Home

Fallout: New Vegas

Pavlos

Also I can't help but notice that it seems like no matter what Obsidian does, BioWare has already done it. No doubt they will put their own spin on the different background options in the game but it never fails that they have comparable features.
Yes. They're also dandy at taking said features and fashioning them into more improved incarnations with greater potential. Obsidian may not be the more innovative developer, but they can usually take a good concept (in theory) and bring it to its reasonable apex. That's kinda why I wanted them to do ME2, but I suppose we're getting that anyway. :p

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So are they actually doing a playable background a la Dragon Age, or is it just a cutscene etc? The vehicle stuff sounds similar to Mass Effect's driving around on random planets in the Mako.
From reading that article it says it's just like Dragon Age's origin stories.

Yes. They're also dandy at taking said features and fashioning them into more improved incarnations with greater potential. Obsidian may not be the more innovative developer, but they can usually take a good concept (in theory) and bring it to its reasonable apex. That's kinda why I wanted them to do ME2, but I suppose we're getting that anyway. :p
I agree, but I'd still like to see them coming up with their own features. But I guess instead of booing on Obsidian BioWare deserves credit for making new features become popular. And the game will probably be better because of the inclusion of the background stories.

2010 release? Hey that's this year!
As I recall when the deal was first announced it was said it was with the understanding that it would be released within 12 months. Given the age of the announcement that would mean you'd expect to see it around mid-year, but add another 6 months for the inevitable Obsidian delay - so say a Thanksgiving/Xmas release.

• 5 weeks later...

New teaser-trailer released

What is (behind the pre-rendered eye-candy) in the trailer is the announcement of a release date in "Fall 2010".

The accompanying press-release also lists that the game will be available on... (cont. p.94)

After the cancellation of Obsidian's Aliens RPG, Josh Sawyer was appointed lead designer on Fallout: New Vegas; recent interviews, a-twitterings, etc. from Avellone Trismegistos indicate he is also working on the project to some degree.

Wow, it really looks like it'll be the true Fallout successor... in lore and setting, that is. I'm glad to see that the NCR will be playing a real role, and judging by the scenery, a more (dys)utopian, fascist one. Might I also add that the omni-masked man bears an uncanny appearance to Tycho's description in Fallout 1... which might also hint at other things.

Either way, it'll probably be a must-play for me; that's certain. :)

Wow, it really looks like it'll be the true Fallout successor... in lore and setting, that is.
It's amazing how you can draw so much info from a pre-rendered video that shows a few city lights off in the distance. Personally, I'll wait until we have some actual substance on the plot and gameplay before I get too excited.

It's amazing how you can draw so much info from a pre-rendered video that shows a few city lights off in the distance.
Yes. It's being developed by individuals who've been involved with the setting once, twice, even thrice. Yes. Considering that the last iteration of Fallout involved vampires, aliens, druids, and any other B-flick material, I'd hazard a fair guess that F:NV will be more true to the setting.

Yes.

recent interviews, a-twitterings, etc. from Avellone Trismegistos indicate he is also working on the project to some degree.

I have already offered flowers and sandalwood to my personally created temple dedicated to Him, and have sought blessings and prayer from Shree Avelloneshwar:

the Godwriter, He Who Has Sixteen Hands and a Pen in Each।

the Originator of the Nameless One, the Father of Kreia।

the BioWarantak, the Bringer of Video Game Story Justice।

oh Originalitydaata and the Crafter of Betrayal Masks ।।

Good info there from StuffWeLike. I like what I'm hearing so far and tbh I never finished fallout 1 or 2 though I have them installed on my PC. Fallout 3 was my first encounter with the franchise but I've done a substantial amount of reading at the wiki and in other places since I played the game. I'll be interested to see how this all plays out and hopefully we'll get a good look at the game at E3 this year and the other gaming shows.

• 1 month later...

It looks SO much like Fallout 3...

Watched my friend's brother play F3 today while skimming through their gaming magazines on the subject and it just gives me Bethesda flashbacks.

It looks... too much like Fallout 3. I know it has its style, but this honestly looks more like another DLC expansion pack instead of a full game. The dead stiff talking, dead and uninviting landscapes, quickly aging graphics, reusing a ton of models it looks like...

I hate Bethesda as a developer. Just throwing that out there. I respect their ability to make a large map to explore, but they are appalling programmers, animators, writers... everything. They are like a jack of all trades of bad with a single shining ace of map building.

I dunno, maybe since Oblivion is doing the writing and, hopefully, fixing the engine it may be more worth an investment than Fallout 3 was but these pics, at least, aren't making me hopeful. Me and my friends spent an hour yesterday just watching his brother utterly break the game engine over and over and over again and he was using the latest patch.

Well, let's see...

It's set in the same post-apocalyptic universe as Fallout 3.

It uses the same engine as Fallout 3.

It's an all-out spinoff that's meant as a psuedo-sequel to Fallout 3.

