Home

4 classes per side

Tommycat

Ok at first I was upset about the limitation of BH to Sith only. I figured that meant that it was 4 classes per side. That meant it would be severely limiting. Then I thought about it some more.

In the original KotOR we had a total of 3 classes to choose from(in the beginning). It didn't seem limiting or boring even though all 3 essentially walked through the same footsteps of each other. However with TOR, each class will have its own story line. So even IF there are only 4 per side, it isn't like other MMO's where even with 30 different classes you essentially run the same course in leveling. If they keep some of the ideas from KotOR even two Bounty Hunters may not be even near the same.

So with that out of the way, what are your thoughts on how even if it's only 4 classes per side, it could still be more diverse than games with 8 or more classes not attached to a side.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, in KotOR, the choice of your class would only influence how you'd handle combat situations. In TOR, each class will experience its own story within the bigger picture.

If there are 8 classes in total, then the amount of content to explore, and the amount of stories to get told will be vast. To tell each story with the same kind of quality, and making a unique experience for every class, is something else, and will be the real challenge.

• 1 month later...

Interesting to note that the SWTOR site now has 8 classes.

Looks like 4 per side may be a reality.

Here's my speculation

Sith side:

Sith<- referenced enough times likely to be a class

BH

StormTrooper?(mentioned in the gamespot interview as a class)

medic?<- pure speculation

Reoublic side:

Jedi<- referenced enough times likely to be a class

Commando

Smuggler(official now as it has it's own class forum and they only like mentioned the smuggler class like 8000 times in all the interviews for E3)

Doctor?<- pure speculation

Promoting a huge number of »different playable classes« is one of the most mis-used and deceiving proclamations in the realm of MMORPGs. Seriously, what does it really matter, if a game has 30 different classes to choose from if the only thing that sets each class apart is e.g. one single talent or backstory twist.

I'd prefer keeping it bold and simple, with only a few classes to choose from, as long as these classes are perfected and solid. Besides, if all things go as planned, I'll only be experiencing one of these classes post-launch and hopefully in quite some time thereafter.

I imagine The trooper and Bounty Hunter will be the Brute/Tough Guy of the bunch.

Smuggler...well, it'll probably be a smidgen tougher physically than scoundrel for K1.

I'd imagine some kind of Scout or Technician class?

Yeah I'd imagine some kind of "all brains" class...politician or scholar, perhaps?

Meh, just guesses.

Well, the smuggler class probably is that scout class.

GS: We also understand that this profession will be highly skilled at reconnaissance. What are some of the scouting skills and abilities that smugglers will have at their disposal?

Damion Schubert: In the battlefield, the smuggler's skills allow him to find cover spots overlooked by others. The smuggler is also very good at moving around unseen and can use the element of surprise to deadly effects.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210545/star-wars-the-old-republic-exclusive-qanda-the-smuggler-profession-and-e3-2009?tag=top_stories;story;2

I've heard people wondering what "class" the Twi'lek companion in the Deceived cinematic could have been. Although I usually don't entertain the idea of going in too deep with cinematics, dissecting them into game terms, I find it kind of interesting still. Particularly by the short scene where the Twi'lek is shooting dual blasters. I mean, this character seems quite independent of its Sith master that I probably could imagine some kind of purpose with this. Besides, the Bounty Hunter is portrayed...so...who knows.

I don't think they are the same.

I think BH and Trooper mirror each other.

I do believe that there will be a similar class as the smuggler, on the Sith side. I'm just not sure what. But I just think that an assassin would be too similar to BH. Just take Zam Wesell as an example.

I don't think they are the same.

I think BH and Trooper mirror each other.

I do believe that there will be a similar class as the smuggler, on the Sith side. I'm just not sure what. But I just think that an assassin would be too similar to BH. Just take Zam Wesell as an example.

I agree with you, there will definitely be a counterpart to the Smuggler, but I can't think of what it will be.

Healer class for each side? Its a staple of most mmo's. But it will be hard making a fun storyline for a straight up healer class. I would enjoy for once having a mmo with no healer class. It would be nice when wanting to do group stuff you just take what ever guys you want. None of the needing tanks healers and fill in rest with dps.

I'm actually kind of wondering if the healer class will be in the game. Granted ya kinda need them for group runs to rez. But it would be neat to see if they can somehow impliment a system where you don't NEED to have a healer class.

Id really love it if you couldnt choose to be a jedi/sith. I dont want another Post Song SWG where every man and his dog is a jedi running around.

People should have to full fill some sort of quest/criteria to become part of either faction. Whether its similiar to holo village or what ever :)

Being a Jedi or a Sith is a fundamental element in TOR. If you don't want that this is not the game for you. It's always been planned and it what this period of time is about. The problem in SWG was that there were no accounting of Jedis being around in that period. So the fact that some were just romaing about, casually, totally ruined the game in its context.

This is worlds different.

Yeah, in this time period there are thousands of Jedi and Sith across the galaxy, so it would make no sense not to have them playable from the get-go. That is why this is such a perfect setting for an MMO, because everyone wants to be a Jedi or Sith and now it actually makes sense that there will be so many.

They aren't better than other classes. Balance is essential to MMO's, and they won't forsake that because in almost every story, the Jedi is better than the normal soldier. But it's not so far-fetched to think of a non-Jedi to be as powerful as one. We aren't talking about a normal soldier with his blaster pistol. We're talking about the most elite soldiers of the Republic, the best Bounty Hunters in the galaxy, the best smugglers in the world.

I also think we'll see a lot of people not choosing Jedi or Sith as their main. The Bounty Hunter class, especially, attracts a lot of attention.

Wouldn't the Jedi stand in for a healer class ?

I mean most lightside powers in SW games are all about protection, improving (buffs and stuff) and healing.

Though the Sith ofcourse don't do things that way...

It'll be nice to know what these last classes might be.

Perhaps you can play as an Astro droid :lol:

Supreme hacking skills!

Archived