Home

Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

Tysyacha

1. When did you first become/find out/decide you were an atheist/agnostic?

2. Were you afraid to let your family and friends know?

3. If you told them you were an atheist or agnostic, how did they react?

4. Other than the obvious one (you believe God does not exist and/or it is impossible to know whether God exists), what are your "beefs" with religion?

5. Have other people tried to proselytize you to convert to their faith? Which faith(s)? Did any of their arguments seem persuasive, or were they hokey?

6. As an atheist or agnostic, what book is your favorite on the subject?

7. Which agnostic/atheist authors do you respect? Which don't you respect?

8. Of the philosophies out there that aren't religious, which one's your fave?

9. Which do you think is just as hokey as traditional religious philosophies?

10. What is your highest value in life? What do you treasure most?

To not cause confusion, I'll file under the agnostic option.

1. When did you first become/find out/decide you were an agnostic?
I'm not sure, really. Probably my differences and grievances with the local Catholic diocese that I was raised in turned me off organized religion for good. That eventually led to my current belief in "It doesn't really matter if there is or isn't a God". It's not that I'm against theism or atheism as a whole, but more or less, I don't want to waste my time and money with trivial matters.
Nope.
The majority was fine with it. I don't really enjoy failing and swinging my beliefs around, mainly because they are rather trivial to me, and others. However, when I eventually had to state them, it wasn't a massive shock.
4. Other than the obvious one (you believe God does not exist and/or it is impossible to know whether God exists), what are your "beefs" with religion?
I'm against ultra-organization, to the point where the line between a business and a church is blurred. I'm also against the vehemently anti-abortion sentiments that most of the Catholics that I've meet harbored. Another thing was the "fundraiser" that the church held, by partnering up with a local fast-food franchiser, and selling and promoting "coupons" to eateries.

Yet, the last straw was the active crucifixion of one candidate during presidential elections five years ago, where the clergy as a whole stated something along the lines of "Vote for this candidate, or burn in Hell".

5. Have other people tried to proselytize you to convert to their faith? Which faith(s)? Did any of their arguments seem persuasive, or were they hokey?
My church tried to lure me back after leaving. I haven't gone to any others since then, however.
6. As an agnostic, what book is your favorite on the subject?
Can't list any off the top of my head.
7. Which agnostic authors do you respect? Which don't you respect?
Any high-ranking theist who has the common sense and courage to admit the existence of the possibility of agnosticism.

Absurdism. In short, it's essentially the big "maybe" between existentialism and nihilism.

Nothing that I can think of. Every leading philosophy has merit; not a single is inherently "logical" and "illogical".
Humanity. The brilliant sense of uniqueness and individualism that dwells within us all. I believe that there is no need for inherent good or evil, but simply whether or not one has lived their life to fullest, and created an overall interesting life for oneself.

A note: I am not atheist, but I am by no means religious. I believe some good lessons CAN be gained from religion, but by no means should it run your life.

Athiest about 10. Agnostic about 29.

No.

Didn't tell my dad til I was in the service. Subject just never came up before then. He was proud of me for my service and checked my dog tags. NORELPREF. He asked me if that was what they used for non-religious. I said yep. His response, "Back when I was in I never saw that. As they say, there's no atheists in a foxhole. Oh well... Want another beer?"

They try to claim knowledge of the unknowable. Many try to scare you into a lifestyle. And to be honest, while individuals of a religion may be good people, when en masse the religion tends to be a scary thing.

I assume you mean aside from the door to door religion sales? Jehovas Witness and the like. Any religion that has to have people selling it door to door makes me nervous.

None really.

I got nothing for you... It doesn't take a book telling you about it to become atheist or agnostic. Just logical thought.

A few regarding finding inner peace.

herbalism?

"Don't worry, Be happy."

I'm not sure, 13? 14? Probably when I first learnt the meaning of agnosticism. Can't say I was mighty religious or God-worshipping before that.

