Home

Fallout: New Vegas

Pavlos

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds promising! But why does Obsidian always doing sequels for other companies' games (minus Alpha Protocol)? First, Bioware, now Bethesda...

Nothing terribly wrong with that. It's just that doing sequels to already famous games practically guarantees a good income. If the company grows, new IPs are bound to show up sooner or later.

Yeah, it was definitely a good way for Obsidian to get their brand well known. Doing TSL and NWN2 really put them on the map (Yes I know they are all former Black Isle people but I just mean them as a company) and that is proven since they already have a new IP in Alpha Protocol coming and pretty highly anticipated.

I'm one of the few apparently who has a distaste for Obsidian's games. TSL was incomplete and felt incomplete, and NWN2 was one of the least immersive RPGs I've ever played.

While Fallout 3 was just Oblivion with guns...

I'm going to take a guess and say this will be NWN2 with... guns.

No thanks.

Trust me, you're not the only one. I haven't liked one single Obsidian game. I loved NWN, couldn't get into NWN2. I loved KotOR, didn't like TSL. I hated both Oblivion and Fallout 3. Suffice to say, I won't ever be buying into "omg this game is awesome" ever again when it comes to Obsidian.

I loved KotOR, didn't like TSL.
Preposterous. o_Q

TSL had Kreia, therefore, it is better in every right when it comes to K1.

Kreiadarknessatcore.jpg

Suffice to say, I won't ever be buying into "omg this game is awesome" ever again when it comes to Obsidian.
Too late, I already am:

OMG THIS GAEM IS AWESOME!1!

santsmil

sounds nice, but i'm not holding my breath on this one till i see some actual information about the game. announcing that they're making the game is one thing. giving us information like plot teasers, screenshots, and/or gameplay footage is a completely different ballgame. :indif:

Whatever it turns out like, at least they didn't call it Fallout 4. That is what Bethesda should have done - called theirs Fallout: DC or Fallout: Capital Wastelands or some such, along the lines of Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel. The only relation it has to Fallout 1 & 2 is the universe. In narrative, gameplay, and philosophy it is completely unrelated. Van Buren was Fallout 3. Bethesda's Fallout 3 bears as much relation to the originals as Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance does to BG 1 & 2.

That's what it was called: Van Buren. I'd forgotten.

Since the same guys who worked on Van Buren are making this game, I'm wondering if Fallout: New Vegas will actually be Van Buren, and therefore the real Fallout 3.

Preposterous. o_Q

TSL had Kreia, therefore, it is better in every right when it comes to K1.

Kreiadarknessatcore.jpg

This.

There's also the fact that K1's story and characters sucked out loud, and that TSL's story and characters were of a quality, depth, and dimension rarely seen in the gaming industry, but mostly this.

Obsidian = amazing writers.

Fallout = interesting concept.

Obsidian making Fallout = WOOO!

That's what it was called: Van Buren. I'd forgotten.

Since the same guys who worked on Van Buren are making this game, I'm wondering if Fallout: New Vegas will actually be Van Buren, and therefore the real Fallout 3.

Highly unlikely. As much as Hindes has said they let Obsidian run with their own ideas, I imagine there are still boundaries. Plus I'm not even sure whether Obsidian themselves would want to do it. Remember that Obsidian isn't Black Isle, it just has some of the people from there. Arguably the most important people from the Fallout team went to Troika.

There's some info on Van Buren's plot on the Wikipedia page. A tech demo was leaked if you want to check it out - you can grab it from NMA. There are also various videos of it on

There's also the fact that K1's story and characters sucked out loud, and that TSL's story and characters were of a quality, depth, and dimension rarely seen in the gaming industry, but mostly this.

You've got to be kidding.

The original KotOR story is what made the game. Bioware is famous for the rich content of thier stories joined with the playability of the storytelling.

This combo often brings them awards for brilliant games, millions of game sales and happy fans.

Quality and depth were exactly what TSL was missing when they followed up KotOR. It definately lacked that connection and impact that KotOR had.

However, I did like the upgrades in weapons, sabers and leveling.

