Home

Multiplatform

jrrtoken

Seeing as other MMOs in the past have ported their games from Windows to other computer-oriented systems (Mac, Linux), does anyone believe that BioWare will follow suit, and eventually port TOR to other platforms after the debut on Windows?

From what I've seen, it seems that the HeroEngine has a server client for Linux, which is expected. If that is true, then I suppose it is technically possible for there to be a Linux user client.

Yet, seeing as BioWare seems to have an unofficial contract with Microsoft to keep their games exclusive to them as of late, I do see it unlikely for their to be an official Linux port in the works.

I hear the MAC osx is linux based... I would not mind seeing it...but I'm not sure about any cross compatibility. the only stuff with any thread of a chance of being cross compatible is a universal programming language recognized by all computer types/kinds/brands. Just my :twocents:.

I think it'd be pretty cool if it went to Linux and Mac, but I don't think there's much of a precedent of doing that on EA's and LA's parts.

I hear the MAC osx is linux based

Linux and Mac are both Unix based.

the only stuff with any thread of a chance of being cross compatible is a universal programming language recognized by all computer types/kinds/brands. Just my :twocents:.

The problem isn't the languages, it's the fact that games have to work with the different OS's. If they really wanted to they could program the game in Java and have it run on Windows, Mac, OpenSolaris, and nearly every Linux distro.

• 4 weeks later...

How many Mac users are going to spend $200 on Windows just so they can boot camp a few games? I'm not saying that it's going to screw over the game's future if they didn't do it, but evidently Blizzard saw it as profitable enough to warrant investing the money to port it.

If you're a primarily "computer" gamer (rather than console), I would think buying a copy of Windows XP would be well worth it as Mac game support is just not there yet. I wouldn't rule it out for Mac, they may do it at some point. Saying that is is "PC-only" probably isn't a good sign, but I think they were mostly saying that in response to whether it would be on consoles.

You could always just give Mac users a vivid oral description of the game while you're playing it, then they could experience it vicariously through you.
You are in an open field west of a big white building with a welded-shut front door.

There is a small holoreceiver here.

> examine holoreceiver

The holoreceiver is powered off

> power on holoreceiver

I don't know the word "power on"

> turn on holoreceiver

Turning on the small holoreceiver revelas a new message

> read message

"WELCOME TO TOR!

TOR is a game of adventure, danger, and low cunning. In it you will explore some of the most amazing territory ever seen by mortals. No computer should be without one!"

> _

You are in an open field west of a big white building with a welded-shut front door.

There is a small holoreceiver here.

> examine holoreceiver

The holoreceiver is powered off

> power on holoreceiver

I don't know the word "power on"

> turn on holoreceiver

Turning on the small holoreceiver revelas a new message

> read message

"WELCOME TO TOR!

TOR is a game of adventure, danger, and low cunning. In it you will explore some of the most amazing territory ever seen by mortals. No computer should be without one!"

> _

>walk left

You are eaten by a wampa

Archived