Home

Rumor: Apple to Buy EA?(and Twitter)

HK-42

Hmm, now that would be a most interesting set of happenings, indeed.

Just imagine... Well, I guess maybe the next MMORPG they have could be a cross compatible Mac to PC title? I'd almost take bets on something like that. Something java/unix/A++ based perhaps, dunno for sure.

I was a Mac gamer in the 90s. It would be interesting to see the Mac platform become competitive again. A major player. Also a major hold in a micro blogging site.

I'd say this is a smart investment for long term. Buy it, let it sort of do what it has been doing, keep what works throw out what does not and then replace it. I'm not an expert in business models, though. I bet mimartin could bend our ears a bit on this though. (You've caught my attention before on this end, buddy ;))...

Well, I'm kind of shocked by this. I don't use twitter but know of those who do... (shrug)

Fellow LF'ers who use twitter...Is this a shock to you? I'm sure it get's your interest too.

What do you think--I don't know what to think.

EA bought up bioware which...well we all know what this means. So if EA is going to be bought out...that means companies are still getting bigger.

I wonder about the economic climate and how aspiring small businesses are going to come up between this potential juggernaut and its colossus competitors. (heh, I just mentioned 2 marvel characters)

I'm shocked but certainly interested to see what is going to happen...

Thoughts?

Yeah. Google vs. 4chan vs. Apple.

At any rate, considering the magnitetude of each company, I don't expect any radical change on their policy so, for us, players, the effects will have little significance, except, perhaps, for an entire new group of games released for Apple platforms. In which we can lump the Iphone.

I think this is just a rumor. Why would they buy EA? What does EA have to do with Apple's business plan? Another rumor is that Apple is looking to buy Twitter.

As a reality check, this article compares Apple's rumor-only acquisitions to it actual acquisitions over the past 10 years.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't buy Palm back in '06. Palm has a number of mobile device patents that Apple would probably like to have. Not that I'm complaining because if they did there'd be no Palm Pre to look forward to.

Well, then they could try to pigeon-hole consumers into buying their ridiculously overpriced hardware if they want to play certain games. Of course, anyone with half a brain would just Hackintosh like they do now.

**** Apple. :carms:

What exactly do the two share in common or something to want to buy? EA makes PC games and sports games, while the mac... doesn't play games.

The **** you talkin' about? Man, Apple rules.

Sure I use a PC now, but I think apples still are bomb.

Apple treat the consumers base terribly by overcharging through the roof on software, hardware, pre-builts, upgrades, etc as well as their attempted monopolizing of the mp3 player market (although it is still someone's fault for purchasing one of those abominations). As long as a $2,200 macbook has the same power as a $400 pc laptop, the mac will continue to fall behind. The pc I'm building now could hit about $4,000 if I really went overboard, while a equivalent or moderately better Mac Pro would cost me roughly $10,000 to $12,000.

They have no redeeming factors other than their cheap computers are streamlined to be beginner friendly.

So yeah, **** Apple.

The **** you talkin' about? Man, Apple rules.

Sure I use a PC now, but I think apples still are bomb.

Are you aware that Macs are very nearly identical to PCs and have been since 2006? Aside from some very minor hardware, the only real difference is the OS, and yet they have the absolute gall to charge what they do for a Mac. It's deceptive marketing at it's finest, and it's pure evil.

And don't even get me started on the iPod. Buy anything but one of those. Don't feed the beast; starve it.

I agree with Avery, even though I like my Ipod Touch... Im so not buying crap off itunes or getting one of those silly iphones. And whats with the goofy "i" naming convention?

If Apple buys EA, they had better not cancel the star wars mmo, or there will be a massive shtstorm!

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to the new Steve Jobs!

mr.moneybags.jpg

I agree with Avery, even though I like my Ipod Touch... Im so not buying crap off itunes or getting one of those silly iphones. And whats with the goofy "i" naming convention?

If Apple buys EA, they had better not cancel the star wars mmo, or there will be a massive shtstorm!

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to the new Steve Jobs!

mr.moneybags.jpg

i as in I, me you. ipod, its "yours".

That could have been the old Steve Jobs if he'd had any business sense a long time ago. My first 3 were Macs, but the expense vis-a-vis a pc, the dearth of available software and the inclusion of Window's software finally made me go over to the other side.

@Avery--actually the Mac does have games, but they are dwarfed in selection by the PC. The Mac version of a coupls of games I got did have a few more bells and whistles than their pc counterparts.

I think this is just a rumor. Why would they buy EA? What does EA have to do with Apple's business plan? Another rumor is that Apple is looking to buy Twitter.

As a reality check, this article compares Apple's rumor-only acquisitions to it actual acquisitions over the past 10 years.

the best apple rumor was the one where steve jobs died of cancer

Are you aware that Macs are very nearly identical to PCs and have been since 2006? Aside from some very minor hardware, the only real difference is the OS, and yet they have the absolute gall to charge what they do for a Mac. It's deceptive marketing at it's finest, and it's pure evil.

And don't even get me started on the iPod. Buy anything but one of those. Don't feed the beast; starve it.

You....YOU! Shut up Microsoft HACK!!! :scowl:

Yes I do, however, I grew up on its platform and it is more intuitive to me than PC. Besides, I know where to look and how to hustle deals on it. :carms:

Not exactly evil' date=' if you don't like it, buy a PC.[/quote']

:D

Stupid if you pay all that money and have no negotiation skills.

I love my iPod. It's survived being dropped or squashed any number of times, sounds good, holds all the music I want, looks good, comes in the exact shade of blue that I love, and I don't have to use MS programs to run it.

My ipod was a gift. It's hella win.

I might switch to Mac IF they were to release the OS not attached to the darn hardware.

As to the rumor: It really doesn't make sense. It would make far more sense for Microsoft to purchase EA. Apple doesn't have a reputation for gaming. Nor do they have a dedicated console gaming platform. Microsoft has a large following of PC gamers, and that console thingy... Ya know the 360... Apple has a wide array of nifty gadgets.

I could see twitter. twitter combined with iPhone iPod, and of course since they are known for publishing, it makes sense.

Archived