews has posted an interview with Bethesda's vice president of PR and marketing, Pete Hines on the new Fallout game to be developed by Obsidian Entertainment: Fallout: New Vegas.

Mr. Hines has stated that Obsidian and Bethesda have been discussing the stand-alone addition to the Fallout franchise "for a while now" but has not disclosed for exactly how long "for a while" means.

I think we tried very hard not to put much in the way of parameters on them. To let them kind of come up with the idea. So we didn't go to them and say, we want a game that is set here, and--we didn't do that. We said, "What would you do with it? If we were going to do this, what would you guys like to do?"

If what he says is true then this game could turn out to be very interesting. Almost as interesting as Mike Leigh night on BBC 4, yesterday.

Dear God. Well, this is one hell of a surprise. It's as if the sadistic spawn of Satan asked God to give help him conquer the world.

Either way, since it's being done by Obsidian, I'm thinking that the Fallout franchise might return to a sense of glory that was lost with FO3.

Still, I'm shocked. I mean, really, in a state of joyful disbelief.

If you've played Oblivion you've played Fallout 3. As was feared by the fanboys, it's pretty much just Oblivion with guns. As far as "highly lauded" goes, recall that Oblivion was also "highly lauded" (Oblivion actually has a slightly higher Metacritic rating).
I know, I've heard the Oblivion with guns bit many times but I think the first person view works better in a game with guns, and I was comparing Oblivion to other fantasy RPGs so I wanted something similar and I didn't like the way it went. Never played any of the Fallout games or any RPGs like them so I am open to giving it a chance.

I'm one of the few apparently who has a distaste for Obsidian's games. TSL was incomplete and felt incomplete, and NWN2 was one of the least immersive RPGs I've ever played.

While Fallout 3 was just Oblivion with guns...

I'm going to take a guess and say this will be NWN2 with... guns.

No thanks.

I'm one of the few apparently who has a distaste for Obsidian's games. While Fallout 3 was just Oblivion with guns...

No thanks.

Not only one of the few, you're the only one. :carms:

Given that these guys developed Fallout 2, I doubt it.

Well, I guess that this is why the Aliens RPG was so suddenly shelved. I'll bet that Feargus & Co. would've dropped anything that they were doing ATM for the chance to work on this. Who could blame them?

OMG! OMG!

This just occurred to me: could this mean that we're finally going to get the Fallout 3 that Black Isle was developing oh so long ago? :emodanc:

Archived