Yes yes, it may look like Fallout 3, and it does follow the same core gameplay as Fallout 3, but that doesn't mean that it's going to be constrained by all of the previous title's flaws. If any indication, F:NV will definitely stray away from some of the inadequacies of FO3, and will in many ways recycle concepts found in the first two Fallout games, which is most certainly welcome.

It looks... too much like Fallout 3. I know it has its style, but this honestly looks more like another DLC expansion pack instead of a full game. The dead stiff talking, dead and uninviting landscapes, quickly aging graphics, reusing a ton of models it looks like...
... it's a spin-off. Bethesda approached Obsidian to essentially create a sequel-of-sorts to Fallout 3, and if by any indication, it's going to receive similar treatment that KotOR 1 and Fallout 1 had: Not a massive overhaul, but a renovation and improvement of previous concepts.

I hate Bethesda as a developer. Just throwing that out there. I respect their ability to make a large map to explore, but they are appalling programmers, animators, writers... everything. They are like a jack of all trades of bad with a single shining ace of map building.
Agreed, but Bethesda isn't really developing New Vegas, sooo...

Yes yes, it may look like Fallout 3, and it does follow the same core gameplay as Fallout 3, but that doesn't mean that it's going to be constrained by all of the previous title's flaws. If any indication, F:NV will definitely stray away from some of the inadequacies of FO3, and will in many ways recycle concepts found in the first two Fallout games, which is most certainly welcome.

I certainly hope so. If I can give it one thing it is at least guaranteed to have better writing, which may justify watching by itself.

Agreed, but Bethesda isn't really developing New Vegas, sooo...

True, but it is still their engine and everything else at work under the hood. I'll put some faith in Oblivion to improve the writing and tune up the engine, but even with the latest patch Fallout 3 is still pretty broken. Even the community patches can only seemingly do so much. I know its not their style, but if I had this handed to me I'd almost consider rebuilding the engine from the ground up.

Technically it's not Bethesda's engine - it's a modified version of Gamebryo. It's unreasonable to expect Obsidian to build a new engine for it. In the first place, Bethesda would never allow it, and in the second, they only gave them a year to develop the game.

There's a scan of an OXM preview over at NMA - http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=4026 A warning to you Obsidian fanboys though - prepare to vomit in your mouth a little. Whoever wrote it is obviously a Bethesda fanboy and has seemingly never played any other RPGs (judging by some of the retarded things said). Naturally, there are spoilers about the early part of the game.

• 2 months later...

Watched my friend's brother play F3 today while skimming through their gaming magazines on the subject and it just gives me Bethesda flashbacks.

I dunno, maybe since Oblivion is doing the writing and, hopefully, fixing the engine it may be more worth an investment than Fallout 3 was but these pics, at least, aren't making me hopeful. Me and my friends spent an hour yesterday just watching his brother utterly break the game engine over and over and over again and he was using the latest patch.

Appalling enough to have two of their games in the top ten on PC Gamer's list of top 100 PC games of all time!

Also, we get that you hate Bethesda, but don't make up things about their games please. Gamebryo is just as solid as the next game engine. I know there are a lot of videos of bugs on YouTube, but in my 30+ hours of playing I never ran into anything game-breaking with the GotY edition (which is just the original game packed with the DLC). It's perfectly fine if you're not looking for ways to glitch it.

Appalling enough to have two of their games in the top ten on PC Gamer's list of top 100 PC games of all time!

I don't judge the quality of a product based on how many awards it gets. Also, that is probably one of the poorest top 100 lists I've had the displeasure of reading.

Also, we get that you hate Bethesda, but don't make up things about their games please.

So, I'm making things up yet you admit there are plenty, plenty of youtube videos. Lets not forget the pages and pages of issues on forums asking, I dunno, why NPCs disappear out of nowhere, especially plot relevant npcs. How about the plenty of examples of falling through the map, vats crashing the game, the rail way gun crashing the game, ragdolls freaking out and crashing the game/lagging the game, broken quests, room doors breaking and locking you in, freezing, npcs walking through walls and getting stuck, etc.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Role-Playing-General/List-of-Fallout-3-Bugs-and-Glitches/m-p/39445030

I love Fallout 3, Oblivion and even Morrowind, but without mods none of these games would make my favorite list. My only hope for Fallout New Vegas after attempting to play Alpha Protocol is Obsidian version of Fallout is just as easy to mod as Bethesda’s Fallout 3.

Where have I heard that one year deadline before?:rolleyes:

Now I played the 360 version of FO3 and I didn't run into any gamebreaking glitches that I can recall. I'm guessing many of you are playing the PC version so I can't really compare...but I actually enjoyed Fallout 3 and only recently traded it in after I decided I was finally done with it and I'm looking forward to New Vegas.

F3 was pretty terrible... both story and gameplay wise. This better be much better. If they're gonna fill more than half of the explorable land with mindless AI drones who attack you on sight, I'm not even going to bother (it's like hell for a completionist like myself), good story or no.

Archived