Home

i have two winxp comps, one online (home), and one offline(professional).

im wondering, is there a way to have my offline comp have windows update through a network? the reason is that the offline one is a service pack or two behind, and i dont want to have to blow my 5gb/month broadband cap downloading the service pack and updates for both of them.

also, can viruses jump from one comp to another the moment i stick a network cable in?

Plug in a network cable betwixt them, and you can use ICS (internet connection sharing) for the offline compy to get the updates.

Whilst Ive never encountered it personally , there are instances where malware may indeed 'travel'. It all really depends on what the nature of the bug, what files it attaches itself to. If you're *just* using ICS to update windows, then the likelihood of this is very low... compared to for example if you were transferring files downloaded on limewire between the 2 pcs ;)

Also, rather than update both pcs via winupdate, how about just download the service packs as standalones. That way, you only download them once each and can easily deploy to offline pc via usb stick etc

SP2 isnt too far away for Vista(is currently in RC stage IIRC)

mtfbwya

Autopatcher is a great way of keeping up with individual updates, especially the ones after the SPs are released :)

FYI, here is the link to MS XP SP3 download area, so you can download SP3 as a standalone if you prefer

mtfbwya

I think that depends on how you connect your 'online' computer with your 'offline' computer. When you are using a switch/hub/router setup, then the 'offline' machine does not need ICS on the other machine enabled to connect to the internet.

I think that depends on how you connect your 'online' computer with your 'offline' computer. When you are using a switch/hub/router setup, then the 'offline' machine does not need ICS on the other machine enabled to connect to the internet.

ah, silly me: i forgot to point out: the 'online' comp wasnt 'online' at the time; im pretty sure all connectivity cables except a network cable to the other comp were disconnected at the time. and neither had wireless.

[edit]

They don't have their own distrobution of the updates anymore, but the program does download them all from microsofts servers to the autopatcher folder and you can move it around and update another computer if you wish.

wait, so i cant get the actual autopatcher program anymore? because the only thing i see on the download page is the autopatcher updater, which updates the autopatcher program itself.

[/edit]

[edit2]

ive reinstalled xp on the online computer, and updated it using autopatcher. ive saved the updates and AP onto a cd, waiting for the other computer to be reinstalled.

thanks for the help!

Archived