Home

You'll probably laugh at me for this (again), but...

Bad Asp!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Well, this stuff is the real deal, but perhaps not in the way we would have wanted. See, it's dated from almost four years ago, in early/mid 2004. Now a quick wiki check reveals that KOTOR II was released in 2005, and that much of that game was left on the cutting room floor to ensure a holiday release. So in all likelihood these concepts are from that game, just never used." - doesn't sound like KOTOR 3 to me!

Star Wars Galaxies is made by SOE, not LucasArts. Blame them for any ****ups.

"Do the math!" - I did and you obviously did not. GF and EMI are both on two CDs, and over a gigabyte in size. The DS supports game cards up to 2048 megaBIT, which is 256 megaBYTE. Yes, they could probably fit the older games on there if they scaled the graphics, rewrote the engine to support the DS, and changed the soundtrack to work with that. It amuses me that people go "They should release it on the DS", like they just need to copy the game data to a DS cart and off they go.

So.. Bad Asp!.. i take t you dont like the Samnmax-series that Telltale made?? otherwise.. why spend all your creative energy on something like this.. its not gonna change...no disrespect m8...

Oh btw...

Star Wars Galaxies is made by SOE, not LucasArts. Blame them for any ****ups.

Its was LucasArts who made the call on the CU and NGE. same reason SWG-players dosent get as much love as the other SOE-games-- because LucasArts need to approve of everything....

"Well, this stuff is the real deal, but perhaps not in the way we would have wanted. See, it's dated from almost four years ago, in early/mid 2004. Now a quick wiki check reveals that KOTOR II was released in 2005, and that much of that game was left on the cutting room floor to ensure a holiday release. So in all likelihood these concepts are from that game, just never used." - doesn't sound like KOTOR 3 to me!

That was the first link which popped up. :xp: I'm lazy. Anyway, if that's true, then why was the folder on his site entitled "KotOR III"? Seems like a dumb idea to code-name a sequel to the first game "KotOR III". Also, KotOR 2 was released in 2004, not 2005.

So, you have compiled a list of things (fairly trivial things, it must be said) LucasArts have done that annoy you. Things that were all commercial decisions. So you want the Federal Trade Commission to investigate them for acting like every other business in the country?

Right-ho.

So.. Bad Asp!.. i take t you dont like the Samnmax-series that Telltale made?? otherwise.. why spend all your creative energy on something like this.. its not gonna change...no disrespect m8...

I do like the Sam and Max series that Telltale made... but I just feel the voices for both Sam and Max are a bit... blah. Like someone forced them into sounding this way.

I only wish there was some kind of "Enhanced Edition" - remember the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher? Yeah, these people rerecorded all the lines of dialogue in that game after listening to complaints about the acting. I think an Enhanced Edition of the Sam and Max series would be an awesome idea. Sam and Max fans would finally be able to hear Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson, the original voice actors, voice their characters again! I know there was a poll on this message board that asked who should do the voices again, and Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson were WAY out in front.

Take a look at this thread and tell me I'm lying:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=77594&highlight=voices

So, you have compiled a list of things (fairly trivial things, it must be said) LucasArts have done that annoy you. Things that were all commercial decisions. So you want the Federal Trade Commission to investigate them for acting like every other business in the country?

Um, every other business in the country did not cancel games that people wanted, ignore their customers, rush games that should have been given more time, screw up the existing accounts of millions of online gamers, and lie about the DS' cartridge size! Every other business in the country couldn't have done all of those!

Do you see Nintendo throwing Mario under the bus? No! Does Square Enix treat Final Fantasy IV like trash? No! Does Capcom refuse to put any of its games on Xbox Live Arcade or the Virtual Console? No! Why? Because none of those companies are Lucasarts!

Lucasarts does NOT act like every other business in the country. Although it would be AWESOME if they actually DID!

And please don't make it so every other business in the country acts like Lucasarts, because I don't want THAT!

I do like the Sam and Max series that Telltale made... but I just feel the voices for both Sam and Max are a bit... blah. Like someone forced them into sounding this way.

