Home

How did you get into anime?

Serpentine Cougar

So how did you first find out about anime and get sucked into the world of Japanese animation?

My interest in anime started when the Pokemon craze took hold of my gradeschool. I watched the TV show and got a gameboy just to play Pokemon Blue. Around the same time I discovered the Internet, and as my interest in Pokemon waned I found deviantART. I saw an awesome fanart of Ed from FullMetal Alchemist and had to find out where it was from. I watched FMA and wanted more of the same, so I looked into other series.

How about you?

I didn't really differentiate between Japanese and Western animation when I was a kid. I've watched Cardcaptor Sakura, Heidi and Pokémon that way. Heidi was the first, and that would be like when I was what, 7?

Over in 2006, I found myself languidly flipping TV channels and came across Animax and there was this commercial for Hell Girl, and I thought it was pretty damn spooky, sitting in the dark there. I caught an episode the next day (which just happened to be the first), and was impressed by the mature level, and also because the first episode was spooky (which weared off in subsequent episodes, except the goddamned Episode 13).

I also followed Trinity Blood then, and when I began to miss the episodes, I found them on the Internets and eventually migrated to Internat viewing.

I guess in my case it would sort of be like Scar, where it started way back with the Saturday mornings and older shows like DBZ. Being from Hawaii though, there is a large Japanese cultural influence, still though I didn't really watch a lot of anime until recently. I started watching Naruto one summer when Cartoon Network had a marathon, from there, I just started watching different shows that various people recommended to me.

I am kind of like most of the others, I watched a bit of anime like Pokemon before I knew it was called anime. Then after I grew out of that I didn't watch it for a few years, and then I learned more about it and just took show recommendations from people around here and have watched quite a bit since then.

I heard about anime back when I was still a kid. I tried watching Dragonball, but it was just too damn boring. After that, I stumbled upon Yu Gi Oh! on one of the local TV stations and sort of got into that for a while.

After a huge break, a friend brought Highlander: The Search for Vengeance, then Appleseed and Appleseed Ex Machina, all of which I found extremely entertaining. Some time after that I stumbled upon Naruto on another local TV station (about a year ago). It was dubbed in Serbian (most likely from the English dubbed version, judging from the censoring). I heard it was supposedly good and I decided to give it a shot. As it turned out I wasn't mistaken and am now watching the latest episodes (Shippuuden) in its original Japanese version. A friend recommended Bleach on multiple occasions, so I decided to check that one out too and have managed to quickly go through all the episodes aired so far.

The first shows I ever watched were Danguard Ace, Gaiking and Getter Robo G, all anime from the 70's I watched when I was about 5 years old. From there it went onto Transformers and Voltron and a bunch of other shows.

Giant robot shows are awesome. :kamina:

I remember that my brothers and sisters were already into it, so I'd watch alot of Anime films with them, which were mostly Studio Ghibli films. But my very first movie to watch that was in anime was My Neighbor Totoro, I watched that one at a really young age, 4 maybe? Hmmm, but anyways, that got me into it, and I began watching more and more Studio Ghibli, and eventually began to spread out into the Anime TV shows and such. That's about it:D

A friend tried to get me to watch Naruto for like a year, i finally gave in and started watching it. After have seen some episodes i was like "Wtf is this ****, this sucks", but i keept on watching anyway. Then it got to the Zabuza fight, and i started enjoying it. Watched through Naruto and then i started pick up other shows, now i probaly the one that is the most anime geek of me and all my friends. This was around two years ago, and according to my profile at anime-planet i have wasted over a month of my life on anime since then, but that don't register the shows i have rewatched.

For me it was watching dubbed/reedited 70's shows like Battle of the Planets (Kagaku ninja tai Gatchaman), Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato), and Astroboy with my Dad. In the 80's there Robotech, (which like Lynk turned me into a Macross fan). I "rediscovered" the anime world later in highschool with shows like Patlabor and Macross Plus. That was back when anime was still pretty underground and harder to get access to.

Archived