Home

Task Manager & Registry Editor disabled?

RC-1162

My task manager and registry editor funtions have been mysteriously disabled. The exact error message is:

Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator

Registry Editor has been disabled by your administrator

This problem is affecting my laptop, which runs XP Pro and also my desktop, which runs Vista Home. I don't understand how they could suddenly get disabled, and also how BOTH my computers have the same problem. I log on using the Admin acct. on both the systems.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong and how I can re-enable them? What exactly would cause this?

First of all, what sort of antivirus and antispyware/malware software do you have installed?

Secondly, use this free online scanner to find out if you have any viruses, trojans or worms.

Thirdly, download, install, update and run these two scanners: SuperAntiSpyware; Ad-Aware.

These three scanners should tell you if you have any kind of malware. You'll have to use all three to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator

I had this before from a virus I removed, I will try to find the fix that I used.

EDIT: Try this

Method 2: Change the Task Manager Option through the Run line

Click on Start, Run and type the following command exactly and press Enter

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Source

Archived