Nope.

Wouldn't blink an eyelid.

I don't I have any "beefs" with religion, and don't think I don't see through your puns.

No one as far as I can remember.

Haven't read any atheist/agnostic books.

I respect many authors, and I don't keep track of who is religious and who is not.

Buddhism, followed by Solipsism, followed by Objectivism. (/cue Ayn Rand line)

Can't think of any, I'm afraid.

My will, my ego.

Note: I am a former agnostic/atheist. I would consider myself a spiritual but not religious person. However, I am by no means against religion and freedom of (not from) it. I came back to believing simply as a matter of open mindedness: I noticed the more I defended it and the more fervor I put into it (atheism), the more like fundamentalists (but in an equal yet opposite manner) I was becoming.

~15 on up to about 22 years old.

At first. However it seemed so ever prevalent with people that I began openly opposing it because people would not relent.

They let me have my space. However they felt they had failed me somehow. It also put up a rift and it caused my family and I to not get along. For a time.

While seizing the day is something initially with the best of intent, this central theme actually has lead to a more nihilistic movement in its people.

I hate it (religion) when it is carried out as more of a business. The "god business" or how its people are "bible salesmen".

Or it is used as a justification to try to color deplorable acts as honorable.

Cliques and cultist attitudes.

When it is an egotistical establishment, which is the opposite of true spirituality, true discovery of what's within.

When it fosters more of material wants, or idolizations; selfishness or self centered mindsets. This is not what loving thyself is about.

Ones that insist Left handedness is the mark of the beast--I take *great* exception to that as would any other left handed person.

Its hypocrisy of people who don't even realize they have in fact shaped God to their own idealized image.

I'm going to answer in two parts:

a) yes; every main Christian faith has tried to work on me at least once.

Jews have in fact shown interest though didn't press it too hard upon learning I have Jewsih blooded roots. Admittedly, I do have some Jewish tendencies about my thought processes, though one could argue that these are stereotypical.

Then I'd say that there is this militant type/sect of veganism. NOT to be confused with the friendlier and more easygoing (sane?) Vegans and vegetarians. These people are not like other vegans or vegetarians: they are as condescending, patronizing, and rude as their religion-business counter parts if not moreso. You can basically "get ****ed" if you're not "one of them".

A "new aged open-mindedness" philosophical/fundamental trend manifesting itself in certain people and showing up in these individuals when confronting a number of certain political, social, economic issues. What I can really say about it is that it is open minded in name/theme only. This can be adopted by people who don't even believe in anything supernatural. A certain trend of mindset more than religion but it seems to have some clique-ish holier than thou mentality. Perhaps even adopting the above mentalities as well. "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Douchenozzle" syndrome too.

Also encountered various groups of Latino w/ Native American members, trying to either get me to join (I have some red man facial feats and long dark hair despite being mostly white) or to try to aggravate. They have a militant tension about them and tend to hate "the establishment" and ones not of their kind. I'd imagine I would only be of 'second class' to them due to the shade of my skin.

b) Arguments were of varying persuasion levels. while most of the organized religion groups are typically predictable in this aspect, the other groups seem to have tied their mission into something either compassionate or glorious, if not otherwise just basically demonizing and scapegoating. So whatever the argument (regardless of hokiness) it all ultimately was amiss to me. For the most part. What truth it held was little in the way for its saving graces.

None. I considered reading (I think) Atheism: the case against God. Not far through, this guy began to seem as bizarre as fundamentalists in equal but opposite fashion. Exactly what I didn't want to follow. Sort of fits into the open minded in name/theme only. I read some smaller books about it.

Not enough info to reply. Never cared.

I'd have to put it roughly between Miyamoto Musashi, and Sun Tzu...I have not read much more books like these, so far. These are non religious but are what I like to call generally spiritual. However, ultra rationalists and purely atheistic types would still not consider it worthy of pursuit. So if that doesn't count for that, I dunno what to tell you.

