Home

Sleep Mode deprivation

stoffe

(At least I think it's called Sleep Mode in English: the shutdown option in Windows where the fans, hard drive and other devices power down, but you can start right back up to where you were by clicking a mouse button or pressing a keyboard key.)

Anyway, I've lately started having some weird problems with my computer when putting it in Sleep mode. Most of the time it works like it's supposed to with no problems, but 3 times so far (but not 3 times in a row) it seems to get stuck halfway through the sequence. It turns off the monitor, mouse etc and the indicator on the computer case flashes like it was in Sleep mode. But it doesn't power down the fans, the Num Lock LED on the keyboard is still turned on, and it stops responding to any input from the keyboard or mouse, refusing to "wake up" again.

After I turn it off with the power button on the computer itself it seems like the BIOS has forgotten a bunch of its settings. It beeps and asks me to enter Setup to fix. So I have to set the clock and a few other settings back to how they should be. Then it restarts (seemingly turns off for a few seconds, unlike when you normally save BIOS settings where it just reboots) and everything seems to work like it should again. (Until the next time it happens.)

I got no idea what's happening, but it's rather irritating when the computer is this unreliable and you never know if it's going to power down as intended or get stuck. It doesn't happen every time, and it's been a few weeks between instances (I usually put the computer in Sleep Mode whenever I'm not going to be using it for a while, which may be a couple of times per day.)

I got an ASUS P5Q-E motherboard (according to the system info it has an American Megatrends 1003 BIOS).

Anyone have any suggestions what might be going on and how to remedy it?

Hello Stoffe! Sorry to hear your pc is having sleep issues....This is what us htpc fans call 'black magic' :p

*What settings re S1 and S3 modes are enabled in your BIOS?

*What do you have your power management settings at?

You may also want to query which of your devices is not being re-enabledproperly using the powercfg command line options.. more info here

This type of issue can often be mainboard specific, we come across it ALOT in htpc setups especially. One of my colleagues at the htpc forum I contribute at came up with the highly popular MC Standby tool. Whilst it is targeted at media center functionality, it allows manipulation of advanced power management options via a GUI. 'Tis also free ;)

sleep_state.png

mtfbwya

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have any "extra" devices plugged in that are not meant to remain there indefinitely? (IE MP3 player, flash drive, external hard drive, etc)

These can cause problems or bugs for restart, sleep, and start up from a complete shutdown. And it varies from system to system. I.E. I have an eMachinesT5274 and what I noticed about it was that if I had my iPod plugged in when starting u[, it made the mouse inoperable until you reset the computer again (without the ipod plugged in). So it might be external interference. Or it could be something else--just something to consider by process of elimination. That's all I can think to offer you right now.

Good to make your accquaintence.

• 4 weeks later...

Happened again now. :(

Hello Stoffe! Sorry to hear your pc is having sleep issues....This is what us htpc fans call 'black magic' :p

*What settings re S1 and S3 modes are enabled in your BIOS?

*What do you have your power management settings at?

The only BIOS settings I could find relating to this were:

Suspend Mode: Auto

Repost Video on S3 resume: No

ACPI 2.0 support: Disabled

ACPI APIC Support: Enabled

Sleep Mode (or whatever it's called in the English version) is enabled in Win XP.

I'll have a look at the applications you recommended and see what they say.

Have you done anything to your system lately, hardware or software related? Also, sometimes memory can cause sleep mode issues, since everything is stored into the RAM and the rest of the system is powered off.

Haven't changed any hardware or installed any new software that could affect this when it suddenly started happening.

Do you have any "extra" devices plugged in that are not meant to remain there indefinitely? (IE MP3 player, flash drive, external hard drive, etc)

No extra devices, the only USB devices I have plugged in are the keyboard, mouse and printer.

Archived