Home

Ender's New Computer Thread

Next Question:

Ram - is 1333 RAM going to hurt me? Because I heard from one of my friends that there isn't too big of a performance issue between 1333 and 1600 RAM, and it seems that the motherboard I bought supports only

" Memory Standard DDR3 2000 (O.C) / 1866 (O.C) / 1333 " Ram.

_EW_

Unless you are going to be using high powered graphical apps like Avery and her quadro rig, you wont notice it for general gaming and apps.

Most of us never tax our RAM memory more than 40%

The other instance where the higher grade + quantity RAM is advantageous:

*Multiple VMs

*Server setup

*Overclocking RAM for benchmarking purposes

*Bragging rights

I recently built an x58 Corei17 rig with 4GB 1333 DDR3, I dont see the RAM doing anything more spectacularly than the 3GB DDR2 I had on my AMD rig for gaming and general fluffing about. More cores are helping with encodes, faster GPU is great for the games.

mtfbwya

Ive kept my corei7 at its stock 2.66GHz. I havent had any gripes. Admittedly the people I do see keeping this cpu at 3.2Ghz etc are 3dmark junkies.

I miss my athlon x2 relatively lower temps. For all the super feats of Intel and core i5/7, they still havent figured out how to make a cool chip.

*waves fists at shuttle for not supporting amd in high end rig* :p

Astro

:drop2:

Did I just hear you right?! You actually bought a Core i7 Shuttle?! WTF! Astro's gone Intel?!!!

It's just too good of a chip to pass up, isn't it (if you've got the money)? Welcome to the Darkside, my child. :devsmoke:

Really, though, if you've got the cash it's the smartest purchase you could make. That thing's an absolute beast, and someone who messes around with video as much as you do would find it most useful. :)

EDIT: Heads up, Ender! Newegg's dropped the price on that Corsair 850TX PSU by $10.00 and they're offering an additional $5.00 of via their email newsletter. And, as I predicted, Bing.com is offering double cashback, so Newegg's cashback is now at 10% (just go to bing.com and type "newegg" into the search window, then follow the link), meaning that you can get that PSU for $94.49 if the cashback goes through, $104.99 if it doesn't. That's more than $20.00 less than it was a week ago.

:drop2:

Did I just hear you right?! You actually bought a Core i7 Shuttle?! ...

It's just too good of a chip to pass up, isn't it (if you've got the money)? Welcome to the Darkside, my child. :devsmoke:

lolz.. I thought you may have seen it in the AHTO cool stuff thread. Yes, I have an i7 920. It runs comparatively warmer to my x2 6000 but the performance gains in edit renders and encodes are clear to see. Other shuttle users run at stable and with decent temps at 3.2Ghz but I cant say I feel the need to. It does OK as it is.

I must admit, I keep forgetting the i7 is in there... Ive been too busy having fun with the GTX 295 Single PCB ;) If you want some amusing reading about it - pop into the folding social group miniforum for a fuller picture.

I must admit it kicks much a$$ for gaming.... I was playing assassins creed in 2500x1600 and had accidentally left the multi display setup on(required for folding). The game continued to run without a hitch...

anyway, sorry for the minor hijack >>

back to EWs rig

mtfbwya

I know the feeling. I waited 18 months to get this upgrade :)

In the meantime, seeing as you are proud to be misanthropic (as I have been for a long time), if you havent done so yet - read Moliere's masterpiece. 'Tis the textbook of Misanthropy. Personally, you still seem a bit too amiable and pleasant, but women and mortgages will beat that out of you in time :D

http://www.bibliomania.com/0/6/4/1049/frameset.html

mtfbwya

Archived