Refer to 5a.

Not sure I could give you a simple answer here. I'd rather not reveal too much. Then again, maybe I don't have an answer for you...

I wasn't raised with a religion. I didn't see the point of religion, and I didn't find anyone's arguments in favor of there being a God very convincing. Being the weak atheist I am, I don't exclude the concept of powerful beings that are god-like from existing. Just the omnipotent sort.

no.

My family wasn't religious either, they were fairly open to me just going where I felt comfortable. Some of my friends were religious, but none of them cared.

It's limiting, have to believe in this, and that, and those things too even if I don't agree with them. Spirituality is great. Having something to believe in is great. But how that works should be up to you. Not some ancient book.

Aside from the annoying Mormon, and some old ladies, no. And as my opinion of them suggests, they were not persuasive.

Books on atheism are lame, they're written by atheist equivalents of Ann Coulter. They make a lot of noise and cause a lot of trouble and overall aren't helpful.

I don't read them, so I can't really say. I don't like Dawkins for example.

I'm not sure what kind of philosophies you mean? Like Hobbes or Nietzsche? Can't say really.

*shrug* I dunno. I don't like Locke, but then he uses traditional religious theory to make his case, and it's not real good IMO.

Sex, drugs, money, rock and roll, wanton slaughter. /sarcasm

I dunno, being happy. Not in the ignorant sort of happy, but living a good life happy.

I am aware of being, at some point in my life, in possession of a belief of some sort of god; one who loved caterpillars and caused me to get upset when my parents used slug pellets to protect the flowerbeds. A god which did not so much give a set of moral codes as it did serve as a sort of Father Christmas character who, if I was good and did what Mrs. Moyra said I should in school assemblies, would ensure I got a new bicycle at my next birthday.

I could not, however, say when that view of the world came to an end. And, indeed, it must have done so a long time ago because my memories of belief are so distant as to seem like dreams. More recent are my memories of observing ceremony without the soul to back it; leaving the mince-pie and glass of milk for Father Christmas, in full awareness of the fact that he will not be coming to eat them.

My atheism is not so much derived from a belief in nothingness as an inability to believe. When things go bump in the night it's usually a fridge magnet falling off, or a gust of wind blowing the letter box, it probably isn't der Sandmann creeping up the stairs to rip my eyes out. The grip of the mysterious lasts for the length of a good Doctor Who episode, but no longer. It has very little power over me other than to make me shed light on what is dark.

Far more breath-taking than unknown simplicity is known complexity. Hearing a dawn chorus and being able to identify that it is not "birds" but blackbirds, robins, wrens, thrushes and being able to hear their individual calls is an exploded world-view that is sought, naturally, by myself in all things. The explanation for existence being one, all-powerful god, seems almost antithetical to that quest for an all-embracing and diversity-seeing perception of the world.

I have the utmost respect for most writers whom I have read. Salman Rushdie gets more praise than Christopher Hitchins, shall we say. Most of our current generation of Literary London, forged in "the fires of the summer of '68" (as Hitchins likes to mention every five seconds), have disappointingly vanished into thin-air (Rushdie perhaps understandably) leaving us with a distinct paucity of "great" authors.

1: When I was born I guess, didn't realize I was an atheist until someone told me. Been an atheist since then after a stint with self-made religions.

2: no

3: Turned out that my close family was atheists too, so no reaction.

4: as long as they don't: A: discourage people from thinking for themselves or B: atempt to turn their beliefs into laws aplying to people not of their faith, no beefs.

5: Yes, most sucessfull being myself when I created my own religion.

6: Haven't read many on the subject (sorry J7).

7: Respect? haven't read enough to know. Disrespect? Dawkins, I tried to read him, didn't get too far.

8: Nihilism

10:self interest

objectivism

objectivism :shades2:

Solipsism, followed by Objectivism

Rand hates your guts, looter, and so do I.

