Home

Rep. Paul Broun wants "Year of the Bible".

Achilles

or: "Another politician attempts to use the First Amendment as toilet paper".

Link to full article

Here is his own attempt to clarify:

“This doesn’t have anything to do with Christianity,” he said in an interview with POLITICO. Rather, he says, it seeks to recognize that the Bible played an integral role in the building of the United States, including providing the basis for our freedom of religion that allows Muslims, Hindus and even atheists to vocalize their own beliefs.
err, how about advocating a Year of the Establishment Clause instead???

I also found this interesting:

Atheists, who might feel themselves a particular target with the declaration of a biblical year, aren’t even worried about Broun’s effort.

“Right now, we’re seeing atheism on such a rise,” said David Silverman, vice president and national spokesman of American Atheists, a group dedicated to fighting for the civil rights of atheists.

“We are seeing Christianity on such a dramatic decline that we’re not particularly worried about it. We’re thinking that this kind of old-style George W. Bush Republicanism is about to go away,” Silverman said, referring to the latest Pew Forum survey of American religious life, which showed nonreligious Americans as the fastest-growing group.

I'm hoping that there is more to Silverman's argument than what's being presented here, but if not, then this has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. Attempting to violate the Constitution should not only be an important issue some of the time or only when one group tries to do it. I realize he's not representing the ACLU, but seriously.

Archived