The Jedi armor was weak and looked like crap though.

...and Kreia! My God, she was the lamest, cryptic pain in the arse ever.

The original KotOR story is what made the game. Bioware is famous for the rich content of thier stories joined with the playability of the storytelling.
Not really. Take Episode IV's ending' date=' combine it with a foreseeable plot twist, add mainly stereotypical characters, stir and serve chilled, and you have KotOR I. It's not exactly bad, but when RPGs are mainly story-oriented games, you'd better have a pretty decent plot if you want to go anywhere at all.
Quality and depth were exactly what TSL was missing when they followed up KotOR. It definately lacked that connection and impact that KotOR had.
I can see where you're coming from, but I'd most certainly challenge it. You're forgetting the puzzlebox that is the Influence system, which provides dozens of playthroughs in order to truly understand the characters fully. As for the general incompleteness... truly, I never really felt that way until the third act. Either way, the whole journey was oh-so enjoyable enough to completely ignore the plot holes.
...and Kreia! My God, she was the lamest, cryptic pain in the arse ever.
That's the whole point. She was a dynamic character, and probably one of the most interesting characters in the SW universe.

This combo often brings them awards for brilliant games, millions of game sales and happy fans..

Pastrami basically said everything I could about K1's storyline, but I would like to address the fact that you place importance on how many games are sold and how many fans like it. Popularity =/= quality, in fact, it tends to be the exact opposite, as it is with Halo, Family Guy, anything that Michael Bay has ever directed in the history of ever, and the Twilight novel series, all of which are horrendous displays of entertainment, yet are still popular. So, based on that, I'm inclined to believe that whatever the majority of people like is going to be completely moronic, shallow, and lacking in cerebral provokation.

It's not exactly bad, but when RPGs are mainly story-oriented games, you'd better have a pretty decent plot if you want to go anywhere at all.

kotor's plot was really good. but more than that it was incredibly deep and philosophical. bioware's writers are our modern day platos and kants

dozens of playthroughs in order to truly understand the characters

no

She was a dynamic character, and probably one of the most interesting characters in the SW universe.

kreia sucked. blah blah blah echoes blah blah blah revan blah blah blah the force sucks i couldn't even listen to her she just rambled on about crytpic crap like that forever

and what a lame plot twist KREIA IS A SITH who coulda seen that one coming!

popularity =/= quality

that's ****ing bs

in fact, it tends to be the exact opposite, as it is with Halo, Family Guy, anything that Michael Bay has ever directed in the history of ever, and the Twilight novel series.

these are all ingenious literary works and i find it abhorrent that you do not think the same :mad:

Bizarro Devon in da house. :dev7:

KotOR1 did Star Wars better than the Prequels did and it was fun, but after two playthroughs (LS & DS) the only reason to replay it is to try out some new mod. I thought that the entire DS endgame rocked, though, and thoroughly beats the tar out of the LS one.

KotOR2 was the anti-Star Wars, a concept that I liked from the start, and it's plot was complex enough to warrant several replays just to catch all of the times that Kreia lies to you. The influence system has already been mentioned and can be played several different ways. And with notable exceptions the mods for TSL are far better and can make the combat a lot more interesting.

• 8 months later...

Leaked First Details of Fallout: New Vegas

Lists some details they found out about the game presumably from the upcoming Game Informer issue. The only thing I want to know from that info is whether all the backgrounds turn into ghouls or if it is just that Chinese Agent background, as I don't find the idea of playing a ghoul very attractive.

Also I can't help but notice that it seems like no matter what Obsidian does, BioWare has already done it. No doubt they will put their own spin on the different background options in the game but it never fails that they have comparable features. I just beat Fallout 3 a week or two ago and enjoyed it very much so I'm still really looking forward to this one.

Also I can't help but notice that it seems like no matter what Obsidian does, BioWare has already done it. No doubt they will put their own spin on the different background options in the game but it never fails that they have comparable features.
So are they actually doing a playable background a la Dragon Age, or is it just a cutscene etc? The vehicle stuff sounds similar to Mass Effect's driving around on random planets in the Mako.

Archived