Home

Dueling improvement

GlowingFauxPas

Right now dueling isn't nearly as powerful as dual wielding, how about beefing up the dueling feats? I was thinking of something like this

tier 1: +1atk/+2def

tier 2: +2atk/+3def +1 damage

tier 3: +3atk/+4def +2 damage

or something along those lines. Dual wielding, which right now is much more powerful, might be changed from -6(-4 for balanced)/-6, -4(-2)/-4, -2(-0)/-2

to

-6(-4)/-6, -5(-2)/-5, -3(-1)/-3

Also, the penalties for flurry might be changed from -4, -2, -1 to -4, -3, -2. And maybe advanced levels of critical strike could add to the dc against stun, or reduce the ac penalty.

I've always gone with two-weapon fighting instead of dueling for that very reason. It would be interesting to rebalance that so dueling or two-weapon fighting so that going through the game with one lightsaber actually has some benefits over using two at a time. I'ma take a crack at this.

I played the game twice:

Once with duelling, once with dual wielding, and I must say: Malak is hard to beat with one weapon, but with two I killed him four times faster than with once.

Improved duelling is a very good idea, 'cause I personally like fighting with one weapon a lot more than with two, but with two, you're a lot stronger in K1.

What the hell are ya talking about? Kotor is the only game ive ever played in which the dueling and dual wield are balanced. Malak easier to beat with duals than a single? Malak is so damn easy that ive never even noticed that. I have a character that has a single saber and she has 48 ac. nothing gets through. I played BOS with her, got hit once. The ending fight was ridiculous. I was like " what? Thats it?" Then i have a character with duals, 35 ab and 39 ac. Blocks everything else but malak´s attacks, but it doesnt matter since malak cannot take two power attacks before running away. And these are on difficult.

kotor 2 is a whole different chapter, there is no real need for dueling. And its quite useless in that game too. I have a character (guardian WM) With 81 ac and 85 ab. 6 attacks/round and damage from 50-80 (of course the crits do way more). If you want to improve dueling do it for K2.

Well to be honest I wasn't thinking of one game over the other, but there are mods out there that make kotor 1 harder, so if the logic is that the game is easy anyway, the rebalance would be an issue for someone who made the game harder. In both games, dual wielding is more powerful than dueling.

Well, I'm not particularly experienced with 2da editing, but I figured that it sounded like an easy fix. From what I understand, its only possible to change the feat granting, as changing feats seems not to be possible.

Otherwise... I wonder if there's a way to change the lightsaber utis so that they grant defense bonuses, but only if used as a single weapon. That'll probably have to do for now...

Archived