Home

You'll probably laugh at me for this (again), but...

Bad Asp!

If Lucasarts no longer has any rights to the Sam & Max license, then they shouldn't have any rights to Sam and Max Hit the Road or Sam and Max: Freelance Police! Why is that company still holding those games hostage?

They have the rights to those GAMES, but not the characters. They can still release Hit the Road. Freelance Police isn't hostage, by the way, it's more...executed and dead.

Shouldn't someone place a restraining order against Lucasarts so that they're forced to hand over the programming code to those games, along with the development tools that were used to make those games?

1. Restraining order that forces you to release the "hostages"? News to me.

2. You can't place a restraining order on a company.

3. It's not LucasArts that needs a restraining order.

4. Pretty sure LucasArts can do whatever the **** it wants to do, and in fact can't hand over the development tools because they're either patented (Hit the Road) or rented/not theirs/also patented/I have no ****ing clue (Freelance Police).

Freelance Police is dead. Go bother someone else.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Lucasarts no longer has any rights to the Sam & Max license, then they shouldn't have any rights to Sam and Max Hit the Road or Sam and Max: Freelance Police!

That's not how it works. LucasArts' rights to develop and sell new games for the Sam & Max license are what expired and what are now in the hands of Telltale. LucasArts still fully owns the rights to Hit the Road and whatever exists/existed of Freelance Police. It's theirs to do what they want with, including sitting on it forever. No one's saying they're happy about it (Hit the Road should be made much more widely available), but it's also not our decision.

Of course, the fact that you propose filing a "restraining order" (?!) against LEC in order to somehow force them (what?) to give up their own assets (I beg your pardon?) demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of legalities, or indeed just plain logic.

Because ever since the new Sam and Max games have been released, Freelance Police has been unfairly maligned! You people keep saying the new games are better, and you also keep saying the new voices are better!

No one can say that the new games are better or worse than Freelance Police because Freelance Police doesn't exist, and a game can't be maligned if it doesn't exist. All that does exist is a trailer and some screenshots and whatever you imagined about it to complete the picture in your head. That said, many people find the new Sam & Max games to be very good, and considering that they're made by much of the same people who worked on Freelance Police, it's hard to believe that the canceled game could have been substantially better, and it's pretty clear that Telltale's involvement with Sam & Max is doing way more for the license than would have happened under LEC. No one's doubting that Freelance Police was a game that deserved to get released, but your attitude is wrongheaded to the max.

It's your right to dislike voice actors and lament the cancellation of a video game. But when you rant and rave like a lunatic about things you clearly know absolutely nothing about, you shouldn't act all offended when someone calls you out on it.

You know, it's actually pretty funny watching everyone get all exasperated over Bad Asp. I'm starting to think he's just stringing you guys along for laughs.

I'd treat it that way, but he's been pulling this stunt at the Telltale forum as well. I thought it was a joke at first, and then slowly but surely, realisation started to set-in.

2. You can't place a restraining order on a company.

Really? What about the restraining order that was placed on Activision, demanding that they handed over the source code for "Scratch: The Ultimate D.J."?

Look at this article if you don't believe me:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58245

And here's a follow-up article, indicating that the source code might have exchanged hands:

http://kotaku.com/5251097/scratch-dj-activision-set-to-do-cash-for-code-swap

So, yeah, a restraining order can be placed on Lucasarts, and could very well force them to hand over the source code to Freelance Police.

Doing research ROCKS!

Really? What about the restraining order that was placed on Activision, demanding that they handed over the source code for "Scratch: The Ultimate D.J."?

1) Who had the rights to the "Scratch" source code? (Hint: it was not Activision)

2) Who has the rights to the "Freelance Police" source code? (Hint: it is LucasArts)

Conclusion: Nobody can make a case against LucasArts, since they're "holding hostage" their own property. Which isn't illegal by any law, I hope.

Look at this article if you don't believe me:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58245

And here's a follow-up article, indicating that the source code might have exchanged hands:

http://kotaku.com/5251097/scratch-dj-activision-set-to-do-cash-for-code-swap

So, yeah, a restraining order can be placed on Lucasarts, and could very well force them to hand over the source code to Freelance Police.

Doing research ROCKS!

You know I never really gauged at your incompetence until now. YOU are going to place a restraining order on LucasArts?! Then go ahead man, go out there and do it!

Bad Asp!: after checking out the (now closed) thread on TellTales forums, I have to say, you are one of the rudest, self-obsessed, condescending and sad people I have witnessed voicing their 'opinion' on a forum. ever. ever ever.

You need to stop all this and get help.

