Home

A word of critisism perhaps?

Wojtu1990

Hey guys,

I was once a great enthusiast of this mod. And I am forever a great JK series fan. Reviving DK was a great idea. But it was back then in 2003. I know there was a shift in the modding team, still 6 years is far too long for a production of a mod. What was once a great engine for games, JA renderware is now a piece of IT rubbish replaced by far more advanced technology.

I guess even the most hardcore fans got dissapointed by now. I've been watching the site for all those years and feel that JA is somehow outdated, although all 5 original JK games are still amazing.

Guys if you have the guts, don't let us wait until 2013. It is not worth it. Just look at your progress bars. They haven't moved a bit since the publication of the second demo and you are just lagging with three levels or so left. Publishing screenshots doesn't change the situation.

I know you have school work etc. Yet someone invented Counter-Strike and finished it with unplanned worldwide commercial success. It was only a mod. If you realy want to, you can finish a work of creation between your timetable.

Good Luck!

That's reality. Game levels are so much work and require a lot of dedication and perseverance. You have to make a lot of personal sacrifices to get it done. If you've never made a single player level with all the bells and whistles you might not understand.

Imagine yourself thirty or more years later would you play old games to revive memories? I will certanly do. (well if moon stays in orbit and the sun still shining:) )

This mod is artwork of it's creators. And not just a copy of DarkForces.

Sure, there are newer, more beautiful engines. And yes, it takes a long time to finish the project.

They can't help it. They're a small team, they're doing this as a fun project and honestly ,they've done a great job uptil now. I don't think the main goal of a mod this size is to ever complete it. Sure, everyone wants to, and it's great if it ever gets completed. But the main fun is working on it, and just knowing you're doing this because of this game you used to play, used to love, all these years ago.

Furthermore: I think the people that will be mainly playing the mod are the ones that, as someone mentioned, get all nostalgic and want to play the game again. This can happen now, in ten years, or whenever. However, they then have this mod to play, i/o the original :)

I know from my own experience that although I hope so, I doubt my motsmod will ever get completed with the current team size. However, we didn't really have another choice, engine wise. Besides, I'm happy with whatever we can accomplish, and for me, it's the process that counts.

Yep, chill. If it would be possible to finish mods for all the JK games in Renderware that would be a great success. I am still waiting. I really enjoyed the demos. In fact at first I thought they are a professional modding team. I guess setting timetable aims helps to realize dreams. Quit the "when it's done method".

A nice kick-ass is only a nice kick-ass.;P

...I guess setting timetable aims helps to realize dreams. Quit the "when it's done method"...

Well then, I would say you have more than enough time to download the modding tools for the game and learn a skill (mapping, modeling, texturing, scripting, effects, etc.) and volunteer your time and efforts to speed up its completion-- get off the sideline and contribute... after all it's just a matter of applying oneself to learn to use simple software right?

Hey guys,

I was once a great enthusiast of this mod. And I am forever a great JK series fan. Reviving DK was a great idea. But it was back then in 2003. I know there was a shift in the modding team, still 6 years is far too long for a production of a mod. What was once a great engine for games, JA renderware is now a piece of IT rubbish replaced by far more advanced technology.

I guess even the most hardcore fans got dissapointed by now. I've been watching the site for all those years and feel that JA is somehow outdated, although all 5 original JK games are still amazing.

Guys if you have the guts, don't let us wait until 2013. It is not worth it. Just look at your progress bars. They haven't moved a bit since the publication of the second demo and you are just lagging with three levels or so left. Publishing screenshots doesn't change the situation.

I know you have school work etc. Yet someone invented Counter-Strike and finished it with unplanned worldwide commercial success. It was only a mod. If you realy want to, you can finish a work of creation between your timetable.

Good Luck!

All fair points. The problem on our end is not just the time we have to do the work but the size of the team. If we had more mappers/modelers/etc. things would go a lot faster. As it is, the primary audience for the mod are fans of the original game who would play the original DF today for nostalgia's sake (not that there isn't plenty for newcomers to enjoy). As far as the progress bars on they main page, they haven't been updated because I could find the script to update them. The next time I have to update the site (add new screenshots, etc.) I'll see if I can't locate it and make changes.

Btw, I'm hoping to have enough finished by the end of the year to put out the next release, which will include at least new versions of levels 6 and Ramses Hed (hopefully more, depending on what I get done over the summer).

Are there any artistic or technical institutes around your area that teach the skills that would be useful to this project, DarkStarMojo? Have you thought about looking for recruits among the students or alumni there? Not only would it aid the progress of this project but it would also add valuable experience credentials to their resumes and possibly assist them in finding employment later on.

I would urge not only DarkStarMojo but everyone on the team to look into something like this. This would be great because not only would you have individuals working together over the Internet but you would have entire teams (regardless of their size) surrounding each member of the project who successfully recruited such persons, all working together with one another one-on-one under the same roof. When people physically work together it tends to ensure that more progress is made. Communication is so much easier that way.

I wish the entire team could work together in one location under the same roof, but that obviously won't happen now that the team has been assembled over the Internet. But with each of those original team members (or as many of them as possible) working with their own real-life teams comprised of students or alumni aspiring to careers in game development, I think it would be a great help. Perhaps they could even use this as accredited projects should the students be required such things in order to obtain their degrees.

I know I'm making a bold proposal, but it may be well worth it if you are all serious and passionate about seeing this project to completion, as I believe you are.

Plus, remember that there are a few of us who are more excited about the Jedi Knight mod than we are abou the Dark Forces mod, and we desperately want to see this project completed so that work can resume on the next project. ;)

Jedi Academy is still the most versatile and advanced Star Wars game engine on the PC.

What I wish would happen is that the DFMod team would release a "Multiplayer Pack." That I think would increase interest in the mod and lead to further volunteers to finish up development.

All you really need to do is the weapon coding and tweak the maps for MP, since all the rest of the stuff is already done for you... the models, skins, textures, and sounds.

Archived