Get out.

I posted once already and found my post to be in rather poor taste, so lets try again:

I prefer to be a third party between the theists and non-theists, as both could be called religious depending on those involved. Those that firmly deny that basically fit into those with enough fervor to be religious themselves. I prefer to see the theistic and strong non-theistic viewpoints as subjective coping mechanisms than any attempts to actually explain the universe/world.

Like I explain in a Senate thread, I never believed in god. I was aware of a concept of god, as I had been to church maybe twice or so and heard the word but basically put that in the same category as Santa Claus. I believed in Santa more than any god, and I stopped believing in Santa when I was like, 5 or 6.

As Mur'phon stated, it was basically something from birth. I honestly thought the bible and such were just fairy tales like "the little engine that could", but later realized that people actually believed it. Kind of an eye opener.

My parents are privately a little christian/agnostic. They could care less, as my parents told me and my sister that it was up to us to decide what we believed in and not their job to indoctrinate their children.

See above.

My beefs are long and listed, but it mainly comes down to a psychological and sociological standpoint I have that god and religion are simply coping mechanism to deal with the world in a subjective way, and that concept was taken too far and organized into an institution that contradicts its own original concept.

If anyone would like to know you can PM me, or you can ask me directly in this thread or another because my extended answer will probably offend quite a few people here.

Coping mechanism. If someone finds a way to cope that makes them feel great, ontop of the world, and somehow tricking themselves into thinking they have all the answers the obvious thing they try to do is spread that message for whatever person reasons they have.

For that reason, I've found almost no arguments of faith convincing.

However, there is 1 book that helped me greater understand the subject and I, personally, think its the best piece of religious literature ever made:

Me of Little Faith by Lewis Black

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_of_Little_Faith

It is a fantastic bridge between theists and non-theists. If you have any self respect as either, get this book or, better yet, the fantastic audio cd.

And yes, people have attempted to convert me and so on many times. But, honestly, who haven't?

See above.

Agnostic and atheist's who try to preach their message fit into my category of the religious as well. Their beliefs are a coping mechanism if they believe in them with enough fervor, so I take their arguments with as much salt as a theist.

But, can't really name names as I do not read too many books on those subjects or particularly cared about an author's religion.

It could be argued that if a philosophy has followers, then it is a religion.

But, off the top of my head I like Existentialism and Nihilism. Nihilism is hard to define as its philosophers have had different ideas on what it means to be a Nihilist.

I need to get around to reading Hobbe's stuff

Don't know. I can think of pros and cons for a lot of them.

But, I'd say the Philosophy I hate the most is Solipsism.

Going to be honest here and say myself. But, if we're going to be specific, my imagination.

I guess I've always been. Or at least, from the moment I could think for myself.

Never, although most people I know being atheists/agnostics does help.

The previous answer should answer this one as well. Perhaps, in my case, a better question to ask would be, how would friends or family react if I told them I did believe in a god. The answer to that would be that most wouldn't care, some would be intrigued as to why, and some would be disappointed.

They are plentiful, and I do not wish to list them all. Some of them would be religion's influence on us, even if we don't want it; intolerance to other beliefs; blind faith;...

Aside from the occasional Jehova's Witnesses at our door, no. And their arguments were absolutely not persuasive.

I haven't read much on the subject, but Bertrand Russell's "Why I Am Not A Christian" essay was very good.

Having not read a lot on the subject, I can't really name any names.

Nihilism (Nietzsche), Materialism, Epicureanism and Machiavellianism.

Of the ones I know, none, really. They all have some principles that challenge the mind. They all question the accepted views and beliefs in some way.

Not an answer I could write in a couple of minutes, if ever. I think, what I've always been the most proud of, is my mind. My ability to think independently, to think critically and of the way I think. From the things I have, I think that's my most precious'.

