Home

I need help

Nerd_Annhilator

.... HA fooled you, I haven't gone loopy quite yet. I've been looking at how to burn .avi files/ divx files to DVD for watching on TV, you know, the sort that you usually find on totally legal internets sites. Problem is theres so many (****ty) looking programs to do this, and I'd prefer this to basically be a perfect copy. I don't want any loss in quality etc.

SO, does anyone have any experience doing such things, and any programs which you recommend?

burn a disc with the file of whatever format you first mentioned, rub that disc on your genitals profusely, pop that genitally rubbed disc back into your computer, and weep as you realize your genitals are no where near powerful enough to convert file formats like mine are

Otherwise, to actually make dvd's out of whatever input files I happen to be presented with I like to use Avisynth for frame serving and any resize/fps adjustment/cropping/adding borders/deinterlacing, CinemaCraft Encoder for mpeg-2 encoding, BeSweet GUI for any fps adjustment/surround remixing/ac-3 encoding of audio, and finally DVD Lab Pro for menu creation, chapters, authoring the DVD and such. Of course, I use other programs too as incidentals, gspot/media info for info about the media files, a VBR mpeg bitrate calculator, photoshop for menu's and buttons, various subtitle programs to edit/create/time them.

and people say they want to do somethign without a loss of quality but anytime you encode video/audio with a lossy compression (like mpeg, dolby digital) you are going to lose some information. The trick is to make sure that the information you lose is basically imperceptible by making sure the output formats have a high enough bitrate/correct resoultion.

Anyway, this method has worked very well for me, things like the french Taxi films are not available uncut on NTSC discs here in the US so I have to use PAL versions to create NSTC versions. The results are really good, better than some dvd's i've seen in stores, but of course, I can't quite replicate the quality of a big studio.

burn a disc with the file of whatever format you first mentioned, rub that disc on your genitals profusely, pop that genitally rubbed disc back into your computer, and weep as you realize your genitals are no where near powerful enough to convert file formats like mine are

Best suggestion so far.

While not *directly* related, I believe http://www.vixy.net is associated w/ DIVX and .AVI player programs distributed for free. Vixy is a neat little program you can even download into your computer (F.R.E.E.) that takes videos from youtube.com and converts them into downloadable files for your computer. It does AVI, DIVX like I said before, it also makes MP4 for iPod and PSP, also you can just keep the soundtrack and convert it to MP3 format.

One caveat with the MP3 format: the track itself may be only like,say 5:00 long, BUT it will appear to look like several hours. It is coded this way as a sort of looping (semi-consisten/semi-random) for approximate fast forward or rewind. This is not a problem much on an MP3 player as they are more precise with less incidences of error--you try that on your computer...it *just* doesn't work--so you'll have to listen to it the whole way through. It's impossible to cue it up to any precise point, especially where the audio is not constant (IE "yelling at cats" audio track mp3). Try it, you'll see what I'm talking about.

It is less lossy than other transcoders, but also it does not always succeed. IE my ex was especially fond of Rina Aiuchi "Ruby Stars" (bleh!) when she came accross it on youtube. She kept trying like 10 times and it downloaded but the file was bad... So if it has some kind of encryption or protection from transcoding...you won't get the file.

Just my :twocents:.

File conversion pubes? Dath, do they have those in the future... where you came from?

Archived