Home

Fallout: New Vegas

Pavlos

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought that too until I finally listen to Jeff and updated my video driver on my new computer, now the game is actually enjoyable to play (with about 40 mods going to get rid of almost all of the other annoyances. I just hope Fallout: New Vegas is just as easy to mod.
I think Q's saying that Bethesda's Capital Wasteland was an overall joke in terms of design, setting, and cohesion, evidenced by the claustrophobic, soylent green-tinted landscape. You really can't go lower than that, and seeing as FO:NV is at least staying truer to the desert wastes of classic Fallout, it's improbable that it can go that low, or lower-er.

I agree with all of that, but mods have fixed 99.999999999% of that. My major grip about Fallout 3 was it was unplayable with quest missing NPC and game crashing bugs. Something Bethesda does in common with Obsidian, but in fairness to Bethesda the crashes had more to do with needing to update the driver. Too bad updating the 360 and adding mods was not an option with my last Obsidian game.

CAUTION: RANT

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
What I meant was that Obsidian wouldn't have to try very hard to make a better game than the shallow, soulless, idiotic, banal, boring, dip**** FPS that those talentless hack douchebags over at Bethesduh had the freaking nerve to call Fallout. :swear:

Weak. I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition :kamina:
...................__

............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸

........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...' )

.........\.................'...../

..........''...\.......... _.·´

............\..............( YEH BRO

CAUTION: RANT

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
What I meant was that Obsidian wouldn't have to try very hard to make a better game than the shallow, soulless, idiotic, banal, boring, dip**** FPS that those talentless hack douchebags over at Bethesduh had the freaking nerve to call Fallout. :swear:

True, but I have faith in Obsidian that they can be just as bad if not worse. Guess I did not have that much of a problem with Fallout 3, since I did not play the other Fallouts until after I had played 3 and I pretty much expected NPC to be meaningless after playing Oblivion. I still enjoy the exploration aspects of the game and the ability to play around with different mods.

Careful, the Avellone fanboys will probably stone you to death for such utterances.
Nonsense I wont allow CAD to be killed, I need his purchasing power to continue to encourage the sales of my niche games like Persona. :carms:

PC Gamer Preview

A good read for anyone on the fence as they have almost all good things to say about it. Most important to many of you probably is that it has a much closer feel to the original two Fallout games than Fallout 3 did.

The article contains some useful information, but there are also some amazingly dumb comments in it.

Something else you’ll notice early on (though perhaps not in the opening town of Goodsprings, which is a tad dull) is an overall improvement in characterisation and dialogue. Here, it honestly does feel as though some tenets of the Black Isle legacy are dripping through into the Obsidian melting pot.

Err, I thought that was what Obsidian almost exclusively traded on: non-moronic writing.

As with Fallout 3, many locations are based on real-world places

[intelligence] So, Las Vegas is a real place, you say?

Even if Fallout’s visuals are getting rough around the edges, the VATS system can still be relied on, after so many hours of play, to provide the goods in terms of belly laughs at the sheer outrageousness of its representation of slo-mo body-rips and flailing mid-air carcasses.

Yeah, those IEDs are a barrel of laughs.

Well it would not surprise me if many potential players of this game have never played an Obsidian game before. Regardless of the quality of the titles, KotOR 2, NWN2, and Alpha Protocol were not super popular so Obsidian probably has more skeptics and people who are unfamiliar with them than people who know them as people from Black Isle.

If you love VATs then no doubt you'll be delighted to hear that they have added the slo-mo replay "feature" to the real-time gunplay as well (as shown in one of the videos I posted the other day). I guess they figured people just couldn't get enough of it. Although perhaps it shouldn't be surprising given that Bethesda seemed to put forward Bloody Mess as a major selling point of FO3.

KotOR 2
were not super popular
Last time I checked, K2 sold nearly as well as the first, and the fact that both games continue to sell five years later is certainly telling of something...

...unless if you meant critically popular; well, that's a matter of opinion, then. I'd say it's developed a cult following - that's for sure - which could equate to popularity, for some.

True, but I have faith in Obsidian that they can be just as bad if not worse.
You're joking, right?

You're joking, right?
Somewhat. I have no doubt whatsoever that it will be well written and have the depth Bethesda cannot even imagine. However, after hearing all the ambitious talk from Obsidian I’m weary of a huge letdown considering despite the many flaws in Fallout 3, I have played through it many times and have enjoyed it. Some of my tension has been relieved by articles such as the one Jeff posted. BTW I enjoyed both Oblivion and Fallout 3 just as much if not more than AP (although I do need to give AP another run through).

True, but I have faith in Obsidian that they can be just as bad if not worse. Guess I did not have that much of a problem with Fallout 3, since I did not play the other Fallouts until after I had played 3 and I pretty much expected NPC to be meaningless after playing Oblivion. I still enjoy the exploration aspects of the game and the ability to play around with different mods.

I played 1&2 first and found 3 impossible to enjoy. Got to Megaton, talked to a couple of people, then immediately uninstalled it.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that what PX means by "claustrophobic" is that 1&2 were played from an isometric, top-down perspective (the way CRPGs are meant to be played) and being pigeon-holed into playing first- or third-person can have just such an effect. Isometric rules, because it's like playing god.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that what PX means by "claustrophobic" is that 1&2 were played from an isometric, top-down perspective (the way CRPGs are meant to be played) and being pigeon-holed into playing first- or third-person can have just such an effect. Isometric rules, because it's like playing god.
That, and Bethesda tried to fill the landscape with ACTION. Find a slaver camp, cross the highway, find an abandoned factory full of who-knows-what. Every stretch of the metro tunnels had a "monster of the station"; some horde of ghouls/mole rats/deathclaws that were spawned to become cannon fodder, blender-style. Rinse, lather, repeat ad nauseum.

Archived