Home

3D Realms Shuts Down. Duke Nukem Forever All But Cancelled. The... I.. OH GOD *sobs*

Boba Rhett

no.... n..nn-NO!!

duke-nukem.jpg

LINK

Like many others here, I grew up with the promise of a new Nukem being "done when it's done." Now that it's gone I... I just don't know what to do with myself. If anyone needs me I'll be sitting in my closet drinking peach schnapps, naked and unabashedly micturating on myself, for the next four or five days.

Well, this wasn't unexpected, and I hope that it turns out to be rather apocryphal, if anyone gets my meaning.

I hope that no one takes this the wrong way, but I'm rather pleased that this finally happened because it means that at least one shameless blue-balling project has gone down in flames like it deserved. I hope that it dragged all of it's perpetrators into the abyss with it, never to be seen in the industry again.

Now if only all of the other vaporware and semi-vaporware projects would follow suit, I'd be a content and slightly less cynical human being.

I'm not completely convinced yet. It might be an effort to get some development money out of 2k, or maybe a hype machine for the release. It seems odd to me that there were no rumblings of this from anyone before today and just a couple weeks ago george and tom showed it to Jace Hall for his podcast show. There's footage of it, and he apparently called it more polished than many games that are already released.

(starts about 2:40)

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

So it could be true, 3D Realms gone forever, I'm still a bit wary of it.

Oh wow. That video is actually very impressive. It seems like they actually had a very good game coming along. In fact, I'd say there was more in that little clip of actual footage than I've seen over the past 12 years . . .

I never expected this game to ever actually come out, so this is no big surprise. If they did ever get around to releasing it, it would have been sooooo hugely overhyped, that it would have been crap anyway, due to not being able to meet people's high expectations, so maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

Thank God I ignore the hype. Learned long ago that it's often better to have low expectations of media (movies, games, etc...) b/c you're less disappointed if/when it's crap. Still, would've been nice to get another game out of Duke.

*Flameshield on*

I was looking at that page the slash000 thing was on and saw all the games (and other things) that came out between the time when development started and when it ceased...

# All three Star Wars prequels.

# All the Matrix movies

# The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, with extended editions.

# Every Pixar movie aside from Toy Story.

# The entire Halo trilogy.

# Every Gran Turismo game.

# Every Unreal, every Unreal Tournament, and every game that has used any of the Unreal engines.

# Over 50 games based in the Star Wars universe.

# Valve released both Half-Life 1 and 2, with several expansion packs and countless mods for each.

# Every version of Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike Source were developed.

# The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and IV:Oblivion, and the entire Baldur's Gate series.

# About 20 Zelda games, 14 Grand Theft Auto games, and like 40 Final Fantasy games

# The Thief Series, Splinter Cell series, Rainbow Six series, Ghost Recon series, Fallout 1-3, Ico, SotC, Guitar Hero/RB series

# World War II and the entire Manhattan Project. Yes, even the complete development of the atomic bomb took less time.

**** 'em. They "spend" 12 years on a game and people still want it?... and it ends up not coming out? NO game is worth twelve years of waiting.

Screw 3D Realms for pulling their fans along for such a ****ing long time. IMO I always thought Duke Nukem was the dumbest video game character ever conceived. They weren't even that great anyway. Did games like HL2, RE4, Zelda: OoT, GTA4, Halo, and MGS4 take anywhere near the same amount of time?

Sounds more like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

All part of the reason I've never pined for a vid game. By the time I get around to playing a "current" game it's usually 2-3 yrs old already. While it would be nice to see something actually get finished, there're so many other games out there that it doesn't really matter in the end. Same goes for KOTOR. If there's no sequel in the end...ces't le vie.

*Flameshield on*

I was looking at that page the slash000 thing was on and saw all the games (and other things) that came out between the time when development started and when it ceased...

# All three Star Wars prequels.

# All the Matrix movies

# The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, with extended editions.

# Every Pixar movie aside from Toy Story.

# The entire Halo trilogy.

# Every Gran Turismo game.

# Every Unreal, every Unreal Tournament, and every game that has used any of the Unreal engines.

# Over 50 games based in the Star Wars universe.

# Valve released both Half-Life 1 and 2, with several expansion packs and countless mods for each.

# Every version of Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike Source were developed.

# The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and IV:Oblivion, and the entire Baldur's Gate series.

# About 20 Zelda games, 14 Grand Theft Auto games, and like 40 Final Fantasy games

# The Thief Series, Splinter Cell series, Rainbow Six series, Ghost Recon series, Fallout 1-3, Ico, SotC, Guitar Hero/RB series

# World War II and the entire Manhattan Project. Yes, even the complete development of the atomic bomb took less time.

**** 'em. They "spend" 12 years on a game and people still want it?... and it ends up not coming out? NO game is worth twelve years of waiting.

Screw 3D Realms for pulling their fans along for such a ****ing long time. IMO I always thought Duke Nukem was the dumbest video game character ever conceived. They weren't even that great anyway. Did games like HL2, RE4, Zelda: OoT, GTA4, Halo, and MGS4 take anywhere near the same amount of time?

Sounds more like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

http://blag.xkcd.com/2009/05/07/duke-nukem-forever/

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/10/duke-nukem-forever-gameplay-surfaces-requests-we-come-get-some/

Lynk found this and it has some gameplay video in addition to screens. Now I really feel bad as a lot of the stuff in the video looks kickass and exactly what I would be expecting george and 3dr to bring to the table with dnf. What a ****ty week.

Note: Video is NSFW due to some language and stripperness. oh and of course bloody asskickingness

Archived