A year or two ago

No, my family is pretty unreligious so they didn't really care, a few fundies at school told me I was going to hell but they typically do that on a regular basis so it was nothing new

Apathetically

Organized religion leads to conflict and whatever you would call nationalism for religions. I can't think of a single religion that hasnt had at least one war waged in its name by some overzelous leader.

Christian fundies, I think they were catholic or something tell me about how I sin and how I need to confess and such. They generally use the whole salvation argument(aka your going to hell) which I generally ignore. I figure if Gods out there he's probably had enough with most organized religions, it just seems like that would be the opinion of a God who apparently doesnt like killing and being evil. Which is pretty much a really short summery of most religion related history.

Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti monster... I dont know, I dont read much about it, I would rather form my own views, I dont want to just follow someone elses, that would be the same as being in an organized religion.

See Above

existentialism, empericism, skepticism

Inner peace I guess

1. Maybe when I was 13, though I had always had my doubts about religion.

2. A little.

3. They were fine with it.

4. My view on truth is that it must be observable, and the idea that a millennia old book which has never been accurate is the only source of truth conflicts with that.

5. Criticised, maybe. But not really.

6. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

7. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Richard Dawkins, Douglas Adams, and Bertrand Russell, and I respect all of them.

8. Analytical Philosophy

9. Anything that involves blind obedience/faith.

10. Freedom, Individuality, and Intelligence.

I suppose when I began to notice that every Sunday, my only thoughts in church were about whether or not there'd be grape juice and little bread cubes that day.

Not really.

My cousin was on me about it for a bit when he had a run-in with religion a short time ago, but that ended when he realized what time church services were on Sunday mornings.

The unwillingness to admit ignorance and the excesses many religions go to to expand upon their power.

Rand hates your guts, looter, and so do I.

Get out.

My absolutely infallible integrity brushes off your words.

Also, I don't think of you.

But, I'd say the Philosophy I hate the most is Solipsism.

Yes, because you are but a figment of my imagination!

/muhahahahaha

I learned about religion and its "meaning" when I was like, hm, 13, 14? Actually, I asked myself what the holy grail is after I saw Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I learned more especially about Christianity when I did a presentation about the seven crusades for history class. Eventually, that was about everything I ever learned about religion. So, in other words around that time must have been be the moment when I found out I am actually not one of the theistic kind of people.

Does not apply to me.

Every one claims they got it right.

I only met like 5 religious people of that kind IRL. Three of them saw me closing the door after they asked if I read the bible, two of them were accusing me and my friend of blasphemy after he asked me "what's with Julian" and they understood "hallelujah".

Not a topic of my interest.

Depends on their books?

Determinism.

So, traditional religious philosophies are hokey?

Life.

Kinda always have been. Never went to church as a kid, never felt the need to. I suppose you can file me as an apathetic atheist

No. My extended family is religious, quite so in fact, but the issue never came up. Why would they or I care about my religious faith?

I never told anyone. I honestly don't care if extended family knows. My parents and brother aren't super religious, and don't care. There are far more important things to worry about.

This is why I call myself an apathetic atheist. I. Don't. Care. If there's a God. I have no particular beef with religion. I have never felt the need for (or presence of) a supreme being, and thus don't subscribe to any religion. I despise the atheists and agnostics that go around attacking religious people and trying to explain everything with "logic" and "science." The facts may support you, but what is logical about requiring someone else to kowtow to your beliefs when they have their own belief system that works? I don't get it.

Yes. Friends have. I just smile and nod and eventually ignore them or make some crass comment if they won't stop. Religion (or lack of) is personal; I don't want to hear how you found Jesus, and I bet you don't want to hear how happy I am not caring about religion. Different strokes for different folks.

I have no desire to pick up a book by the Dawkins-esque authors of the world, only to have them preach atheism and the illogical-ness of religion to me as if they were Catholic or Evangelical preachers. I find it all distasteful.

