Home

3D Realms Shuts Down. Duke Nukem Forever All But Cancelled. The... I.. OH GOD *sobs*

no.... n..nn-NO!!

duke-nukem.jpg

LINK

Like many others here, I grew up with the promise of a new Nukem being "done when it's done." Now that it's gone I... I just don't know what to do with myself. If anyone needs me I'll be sitting in my closet drinking peach schnapps, naked and unabashedly micturating on myself, for the next four or five days.

Take-Two owns the Duke rights now I believe.

Also, with 3D Realms out of the war it might actually be made one day. They obviously did a terrible job, and while Forever has been cut funding and a crew that doesn't exactly mean it ends there.

I gave up on it years ago. It had basically become an experiment in internet trolling (kind of like... nah, never mind), so I really don't feel any sense of loss at it's passing.

I'm gonna be skeptical and say this might just be a poking with a stick to get some action out of them...as opposed to just reacting to the news...but I'll be livid if this turns out to be the case...

What are you even on about?

How can you be "skeptical" about a company going out of business? It's a direct quote from their forums (posted by their forums webmaster, no less :rolleyes:)

_EW_

^^^

Goes and checks.....:toilet1:

Dammit. >_< That sucks.

EDIT: What was I on about? I actually thought it was another hype campaign--or one of those intentional jab in the butt with a cane attempts to get the company to working on it and quit slouching off. A little mass public deception to stir it up and get the ball rolling again. Happened before.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

.......looks at above article.............

"Despite rumors and statements to the contrary, 3D Realms (3DR) has not closed and is not closing," reads the statement. "3DR retains ownership of the Duke Nukem franchise. Due to lack of funding, however, we are saddened to confirm that we let the Duke Nukem Forever (DNF) development team go on May 6, while we regroup as a company. While 3DR is a much smaller studio now, we will continue to operate as a company and continue to license and co-create games based upon the Duke Nukem franchise."

So no Duke Nukem forever, but the studio is going to still be in business. Just much smaller now. What a way to revive it.

Delving deeper:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a5LJCCRIwYg0

Take-Two Sues Apogee Over ‘Duke Nukem’ Game Sequel

Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., the maker of the “Grand Theft Auto” video games, sued Apogee Software Ltd.’s 3D Realms over the failed development of a sequel to the “Duke Nukem” game called “Duke Nukem Forever.”

Take-Two, owner of the publishing rights to the game, said Apogee breached an agreement to design the latest installment of Duke Nukem, a game in which the player “shoots” enemies. The new version has been under development since 1997, the company said yesterday in a complaint in a state court in Manhattan.

3D Realms, which was based in Garland, Texas, never produced the game and instead closed its studio on May 6, terminated development of the game and fired employees who had been involved in the Duke Nukem project, Take-Two said.

“Apogee continually delayed the completion date for the Duke Nukem Forever,” Take-Two said in the complaint. “Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever.”

Take-Two said in 2000 it had an agreement with Apogee and paid $12 million for publishing rights to the forthcoming game. In 2007, the two companies entered into a second agreement.

The case is Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. v. Apogee Software Ltd. 601457/2009, New York State Supreme Court, New York County (Manhattan).

Interesting little thing about midway, the Mortal Kombat producer, right below that in article also.

Archived