Home

Because "Seasons of Love" was already taken.

MrWally

So I've been working on a project for my computer graphics class. The assignment was to simply tell a story visually. My style of silhouettes and skies was kind of boring me, but it's what I'm good at, so I didn't want to give it up. However, I did revitalize it a little bit to create a more abstract feel.

This story chronicles the relationship of a young couple and how their love parallels the seasons.

As always, criticism is welcome.

Spring_by_TheSeeker417.jpg

Spring

Summer_by_TheSeeker417.jpg

Summer

Fall_by_TheSeeker417.jpg

Fall

Winter_by_TheSeeker417.jpg

Winter

I actually put quite a bit more work into these four than most of my projects. It was very difficult to create the common style between the four images and to match the tree in every season. Also, I spent quite a while finding exactly what colors I wanted to use to convey the correct mood (especially for the "Fall" image - my favorite).

The full verions of each image, which I have not yet uploaded, print to 11x14 inches at 300 dpi. I'm having them all printed and framed for my room. I'm excited :D

Maybe give the ground just a smidgeon more detail overall...a few scenery props, maybe?

Otherwise, I'd say that reeks of awesomeness. Gets 10/10 car jackin's from me.

(BTW where is pic 4?):confused:

EDIT:Came back a few minutes later, still wasn't going. RE-loaded. Displaying correctly now. THX ;)

HMMM, I like the footsteps in the winter.

Thanks, but I don't know . . . If you look at all my other pictures of this style they are extremely over-detailed. I wanted to kind of back off this time around and just focus on the colors and emotions.

?

The 4th picture shows up fine for me.

Very well done man. My heart actually clenched a bit going through them and hitting the winter one with him standing over the grave stone. Powerful in it's simplicity. I liked the lack of detail personally. Made them more open to imagination. Worked for me. Keep it up...all the others I've seen from you are amazing as well.

A couple of thoughts:

You opted to use depth of field for the grass in the spring picture, but not for the fallen leaves in the autumn picture. Intentional?

I have to tell you that the baseball cap pulls me out of the winter pic. Perhaps a more traditional hat or no hat at all? My 2 cents.

Is there a reason that series ends with death? I don't want to question where you were going with this, however if the purpose is to show stages that a relationship goes through, perhaps the couple could be dancing or having a romantic picnic in summer, separated in autumn, and then holding hands (ala original summer) in winter? Just a thought.

P.S. I would extend kudos for your obvious talent, but I'd hate to seem as though I was jumping on the bandwagon :p

I have to tell you that the baseball cap pulls me out of the winter pic. Perhaps a more traditional hat or no hat at all? My 2 cents.

Ehh, it makes the winter man look a bit young. If the series ends in death, I expected him to be a little older.

_EW_

To address some of the items mentioned:

Yes, the "Fall" picture is supposed to be flat. It's kind of symbolic. Originally I didn't even have leaves, but then it looked almost too flat.

Hmm . . . you may make a good point about the baseball cap. I originally had one of those winter caps that has a little ball poof thing at the top, but that just looked too comical. My father wears baseball caps in the winter, but I suppose he's a little strange. I can definitely nix that, it isn't really intentional and it does make him look sort of young.

As for the story, the purpose is not to show the stages that relationships go through, but depict this specific relationship and how it parallels the seasons. Spring is often a simple of birth and new things, Summer is a symbol of love, and Autumn and Winter are archetypes for change and death, so I thought it was fitting.

That, and I felt in the mood for doing something a little sad . . .

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's always greatly appreciated =]

Archived