I only wish there was some kind of "Enhanced Edition" - remember the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher? Yeah, these people rerecorded all the lines of dialogue in that game after listening to complaints about the acting. I think an Enhanced Edition of the Sam and Max series would be an awesome idea. Sam and Max fans would finally be able to hear Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson, the original voice actors, voice their characters again! I know there was a poll on this message board that asked who should do the voices again, and Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson were WAY out in front.

Take a look at this thread and tell me I'm lying:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=77594&highlight=voices

So you honestly think Lucasarts is going to listen to you? You think you'll succeed in convincing them after thousands of others have failed. Well when the day that happens comes along i'll never bad mouth or put down a petition ever again

It's a company's right to release (or not release) a product. You will find a solid commercial reason for every decision LucasArts has made. You mightn't agree with that decision, but it will be there all the same. A business is there to make money, and unpopular decisions will be made in order to maximise the amount of revenue coming in.

You're making it sound like there's some sort of ridiculous agenda in place just to piss you off.

It's a company's right to release (or not release) a product. You will find a solid commercial reason for every decision LucasArts has made. You mightn't agree with that decision, but it will be there all the same. A business is there to make money, and unpopular decisions will be made in order to maximise the amount of revenue coming in.

You're making it sound like there's some sort of ridiculous agenda in place just to piss you off.

I agree with jp-30. A company, especially a gaming one, is only there to make a profit not to please every single little fan. I'm not trying to smash your dreams but lets face facts Lucasrts ain't going back to adventure games.

Maybe in the future there will be some remakes here and there, but right now it ain't gonna happen.

So you honestly think Lucasarts is going to listen to you? You think you'll succeed in convincing them after thousands of others have failed. Well when the day that happens comes along i'll never bad mouth or put down a petition ever again

God, I hope that day comes quickly. It would be sweet vindication indeed.

It's a company's right to release (or not release) a product. You will find a solid commercial reason for every decision LucasArts has made.

Bet I won't!

You mightn't agree with that decision, but it will be there all the same. A business is there to make money, and unpopular decisions will be made in order to maximise the amount of revenue coming in.

And you're making it sound like there isn't one.

Alright... lets face it... even if LucasArts someday got out of bed and wantede to make adventuregames again.... they wouldnt have the people, like Tim, Bill or Ron, who made the games we love so much... so it would never be the same.

LucasArts are making lots of cash on Star Wars games. and still, even how bad they make em, there are still millions of star wars fan buying em. that might be an overstatement, but you get my drift.

anyway you look at it... we aint gonna win. and by we, i mainly mean you Bad Asp!.. no offence... but let it go.. :giveup::giveup:

i on the other hand think the voices are great, in telltales games. and as a soundengineer i think they did a great job. :thmbup1:

Bet I won't!

Really? Some of the reasons you've mentioned...

"LucasArts cancelled Sam and Max Free Lance Police"

LucasArts were worried due to their other orginal offerings not selling well (Armed and Dangerous, ect.) that this game would suffer the same fate and so cancelled it.

"Rushed Obisidian..."

Isn't that kind of obvious? Holiday season? More games bought at Christmas than any other time of year...

"LucasArts mucked Galaxies, making Jedi available at the start..."

To encourage new customers that might have been annoyed that they could not access the Jedi class at the start to play the game and give their cash to LucasArts?

"No PC Ports"

The threat of PC piracy and also the fact that games (generally) sell so much more on consoles than the PC espically the ones that you have mentioned that are not particularly good anyway. They wouldn't have a chance on the PC.

"No classic adventure re-releases"

Again not enough profits. LucasArts think that these games will not sell well enough. Obviously this isn't the case, but if LucasArts were testing the water with re-releasing games in Europe (never really flied off the shelves and I was only aware of two copies of Sam and Max: Hit the Road in one shop in the area I live) then I guess they would be scared of releasing them in the US.

There we go, commerical reasons for each one.

