Home

Kotor Savegame Editor on Mac

Hi everyone,

Before I talk about KSE for Mac, I have to say one thing: I am no computer expert. I am just trying to get some help to possibly run KSE on my Mac.

I am using CrossOver to try to run the .exe file and I am stuck. I run it, I browse for the file, I select the "saves" folder in ~/ Documents/ Knights of the Old Republic/ saves, then I choose KotOR, and then it says "could not find saves directory for KotOR1." any help? links to other posts? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and the browser does not let me expand the "saves" folder to choose something inside it.

Alright, for those Mac users that wanna run KSE on Mac if they don't know how, you can use a trial or buy the full version of CrossOver for Mac, and depending on what you buy, you may also get CrossOver Games. But all you need is CrossOver. When you have CrossOver, download KSE. Double click on the folder, and RIGHT CLICK the kse.exe(whatever version you have). Go to the "Open With >" Menu, and select CrossOver. Then, wait 10 or so seconds for it to load. Now, press the little expand (+) button next to documents and find "Knights of the Old Republic." DO NOT expand that folder. Simply select it, and choose it. Select KOTOR1, not TSL. Now, you should remember which game you wanted to edit. For example, if you had a game titled "Game 3," and it was third from the top of the list in the Load Menu, select "Game 000003" or whatever it says.

• 3 months later...

That doesn't quite work....I mean it does, but because the saves on a mac are in the Documents folder rather than the application folder, if you need to add items to your inventory, they don't always show up and there are a couple of other issues.

So the easiest way around it is to go to your Documents folder, find the "saves" folder and drag that into your KOTOR installation folder in Applications. Then run KSE and when locating the folder, click hard drive >applications>Knights..... and KSE will run exactly as it does on PC with all the same features.

Once you have modified your save, simply bring the "saves" folder from the installation folder in Applications back into the KOTOR folder in Documents.

That doesn't quite work....I mean it does, but because the saves on a mac are in the Documents folder rather than the application folder, if you need to add items to your inventory, they don't always show up and there are a couple of other issues.

So the easiest way around it is to go to your Documents folder, find the "saves" folder and drag that into your KOTOR installation folder in Applications. Then run KSE and when locating the folder, click hard drive >applications>Knights..... and KSE will run exactly as it does on PC with all the same features.

Once you have modified your save, simply bring the "saves" folder from the installation folder in Applications back into the KOTOR folder in Documents.

That's... um... a very ugly way to go about it. :-)

Try creating a symbolic link in the terminal to the correct location:

sudo ln -s ~/Documents/SWKotOR/saves /Applications/Knights/saves

Hopefully I got the directory structure correct, because I've never used OSX.

• 1 year later...

Hey RoknRic!

Did you happen to read any of the posts, uh, directly before your own? It seems that vadakin's post (#5) explains that the saves are in the Documents folder. In that post he describes a brute force approach to making things work, and in post #6 N** gives an idea for escaping some of that brutishness by making a symbolic link.

All this assumes that you have some way to use KSE on a Mac OS... wine or something akin.

Never hurts to read in the thread you're posting in :thumbsup:

Hey RoknRic!

Did you happen to read any of the posts, uh, directly before your own? It seems that vadakin's post (#5) explains that the saves are in the Documents folder. In that post he describes a brute force approach to making things work, and in post #6 N** gives an idea for escaping some of that brutishness by making a symbolic link.

All this assumes that you have some way to use KSE on a Mac OS... wine or something akin.

Never hurts to read in the thread you're posting in :thumbsup:

If he is using the App store version then the save game files are located in a different place. They are here:

[user]>Library>application support>Knights of the old Republic>Saves

[user] would vary by person obviously.

The App store version is reasonably new is structured differently than the older mac version. The good news it it plays much better...

Bull

• 7 months later...

Hey, I'm having trouble with KSE.

I'm using CrossOver on a MacBook Pro and was able to get KSE running. At first I had some trouble with 'bottles' in CrossOver and suspect this may be part of my current problem. Initially I had no bottles so I created a new one and made it the default bottle. I'm not sure if this is the proper procedure for running KSE with CrossOver. However, as I mentioned, KSE is running - just with some hiccups.

My actual problem, and reason for posting, is that within KSE I am unable to view many fields. I can change stats and credits and a few other things. The feats of my PC and NPCs are the fields that I cannot view or change. I can expand the 'Feats' field but I cannot see any of my current feats or add any new ones. Similarly I cannot change force powers.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Hey, I'm having trouble with KSE.

I'm using CrossOver on a MacBook Pro and was able to get KSE running. At first I had some trouble with 'bottles' in CrossOver and suspect this may be part of my current problem. Initially I had no bottles so I created a new one and made it the default bottle. I'm not sure if this is the proper procedure for running KSE with CrossOver. However, as I mentioned, KSE is running - just with some hiccups.

My actual problem, and reason for posting, is that within KSE I am unable to view many fields. I can change stats and credits and a few other things. The feats of my PC and NPCs are the fields that I cannot view or change. I can expand the 'Feats' field but I cannot see any of my current feats or add any new ones. Similarly I cannot change force powers.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I have had this problem every time that I use KSE myself. I have posted questions in different threads without response, and I have even transferred the saves with a USB to my PC and used the PC version of KSE. That also doesn't work, so I do not think that the Mac or CrossOver has a problem, I think that the problem is that KSE feats/powers editing do not work for Knights of the Old Republic I, but they do work for KotOR II.

Archived