Home

Happy 10 Year Anniversary "The Phantom Menace"

Shem

I thought the Midi-chlorian addition was quite interesting:D It added a new level to the Star Wars universe, so it could be more...scientific so to say, then just some magical force or something:D I mean, the Original Trilogy did an excellent job without the Midi-chlorians, so it's pretty cool either way:D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm on the pro-midichlorian side of the argument, probably because I'm a prequel kid. :D
Same. I think the explanation of the midichlorians makes sense in the context of the PT. And even if it didn't, I don't think I'd be bothered by it. There's still a lot of mystery surrounding the Force. :)

I went to see it with friends from work, and apart from notable cringe-worthy moments I remember enjoying it overall, in part because of the buzz I got from the DOTF. That wore off though and now recognize it as an flawed movie, although I think to some degree some people fell into the hip to hate thing and it isn't as bad as some would have you believe.

DVD is the best way to watch it. It's a very enjoyable 1 hour movie :p. IMO some of the best parts of the entire saga (like the opening fight on the TF ship, DOTF duel, and Qui-Gon in general) are in TPM. The problem is the rest that goes with it.

Mmm, same but it rather destroyed the whole mysticism of the Force by providing a rational explanation for it all. Edmund Burke pointed out that the unclear and uncertain is far more interesting than what is definite... it's probably the only thing that he got right...
How did it destroy the whole mysticism of the Force? All the midi-chlorian thing does is explain how Jedi are able to use/manipulate it, and why one Jedi's connection is stronger than another. That's it. It doesn't "explain" the Force at all.

How did it destroy the whole mysticism of the Force? All the midi-chlorian thing does is explain how Jedi are able to use/manipulate it, and why one Jedi's connection is stronger than another. That's it. It doesn't "explain" the Force at all.

That's the same impression that I was left with. The Force itself remains as mysterious as ever.

@leXX: geezer smiley saved for later. :lol:

You're absolutely right. My bad.

Indeed..what is the force, how did it manifest in midichlorians, and why, other than it being a freak of nature?

In EU, I always enjoyed reading about the different types of Force users, not all of them in robes and sporting sabers. I also loved how the ysalimiri 'cancelled out' the force ;)

mtfbwya

I remember all the Star Wars outfits and so many people brought Darth Maul replica lightsabers and there was a series of duels in the theater when we were seated a couple of hours early and we were rooting on the fights.

I remember everytime I went with my family to see that movie (I think Dad and I saw it 5 times)I would bring my lightsaber and fight with another random kid who brought theirs. One occurance I recall was when I was like, 6 and in a four way lightsaber fight with my cousin Bodhi at a drive-in movie theater, and my dad bought a darth maul lightsaber and let me use it.

Those were good times...

i loved the movie, and still do love most of it - podracing and the qui-gon & obi-wan vs. maul duel being the stand-outs. and it's far better than episode II, let's face it. i don't mind the whole midichlorians thing, it's a minor aspect of the Force concept and seems to work fairly inoffensively, provided one is not a dinosaur (boom boom).

shame about jar-jar, really.

I don't really have a problem with the story of Anakin. I just think the Midichlorians thing was hokey. The Force itself made more sense in a Karmic and Aural frame of reference than micro-bugs.

hansolo.jpg

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

10 years since TPM hit theaters. Wow. Time does fly. My memories of The Phantom Menace?

- Qui-Gon Jinn and his belief in the Living Force. I emotionally connected with that character.

- Seeing "Force speed" used for the first time in the SW films

- The pod race. It rocked.

- Wondering what midichlorians had to do with the Force.

- Wondering why Qui-Gon and Anakin were running to the Queen's cruiser when Darth Maul caught up to them (only to have that later answered by a deleted scene that IMHO should never have been cut from the movie)

- Being surprised that Anakin was into older women at such a young age. :p

- Enjoying Darth Maul and how much anger and hatred he emanated while only having a few lines in the entire movie.

- Duel of the Fates, of course. Like Jae I was amazed at how much more skill was depicted in TPM's lightsaber combat than was in the previous SW movies.

- Wondering why Obi-Wan didn't use the previously demonstrated "Force speed" to make it back to Qui-Gon's side before the force field reactivated. Another question later addressed by Steve Sansweet.

- Incredulous that Obi-Wan could vault over Darth Maul's head, while Maul was holding an activated lightsaber, and slice Maul in two with nary a parry from Maul.

- Recognizing Senator Palpatine as the future Emperor.

All in all, I enjoyed TPM, in spite of its shortcomings.

Prime, didn't you point out once that even though people trash TPM, QG Jinn is usually ranked high on peoples list of favorite Jedi?

I was an OT kid and still enjoyed the prequels. Warts and all.

There more enjoyable when they are thought of as part of the "big picture".

Prime, didn't you point out once that even though people trash TPM, QG Jinn is usually ranked high on peoples list of favorite Jedi?
Probably. I always see him mentioned as a favorite character and the ideal version of a Jedi, which is how I view him. He is definitely in my top 5 of favorite SW characters for sure.

I was an OT kid and still enjoyed the prequels. Warts and all.

There more enjoyable when they are thought of as part of the "big picture".

Me too. I never expected to be the same as the OT, and I appreciate them in terms of the light they shed on the SW universe and why things are as they are in the OT.

- Recognizing Senator Palpatine as the future Emperor.

Senator Palpatine was revealed as the Emperor in the prologue of the 1977 novelisation of 'Star Wars/The Adventures of Luke Skywalker' (not called ANH until later) [/sW Trivia Geek]

"Aided and abetted by restless, power hungry individuals, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the people and to restore the glory of the Republic.

Once in office, he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace"

I read that in 1980 IIRC, and always used to imagine it... it was was amazing to see it come to life on screen so many years later

mtfbwya

Senator Palpatine was revealed as the Emperor in the prologue of the 1977 novelisation of 'Star Wars/The Adventures of Luke Skywalker' (not called ANH until later) [/sW Trivia Geek]

Didn't knew the fate, but the Emperor's name was already known, true. I remember reading it on a book back on the 90s.

Wow. 10 years. That makes me feel old.

I didn't think that this one ruined the whole saga, but opened the doors to a whole new part of the Star Wars universe. Sure, its not up to the caliber of the original trilogy, but it wasn't bad. It put a sleeker twist on the movies, and I love Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson. Sure it led into the biggest movie fiasco of the saga (besides the new clone wars thingy), Attack of the Clones, but it was pretty cool. The end battle in the Theed Reactor will always be in my memory.

And really. If you didn't know that Senator Palpatine was the Emperor by then, WHERE WERE YOU!?!?

• 2 weeks later...

And really. If you didn't know that Senator Palpatine was the Emperor by then, WHERE WERE YOU!?!?

In the house of a friend, being 12 years old. He was crazy about episode 1, I had never heard of it. We saw the movie several times, and a few weeks later we saw "those three old movies, with the bad special effects". It took me months to figure out that that nice senator was the evil bad-looking mean guy in the old movies. Anyway, episode 1 introduced me into star wars, and into star wars gaming, for which I am more than grateful. That being said: TPF is the worst SW-movie in my opinion. ROTS and TESB are way better.

About the midichlorians: I like the mistery about the force. The force is some sort of unexplained power, almost a religion/philosophy of it's own. Degrading the Force to Midichlorians is like saying that a god is gut flora, imho.

Archived