Home

You'll probably laugh at me for this (again), but...

Bad Asp!

Since online petitions have failed to get Lucasarts' attention, I say we make an old-fashioned petition instead. You know, using the pen-and-paper method? Where you print out a sheet of paper that contains your request, along with several blank signatures, and you hoof it over to areas that contain lots of traffic, like parks or shopping centers or whatever, and convince people to sign the petition?

That's right. I'm thinking of actually writing one that way, because I think that's the reason my previous petitions haven't worked -- they were online! That's why the 32600-signature Sam & Max petition didn't work -- it was online! That's why those other five-digit signature Lucasarts petitions didn't work -- they were online!

Should we do it?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think petitions in general fail unless you're dealing with the government. Waste of time IMO. :/
This. LucasArts really doesn't care how many people want Freelance Police just as much as they don't care how many people want a TIE Fighter sequel or one of the other numerous sequels fans have been asking for. They will make Force Unleashed 2 and sell just as many as the first one and think because of that that people like it.

/rant

Um... what's this petition going to be about then?

It's a petition that, surprisingly, isn't going to be aimed directly at Lucasarts! How about that, huh?

I plan to make my petition toward an organization that I believe is more powerful than Lucasarts, like the Federal Trade Commission. In my petition, I will detail each and every single thing that Lucasarts did to alienate its fanbase, and I will also request an investigation of the company. I want the Federal Trade Commission to be aware of what Lucasarts has done recently, and I believe the more people inform the FTC of Lucasarts, the better. And of course, it'll be the old-fashioned print-it-out-and-take-it-with-you-to-and-get-people-to-sign-it kind of thing.

And, by the way, the petition is the article I've finally decided to write!

But I don't know if I can do this petition alone... :cry6:

:ugh:

1) You can't expect people to support a petition without knowing exactly what that petition says.

2) The ineffectiveness of your petitions was not because they were online, it's because they were petitions.

3) The FTC has a formal complaints procedure and will not respond to anything else. That includes petitions.

4) It is my understanding that the FTC can only step in when a company has broken the law, which LucasArts has not done.

But I don't know if I can do this petition alone... :cry6:

Every couple of months you come around with one of these ideas and attempt to rally support and when you don't get any followers, you just back off only to reappear later to repeat the process. You love to rant and rave but you don't love actually doing anything about what you claim to be so passionate about. You, sir, are a slacktivist. The only way LEC will listen to you is if you physically go to their office and demand that they do. It is mandatory that you bring a camera man.

And you know, petitions don't do anything. Ever. If you want to give your thoughts some exposure, you should send us that article you said you would and we can post it on the front page! Otherwise, put up or shut up.

Every couple of months you come around with one of these ideas and attempt to rally support and when you don't get any followers, you just back off only to reappear later to repeat the process. You love to rant and rave but you don't love actually doing anything about what you claim to be so passionate about. You, sir, are a slacktivist. The only way LEC will listen to you is if you physically go to their office and demand that they do. It is mandatory that you bring a camera man.

And you know, petitions don't do anything. Ever. If you want to give your thoughts some exposure, you should send us that article you said you would and we can post it on the front page! Otherwise, put up or shut up.

I wish I could physically go to their office, but that's WAAAAAAAY over in San Francisco and I'm in New England. And I don't have a job that pays me enough money to travel over there. Why can't it be someone who actually lives near Lucasarts? Why can't that person just walk over to the Lucasarts building and talk to them himself so I don't have to be the one who pays for plane tickets?

And don't tell me that petitions don't do anything. What about the petition to save Mother 3?

By the way, you people have given me a good topic for the article I'm going to write!:p

I wish I could physically go to their office, but that's WAAAAAAAY over in San Francisco and I'm in New England. And I don't have a job that pays me enough money to travel over there. Why can't it be someone who actually lives near Lucasarts? Why can't that person just walk over to the Lucasarts building and talk to them himself so I don't have to be the one who pays for plane tickets?

Why should we have to listen to you moan and groan if you're not willing to back up your loudness with actual action?

And don't tell me that petitions don't do anything. What about the petition to save Mother 3?

I'm not familiar with that, why don't you explain it to me? A quick Wikipedia search talks about a petition to get the N64 version an international release, which failed.

By the way, you people have given me a good topic for the article I'm going to write!:p

Awesome!

By the way, I'm going to reveal the name of my article. It's called:

"You're Supposed To Be Saving Sam And Max!"

It's an editorial from an angry adventure gamer who believes that the Sam and Max franchise has not been fully resurrected, and is instead being sabotaged. And guess who the angry adventure gamer is?

That was unnecessarily aggressive, Jona. I think I've seen your type in the pub as well: the sort who picks fights with people just because they don't fit into their limited view of the world.

We may not all agree with Bas Asp! but we've got to respect his views. I won't warn you again.

No, that's fine Gabez, warning accepted:) I've actually never been in a fight my entire life, mostly because I always speak my opinion and reply with arguments when people contradict me. I respect his rights to have an opinion like I do all others in this world, I, however, preserve the right to disagree with them(i.e. having an opinion of my own).

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

To be quite frank, I think my view of the world is more open than most peoples. I don't stick my finger in my ears and go la-la-la-la when somebody says something I don't agree with or want to hear for one.:) This political correctness you see everywhere these days has gone way too far, after all, that is what the internet is for, having an opinion and being allowed to share it with others no matter what it is. But people are also allowed to contradict these opinions, thats what's so great about it IMHO:)

np.

Some more of my favorite quotes on independent thought, just for fun:

"An open mind is not the same as a hole in the head."

"If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out."

And finally, from our all beloved protagonist;

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but ... "

How about you post that list here first? I'm interested to see what's driving your passion.

Okay, here's that list!

1. Lucasarts cancelled Sam and Max: Freelance Police. But I think you people already know about that.

But maybe this article will jog your memory, just in case:

http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/site/gamedb.php?gameid=30

Oh, by the way, I still want it.

2. They rushed Obsidian Entertainment, forcing them to release Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 in an incomplete (and glitchy) state. Also, they refused to allow Obsidian to finish it.

http://www.eucantina.net/interview-with-writer-chris-avellone

3. They completely changed the format of Star Wars Galaxies in late 2005, removing a whole lot of character classes, making the ultra-powerful Jedi class available from the start, and forcing all their existing customers to start over from scratch.

http://blog.tp.org/chip/archives/002076.html

http://shopping.msn.com/reviews/star-wars-galaxies-starter-kit/itemid99271306/?itemtext=itemname:star-wars-galaxies-starter-kit

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Galaxies-Starter-Kit-Pc/product-reviews/B000BKF2I4

Oh, and they still won't fix whatever bugs are in the game.

4. They refused to make recent games such as "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed", "Fracture", "Clone Wars" and "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings" for the PC.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/lucasarts_slammed_for_no_pc_force_unleashed.html

5. They refused to re-release any of their graphic adventures in the United States. They lied about the cartridge size of the Nintendo DS, claiming "there's literally not enough room on those carts to put the games out" - so the 2048-Mb Clone Wars: Jedi Alliance has less meg of data than the 6-Mb Maniac Mansion, which, by the way, can also fit onto an NES cartridge?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/lucasarts-could-revive-graphic-adventures

Do the math! 2048 > 6! If the DS carts hold as much as Lucasarts claimed, at least 99% of the DS games out there today would not exist! 2048 Mb means big games like Monkey Island 4 and Grim Fandango can probably fit on there!

That interview also claimed the company was still making adventure games, but in the "survival horror" variety. How come I haven't seen any?

This list is probably incomplete...

Archived