My answer's simple-- I don't read atheist books, I read for fun.

I don't respect Dawkins, as he is the Atheist's version of Evangelical Preacher Ted Haggart. The fact you're writing books calling everyone else in the world an idiot bugs me. They may be, and statistically, 50% of the population is below average in intelligence, but that doesn't mean you have to write with such vitriol, or inspire such a vibrant hatred of religion. All authors that follow his lead, atheist or not, I detest.

No clue. I don't look for philosophies to live my life by; I just live. I am quite happy doing what I want to do, how I want to, according to my own ethical code. I honestly have no idea; any one of the ones that says be nice to others and leave me the hell alone is the one I'd pick.

Politics. Blind adherence to anything. The modern atheist cults.

Oddly worded. I like living, and I like being able to do whatever I want to achieve my own personal happiness. I would like the same for my friends.

Aside from your questions, I'll go on record saying that the people who make a big deal of the fact they don't believe in god, and try to fight and call people out on their beliefs any time faith is mentioned, are as utterly disgusting to me as the evangelicals who want everyone to know how much they love jesus and how I should too. Neither group is likely to have the answers, and I strongly reject both. Religion, faith, personal philosophies, all that are very personal things, and should be left alone.

I once went to a debate between a somewhat famous atheist writer, a professor of theology, and a guy from Focus on the Family (evangelical). The whole debate, the atheist and professor just yelled at each other, holding up books arguing their narrow world view, and basically made themselves look like complete and utter fools. The atheist wouldn't let the professor get any words in, and attacked and insulted the guy. What was supposed to be a calm, professional, informative debate quickly turned into a shouting match. The atheist guy looked like a complete dick, and the professor was no better.

The only one of the three who had a level head and encouraged the audience to think for themselves, and come to their own conclusions (all without being a douche to the other guys), was the FotF guy. I came away impressed by that, and very apprehensive of and disgusted by the militant aggressive atheism.

Over a year ago. (I was about 14.5 years old)

Told most of my friends, and one of my uncles, but haven't told my parents.

A couple of them were of the impression of "Oh my God, why?!", but the rest reacted in the manner of "It's your life."

I wish not to offend anyone, so I don't debate with anyone about it; but you could say I fit the generalization of a 'Militant' secularist.

Not really. I try to avoid religion debates now. The arguments I hear now seem ridiculous to me, but I don't blame people for making fallacy-filled arguments, because even as a secularist, I oftentimes make fallacy-filled arguments as well.

Anything by Carl Sagan.

Carl Sagan, Sam Harris, Neitzche, Dawkins... I don't like Christopher Hitchens.

Humanism, but not in a anthrocentric manner. (Not intended as an oxymoron)

I dunno. Maybe spiritualism.

Hard question... I value the universe, I suppose. What I treasure most... I dunno, maybe my computer, because it provides me tons of knowledge at the click of a button. overall, I honestly have to say that I value my mind highest. The ability to think and have an imagination, as well a burning desire of curiousity to understand the universe; is what it most important to me.

I'm an agnostic atheist. There's no evidence, or any hint for that matter, which suggests the existence of a god.

1. At the age of 17 I think.

2. No. My parents aren't religious even though they do believe in god.

3. They didn't make a fuzz about it.. I actually had lots of interesting discussions with my dad where he played devil's advocate. :)

4. Religion should be a personal, private thing. It shouldn't influence politics or moral issues.

5. No.

6. I haven't read a single book entirely devoted to this issue. I find it very interesting though (the epistemological side of it) so I will probably read one at some point.

7. Contemporary authors? Dawkins, Harris, Dennet.. Hitchens not so much. I really like Hume and Russell. ;>

8. I don't have a favourite philosophy.. even though I'm a philosophy student. I don't live by any philosophy. I'm interested in epistemology, philosophy of science, logic & set theory, morality.

9. I'm not sure what that is supposed to be about.. I'll go with just about anything Descartes has to say about God in his Meditations on First Philosophy..