1) Who had the rights to the "Scratch" source code? (Hint: it was not Activision)

2) Who has the rights to the "Freelance Police" source code? (Hint: it is LucasArts)

Conclusion: Nobody can make a case against LucasArts, since they're "holding hostage" their own property. Which isn't illegal by any law, I hope.

So do I.. but Bad Asp!.. do it man.. i want to see it...

Can we not descend to calling Bad Asp! names like "the forum douche" and "sad"?

I'm not saying you have to agree with his views -- and I will of course support your right on this forum to disagree with him -- but I don't think that calling names is either necessary or pleasant.

A lot of people are acting like he's personally offended them with his views -- and I don't see why this should be the case.

Sometimes its the maddest people who are also the most sane.

Can we not descend to calling Bad Asp! names like "the forum douche" and "sad"?

I'm not saying you have to agree with his views -- and I will of course support your right on this forum to disagree with him -- but I don't think that calling names is either necessary or pleasant.

A lot of people are acting like he's personally offended them with his views -- and I don't see why this should be the case.

Sometimes its the maddest people who are also the most sane.

Yeah, that's definitely the case with Bad Asp!.

That having been said, I should apologise for the insult. Sorry dude.

Still, this is a hopeless cause. Better luck resurrecting Abe Lincoln from the dead, really.

I don't think it's that hard to see why, considering he's made some pretty insulting accusations, among them the insinuation that people who happen to not believe that there's a ridiculous corporate agenda/conspiracy to specifically piss him off are failing to see what's right in front of them. He also seems to imply that people who disagree with his opinions are somehow disloyal, and his constant talk about the need to take action when it's clear he's never done anything to further his cause outside of making forum threads comes off as sort of disingenuous. Obviously, I think it's unlikely that anyone takes his attitude to heart to the point that they'd be deeply offended, but if Bad Asp!'s potential emotional reactions are to be treated so seriously and sensitively, then the other forum members deserve the same privilege, even if they're not whining about it.

Bad Asp! should be allowed to speak his mind, and so should the people he's going out of his way to rile up. There's also a difference between frankness and hostility. If he can't take it, then he can exercise his right to stop posting. I hope, however, that he sticks around. I think that article of his could be eye-opening and possibly completely change the way I look at things.

The only reason Mother 3 was uncancelled was because people actually put in an effort to bring it back from the dead!

Whoah. The Gloves Are Coming Off.

Mother 3 was never uncancelled, first off. It was released in Japan to a lackluster audience, sold really poorly, and was never, ever released here, in Britain, or anywhere else.

The People who did put in an effort to bring it back from the dead, ended up hacking and translating the entire thing themselves because a PETITION didn't work. They tried articles, they tried fundraisers, they tried spamming Nintendo headquarters. All these things failed. So, in that unique resourcefulness so peculiar to the Earthbound fan, they said "Forget Nintendo, Fans have more power than a corporation anyways", and spent five years UNPAID to get the god blessed thing into English. Granted, they pirated, but people were encouraged to import anyway, just in case it would make a difference.

It didn't.

So, after witnessing first hand, the five year struggle that Reidman, Tomato, And Co. underwent to appease fans who would've HAD to go without a sequel in spite of enormous community intervention, you mean to tell all the fine folks here at Mojo that our time as journalists, as critics, as gamers, is better spent pursuing a game which long prior went down the plughole (Freelance Police), than covering truly great works? Works old, new? Grim Fandango and MI2, Deathspank and Brutal Legend?

Add to this supposed call to action the fact that, unlike Starmen, we actually RECEIVED a sequel to Hit The Road, and your entire conspiracy theory falls to pieces. Voice acting does not a shoddy sequel make; although I too decry the abscence of Hit The Road's Noir ramblings, the new games still smack of brilliant design, splendid writing, and smart layout. If they offend in sound, then play the old-fashioned way: Turn your speakers off! But by all means, cease pestering a fan community in all ways paragon!

That Ran long. We look forward to your article.

Just for the record, Bad Asp! is not trolling, and he will not ever, ever, ever be banned.

You go, Aspy! Don't let the bastards grind you down! I'm looking forward to this article and reading more of your thoughts.

"Paranoia is knowing all the facts."

You're a very naughty boy.

Well, as Bad Asp! got no support(as usual), he has chosen to continue his ... debate in the comments section of the newsitem concerning the special edition of Monkey Island. Feel free to head on over there if you have something to share with the class:P

In unrelated news, I just had to stop my dog from chasing a runaway cow, as he was being kicked in the head by it repeatedly but still wouldn't quit.

Sometimes dogs(and people) just don't know what's good for them, or when to give it up:P

Archived