Home

Star Trek *Spoilers*

Darth Groovy

What are your thoughts of the new Star Trek film?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts of the new Star Trek film?

• It rocked!
    • It sucked!
    • Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Yoda!

I'd say this broke the informal rule of thumb----Even's good/Odd's bad.

@TC--yeah, Urban had some good lines. Peg was all over the place, like Scotty on speed (but it worked, anyway). I think if they could keep up the pacing, chemistry and wed it to good stories, this could possibly be a worthy addition in serial form (or at least no worse than anything post-TOS).

• 2 weeks later...

Quoted from other thread:

tho i'm half expecting this to be J.J. Arbams huge pilot for the future series he's looking to do.

your thoughts?

This reminds me of everyone's reaction to the creation of the Lost Pilot--they all said it felt as if they were creating a feature-length film. This concept is really interesting to me, and I think that the movie could actually work very well as a sort of "Pilot Episode."

ok well i totally skipped over this thread and made a worthless one...LoL

anyways i'm never really been a trek person but in series form i prefer Deep Space Nine. As a movie i loved this film which says something from me as i tend to be a bit picky. I think J.J. used the alternate timeline aspect as a way to do things his way, which appeared to work. I have no complaints, but i also can't point out the inconsistencies since i don't know much about the source material.

DATH LIKES TREK!!!

Context:

I was chatting with Dath before I left to see Star Trek and he was very clear that as a die hard Star Trek fan who has seen every episode, his opinion was the ultimate say in whether the new movie was a good Star Trek film or not.

I'm glad to hear he approves.

Context:

I was chatting with Dath before I left to see Star Trek and he was very clear that as a die hard Star Trek fan who has seen every episode, his opinion was the ultimate say in whether the new movie was a good Star Trek film or not.

I'm glad to hear he approves.

More little known Dath Facts:

1. He is actually a big, soft, cuddly bear.

2. He used to work at a pre school.

3. His girlfriend's family thinks he a very nice guy.

Also: Wally and I saw Star Trek in a virtually abandoned theater the day before it came out o_Q

Okay, am I the only one that picked up on the fact that they didn't change the timeline at all. At the end, Old Spock clearly says that he lied to Kirk about universe ending paradoxes for the single reason to bring spock and kirk together as friends so that everything could progress as originally planned?

Also, the movie was brilliant. Breathtaking visuals, funny, heart wrenching, great action sequences. Saw First Contact and Generations and probably Wrath of Khan years ago, and that's then extent of my Trek knowledge. This one wins. It's just made of win.

Okay, am I the only one that picked up on the fact that they didn't change the timeline at all. At the end, Old Spock clearly says that he lied to Kirk about universe ending paradoxes for the single reason to bring spock and kirk together as friends so that everything could progress as originally planned?

Also, the movie was brilliant. Breathtaking visuals, funny, heart wrenching, great action sequences. Saw First Contact and Generations and probably Wrath of Khan years ago, and that's then extent of my Trek knowledge. This one wins. It's just made of win.

They definitely changed the timeline. Kirk's father died--clearly that changed things. I think when Old Spock said that he was specifically referring to the "universe ending paradoxes" of him meeting his young self. If anything this is proof of an alternative timeline because if he had traveled back into the same timeline then meeting himself probably WOULD have been a universe ending paradox, but because of the alternative reality there are no longer any repercussions.

That was my take on it, anyway.

They definitely changed the timeline. Kirk's father died--clearly that changed things. I think when Old Spock said that he was specifically referring to the "universe ending paradoxes" of him meeting his young self. If anything this is proof of an alternative timeline because if he had traveled back into the same timeline then meeting himself probably WOULD have been a universe ending paradox, but because of the alternative reality there are no longer any repercussions.

That was my take on it, anyway.

Mine as well.

My take on it:

A time raveller can change certain events, intentionally or not, but a timeline will do what it can to fix itself. You see it many movies with time travel messing up events; a series of coincidences puts the main aspects of the timeline right, though certain things change.

Well,.. yes and no. Mostly no.

The original Trek timeline had Kirk being 1st Officer on another ship (forget the name) and the rest of the crew (sans Checkov... he came later...) on the Enterprise under Captain Pike.

Kirk was promoted after Pike disappeared on a mission. He was later found by the Enterprise crew crippled and unable to speak.

The entrance of the Romulan ship at the time of Kirk's birth apparently changed everything that followed from that point.

But it's changing one completely fictional future history with a different one... kind of a big "So What?" as long as it makes for good movies and entertainment.

Well,.. yes and no. Mostly no.

The original Trek timeline had Kirk being 1st Officer on another ship (forget the name) and the rest of the crew (sans Checkov... he came later...) on the Enterprise under Captain Pike.

Kirk was promoted after Pike disappeared on a mission. He was later found by the Enterprise crew crippled and unable to speak.

The entrance of the Romulan ship at the time of Kirk's birth apparently changed everything that followed from that point.

But it's changing one completely fictional future history with a different one... kind of a big "So What?" as long as it makes for good movies and entertainment.

Good points and totally agree with the "so what" thing. Was a great movie that hopefully brings more great movies

Archived