Home

Death

Miltiades

Knocked out, Kolto tank heal in local med station, keep fighting. They'll probably have adrenaline packs or something to stim knocked out players into consciousness, and most likely Force Powers for that purpose as well. Jedi will most likely have a Healer tree, like WoW Paladins.

Other than that, the typical reduction in stats for a limited amount of time after death and so on.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first look at this thread gave me a morbid feeling....but reading it has changed that, so...nevermind:D

I'd think that if they follow traditional MMO death, they'd probably respawn you to some nearby city or health facility. But you'd probably lose equipment and that would be unfortunate...

But personally, I'd think it would be pretty cool if you just continue on as a ghost, until you reach some certain objective, or place. That would be fun:D

It also allows farming runs--let's face it--if you want to make any in-game gold, at some point you have to farm items of some kind or another.

I'm hoping this would not be necessary in MMOTOR; that you could earn enough credits by doing something more interesting than kill the same group of monsters over and over and over and over and over.... But that's probably wishful thinking, grind can keep players occupied much longer than any real content that would take more of an effort on the developers' side to produce.

(Guild Wars is a textbook example of how not to do it in this regard. Not only does the game actively discourage team play by penalizing players with less loot and XP when teaming up with others. All its quests and missions give pathetic rewards compared to what you can earn in the same amount of time by simply slaughtering the same group of monsters over and over -- using a specialized character build that essentially equals God Mode against that type of enemy, involving little risk and no effort other than the ability not to fall asleep from tedium. :))

Even if TOR is designed to not be a grind there would still be one way of making money that is better than most, and players would farm that, and then prices would rise because people who are willing to grind will be able to pay more to get what they want, and that will make other players grind to get the same stuff.

While losning exp points and currency might have been an understandable feature of an action/rpg type of game like CastleVania 2: Simon's Quest...but even that can be quite annoying and frustrating even for just an old NES game circa 1988. Now if there was some kind of storage safehouse for goodies, I'd be aight with that.

If you lost your weapons...well crap...I'd be too afraid to use my lightsaber if it as much of a biatch to obtain as it was in the kotor games... Or any good armor. Call me a cheap azz jew bastard, but I have numerous times made stupid mistakes, or even just inevitably tired out and lost.

Maybe respawn outside in front of coruscant hospital? (it worked for GTA games :xp:)

It depends on a few things, IMO.

One, is PVP. If the world is essentially your own, like Guild Wars or an SRPG, with multiplayer only being in certain sections, or the option of turning PvP off, then an XP penalty for death is acceptable, though I would hope respawning would place you somewhere "safe" so the same mob or boss that killed you wouldn't keep doing it. As well, this XP loss should never go into negative XP, and you shouldn't lose levels for it. Sure, this means that at lvl 20 with 30 XP points, you could die a lot and the penalty really wouldn't matter to you.

I do like WoW's ability to choose to run back to your corpse, and the "resurrection sickness" for reviving at the healer. It gives you a choice between wanting to continue trying at whatever you were doing, and taking a break, and I like that.

If there is PvP anywhere in the gameworld(and no way to avoid it), then there should be no death penalty. Punishing people for other people wanting to kill you is stupid and only going to piss people off when the inevitable max-level players decide they're bored and want to go kill lowbies.

If there is a death penalty, there should be a way to get bonus xp. In video games, button combos make you attacks "cooler" and therefore grant you more XP. Depending on the number of attacks you have, the same could be done for TOR. Do X move and then Y move and then A move and you get 200% xp. If they're going to punish us for not playing well(which is what dying essentially means), then they should reward us for playing well.

In video games, button combos make you attacks "cooler" and therefore grant you more XP. Depending on the number of attacks you have, the same could be done for TOR. Do X move and then Y move and then A move and you get 200% xp. If they're going to punish us for not playing well(which is what dying essentially means), then they should reward us for playing well.
Is TOR not a video game? :p

I personally think that the best approach to death would be the way it is done in the KotOR games. This is supposed to be a spin-off of those games right? But I'm still the new guy here, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Death in RPG's and MMORPG's have, for the most part, been handled conservatively. How do you think it should be handled in The Old Republic?

An example would be a World of Warcraft style of death, where you resurrect as a Force Ghost (Jedi/Sith characters) and need to find your corpse, or some kind of quest.

An other example would be respawning to the closest city or town.

Discuss!

Hmm that's a very interesting concept you have there (i.e. force ghost and all). Personally I've yet to play an MMO or MMORPG, but from what I hear dying is a HUGE setback, perhaps things have changed a bit from back then idk. But for TOR the idea of coming back as a force ghost to find and re-assume your old body is good one, I mean it's a game that people will be paying their hard earned money for and it wouldn't be fair for the player to have to start over from scratch (levels and all) simply because their character death/resurrection didn't fit normal Star Wars canon (or however you would phrase it). Besides, your idea sounds a lot better than simply getting a "game over" screen and prompted to retry :p

you can't reload in an MMO unfortunatly :p

I apologize if I was unclear. But what I meant was that, instead of actually dieing, your character falls unconscious. Or maybe they could revitalize themselves with the force.

Yeah, while a Force Ghost or Force Revitalize would fit in easily with TOR, it only works for Force sensitives. And I have no idea for something similar for non-Force sensitives. A party member with Force Powers probably will have limits on his resurrection skill, so there must be a "standard" way of dying and reviving.

Having only read a few posts in this thread, my immediate thought would include being incapacitated, and then being dragged to the nearest resurrection facility housing a number of Bacta tanks. Quite conventional and in line with the Star Wars universe I'd think.

I take it that they had this technology also at this time. :)

I'd imagine there'd be a healing-specific class, and you'll get spamming for healers regardless :p

I was referring to the fact that Te Melanin Man o' War mentioned that revitalisation through the Force could be the only logical way to be revived, which would mean that everyone would be dependent on Jedi to get back to playing. Can you imagine how dull it would be being completely unable to play due to being unable to find a Jedi willing to rez you? ;)

I was referring to the fact that Te Melanin Man o' War mentioned that revitalization through the Force could be the only logical way to be revived, which would mean that everyone would be dependent on Jedi to get back to playing. Can you imagine how dull it would be being completely unable to play due to being unable to find a Jedi willing to rez you? ;)

Was that supposed to be my name? Anyway, I also offered the suggestion that they could just fall unconscious like in the KotOR games, then after a while their found by some medical droid or something. Or maybe a medical droid could be like a puppet to a certain party member, or come from your ship/base to revive you once it figures out that your vitals are down.

And please, copy and paste my name next time:lol:.

I think getting back to base is a good idea. Simple but effective.

Losing experience is EQ-ish. What if some part was very difficult and caused you to die a lot? What if you sort of suck at the game and die so much that at a certain point, quests don't allow you to gather enough experience to level properly?

An extreme situation, certainly, but some food for thought.

You are going to die often in an MMO. Let's not make people want to punch a puppy because they died.

Archived