Really? Some of the reasons you've mentioned...

"LucasArts cancelled Sam and Max Free Lance Police"

LucasArts were worried due to their other orginal offerings not selling well (Armed and Dangerous, ect.) that this game would suffer the same fate and so cancelled it.

I thought Lucasarts created Armed and Dangerous to sabotage Sam and Max Freelance Police, to come up with an excuse to cancel it for no reason.

"Rushed Obisidian..."

Isn't that kind of obvious? Holiday season? More games bought at Christmas than any other time of year...

Then couldn't they have waited until Christmas 2005 to release it?

"LucasArts mucked Galaxies, making Jedi available at the start..."

To encourage new customers that might have been annoyed that they could not access the Jedi class at the start to play the game and give their cash to LucasArts?

And alienate existing customers who were fond of the character classes that have been removed from the game, causing them to leave the game and never come back?

"No PC Ports"

The threat of PC piracy and also the fact that games (generally) sell so much more on consoles than the PC espically the ones that you have mentioned that are not particularly good anyway. They wouldn't have a chance on the PC.

Please. If they were scared of PC piracy, they would have released all of their PC games again on Steam or GameTap or GOG.com so that it would be less likely for them to be pirated.

But since they're not selling their old PC games, they're basically saying, "Come on and pirate our old games, since we refuse to sell them!"

"No classic adventure re-releases"

Again not enough profits. LucasArts think that these games will not sell well enough. Obviously this isn't the case, but if LucasArts were testing the water with re-releasing games in Europe (never really flied off the shelves and I was only aware of two copies of Sam and Max: Hit the Road in one shop in the area I live) then I guess they would be scared of releasing them in the US.

Maybe that store had two copies of every other game out there too, since there are like so many of them nowadays, ever thought of THAT?

If that's true, then why did they only cancel the original titles relating to the old adventure games? (Full Throttle 2, Sam & Max, ect.)

If that's true' date=' then why did they [i']only[/i] cancel the original titles relating to the old adventure games? (Full Throttle 2, Sam & Max, ect.)

:conspire:

...Seriously, though, I really think it's a conspiracy.

If that's true' date=' then why did they [i']only[/i] cancel the original titles relating to the old adventure games? (Full Throttle 2, Sam & Max, ect.)

Full Throttle 2 was canceled because it was having a seriously troubled production and elicited not a single positive reaction from the press or fans. It was also not a graphic adventure game. evilguy12's theory holds a lot of water because in addition to FT2 just amounting to a waste of a year's worth of development money, every single original game LEC was putting out was flopping hard. This included Gladius (good game, bad marketing), Wrath Unleashed (terrible game, terrible marketing), RTX: Red Rock (terrible game, terrible marketing), and Armed & Dangerous (great game, terrible marketing). By the time it was time for the Sam & Max 2 marketing machine to kick into high gear, LEC was in serious financial trouble and the powers that be probably had a hard time justifying spending the large amount of money that would have been required to figure out how to sell a point 'n click adventure game when (in their minds), all non-Star Wars and Indiana Jones games were assured failures. They essentially just decided to clean their slate, and as we all know a serious company restructuring followed.

The reason the original games sold poorly were largely LEC's own fault, whether it was because they were simply making bad products or because no one there knew how to sell a non-SW game after the years of Phantom Menace tie-ins, and the decision they made was a complete injustice to their loyal fans, but it does make sense if you put yourself in the head of a company executive who communicates only in dollar values and doesn't exactly have their finger on the pulse of communities like ours. All they knew was "Our original IP doesn't sell," and made a decision about the scary cartoon dog and bunny game in the pipeline based on that. And besides, losing all of their adventure fans doesn't seem to be affecting them financially. I don't think it's helped their image, but they don't seem to care about that anyway. You can't say from a business perspective that they made the wrong call. Besides, we as Sam & Max fans should be thankful. As a result of the cancellation we've gotten 11 new Sam & Max cases (or two full-sized games) with more on the way. The best case scenario for Freelance Police would have been moderate financial success - even if it was profitable I don't see LEC having given us a bunch of new adventure games the way Telltale is now. We lost a good game in Freelance Police, I'm sure of it, but its death is the reason we have a lot of great games (including Sam & Max games) we likely wouldn't have had otherwise. Screaming at LEC is like screaming at a tombstone, and anyway, we got what we wanted in the end.