10. I don't know.

My absolutely infallible integrity brushes off your words.

For some two hundred years, under the influence of Sabretooth, the dominant trend of philosophy has been directed to a single goal: the destruction of man's mind, of his confidence in the power of reason...

Today's mawkish concern with and compassion for the feeble, the flawed, the suffering, the guilty, is a cover for the profoundly Sabretoothian hatred of the innocent, the strong, the able, the successful, the virtuous, the confident, the happy. A philosophy out to destroy man's mind is necessarily a philosophy of hatred for man, for man's life, and for every human value.

Hatred of the good for being the good, is the hallmark of Sabretooth.

For some two hundred years, under the influence of Sabretooth, the dominant trend of philosophy has been directed to a single goal: the destruction of man's mind, of his confidence in the power of reason...

Today's mawkish concern with and compassion for the feeble, the flawed, the suffering, the guilty, is a cover for the profoundly Sabretoothian hatred of the innocent, the strong, the able, the successful, the virtuous, the confident, the happy. A philosophy out to destroy man's mind is necessarily a philosophy of hatred for man, for man's life, and for every human value.

Hatred of the good for being the good, is the hallmark of Sabretooth.

I thought that was Ayn Rand's job. :xp:

I don't respect Dawkins, as he is the Atheist's version of Evangelical Preacher Ted Haggart. The fact you're writing books calling everyone else in the world an idiot bugs me. They may be, and statistically, 50% of the population is below average in intelligence, but that doesn't mean you have to write with such vitriol, or inspire such a vibrant hatred of religion. All authors that follow his lead, atheist or not, I detest

Terry Eagleton (the only Literary Critic left who's not afraid to deal with the big picture; I'd like to put that down to him being a Marxist but people would probably debate me on that one) pretty much lampoons Dawkins in his review of the God Delusion for the London Review of Books:

Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology. Card-carrying rationalists like Dawkins, who is the nearest thing to a professional atheist we have had since Bertrand Russell, are in one sense the least well-equipped to understand what they castigate, since they don’t believe there is anything there to be understood, or at least anything worth understanding. This is why they invariably come up with vulgar caricatures of religious faith that would make a first-year theology student wince. The more they detest religion, the more ill-informed their criticisms of it tend to be. If they were asked to pass judgment on phenomenology or the geopolitics of South Asia, they would no doubt bone up on the question as assiduously as they could. When it comes to theology, however, any shoddy old travesty will pass muster. These days, theology is the queen of the sciences in a rather less august sense of the word than in its medieval heyday.

Dawkins on God is rather like those right-wing Cambridge dons who filed eagerly into the Senate House some years ago to non-placet Jacques Derrida for an honorary degree. Very few of them, one suspects, had read more than a few pages of his work, and even that judgment might be excessively charitable. Yet they would doubtless have been horrified to receive an essay on Hume from a student who had not read his Treatise of Human Nature. There are always topics on which otherwise scrupulous minds will cave in with scarcely a struggle to the grossest prejudice. For a lot of academic psychologists, it is Jacques Lacan; for Oxbridge philosophers it is Heidegger; for former citizens of the Soviet bloc it is the writings of Marx; for militant rationalists it is religion.

Linky. Worth the read.

Told most of my friends, and one of my uncles, but haven't told my parents.

*shudders*

My advice to you would be to wait until you're 18 and they can't legally do anything about it. You've told more than enough people already and they're bound to find out before then, though, so for your sake I hope that they're not fanatics. If they are, get a lawyer. I'm not kidding.

*shudders*

My advice to you would be to wait until you're 18 and they can't legally do anything about it. You've told more than enough people already and they're bound to find out before then, though, so for your sake I hope that they're not fanatics. If they are, get a lawyer. I'm not kidding.

Don't worry about it. It's not a very big deal. And by friends I mean five people.

Archived