Full Throttle 2 was canceled because it was having a seriously troubled production and elicited not a single positive reaction from the press or fans. It was also not a graphic adventure game. evilguy12's theory holds a lot of water because in addition to FT2 just amounting to a waste of a year's worth of development money, every single original game LEC was putting out was flopping hard. This included Gladius (good game, bad marketing), Wrath Unleashed (terrible game, terrible marketing), RTX: Red Rock (terrible game, terrible marketing), and Armed & Dangerous (great game, terrible marketing). By the time it was time for the Sam & Max 2 marketing machine to kick into high gear, LEC was in serious financial trouble and the powers that be probably had a hard time justifying spending the large amount of money that would have been required to figure out how to sell a point 'n click adventure game when (in their minds), all non-Star Wars and Indiana Jones games were assured failures. They essentially just decided to clean their slate, and as we all know a serious company restructuring followed.

The reason the original games sold poorly were largely LEC's own fault, whether it was because they were simply making bad products or because no one there knew how to sell a non-SW game after the years of Phantom Menace tie-ins, and the decision they made was a complete injustice to their loyal fans, but it does make sense if you put yourself in the head of a company executive who communicates only in dollar values and doesn't exactly have their finger on the pulse of communities like ours. All they knew was "Our original IP doesn't sell," and made a decision about the scary cartoon dog and bunny game in the pipeline based on that. And besides, losing all of their adventure fans doesn't seem to be affecting them financially. I don't think it's helped their image, but they don't seem to care about that anyway. You can't say from a business perspective that they made the wrong call. Besides, we as Sam & Max fans should be thankful. As a result of the cancellation we've gotten 11 new Sam & Max cases (or two full-sized games) with more on the way. The best case scenario for Freelance Police would have been moderate financial success - even if it was profitable I don't see LEC having given us a bunch of new adventure games the way Telltale is now. We lost a good game in Freelance Police, I'm sure of it, but its death is the reason we have a lot of great games (including Sam & Max games) we likely wouldn't have had otherwise. Screaming at LEC is like screaming at a tombstone, and anyway, we got what we wanted in the end.

With this reason and plenty more why not just enjoy the telltale sam and max games? they're really good and funny.

"Dread The Passage Of Christ, For He Does Not Return" -Joseph Campbell

Lucas Arts could not, should not, and shall not create another true work of creative genius ever again. We Must accept this and revel in the works of The High Lord Schafer and Tiller The Wise. Old IP can stay old. Monkey Island would be beating a dead horse. Day of the Tentacle was a standalone, ended and neatly tied up. Full Throttle is ambiguous, unless Tim personally worked on a sequel, and he won't, we can draw our own ending. Sam and Max live vibrant lives at telltale, disparage their work or not, they have resurrected Purcell's poetic universe. Grim Fandango told perhaps the greatest and purest story ever in a videogame, but the events leading up to it arose from pure chaos, and will never repeat themselves.

But then, we should not rebel. Starmen.Net for instance, revolted for many years against the Dark Masters at Nintendo, and their labor brought no fruit. We know now Earthbound and Mother 3 will never be released stateside: Exhibit A So forgive us for being a bit cynical over Lucasarts...

But, Bad Asp, if you have such time and energy and devotion upon your hands, why not take up the mantle of those before, and create something New? The Lord knows we need more creators in this husk of a world. Code something, write something, film something, but do not waste your idle time in vain pursuits. Instead, bring some fresh ideas from this ambition, allow your infatuation with the great adventures of old to spark some new quest, with new heroes and bolder sights! Or else, languish, and writhe, and pound your head against their iron battlement. But we will not join you.

Archived