Home

Joining an MMO

DrPhil2501

I'm strongly considering joining an MMO. Though I'm abit picky when it comes to game genres. I'm normally into Sci-Fi, Fantasy or even a blend of both. I hate High Fantasy, because I've never really been a big fan of the Medieval setting. Nothing addictive as WoW, because I atleast treasure my social life.

Can anybody recomend anything? Even the downloadable ones.

I'm strongly considering joining an MMO. Though I'm abit picky when it comes to game genres. I'm normally into Sci-Fi, Fantasy or even a blend of both. I hate High Fantasy, because I've never really been a big fan of the Medieval setting. Nothing addictive as WoW, because I atleast treasure my social life.

Can anybody recomend anything? Even the downloadable ones.

If you're into sci fi i would say..EVE online?

Dude, EVE Online is brutal.

You have to ask yourself, are you willing to spend 15 bucks a month to play? How casual or hardcore are you aiming for?

I can't comment on the casual part of EVE Online. I guess there are people who like living in high sec.

City of Heroes/Villains is a good casual game. It's also more fun with a small group. I haven't played it in ages, but I would if it was free to play.

Edit: Bringing up CoH/V makes me want to play again, but I refuse to p[ l ]ay more than one MMO.

If you don't want to feel obligated to get your moneys worth each month, I would go with Guild Wars or find a private server, WoW has tons of them, I'm sure a few other MMOs do too. I've heard Eve is really good although I've been avoiding it since I don't want another repeat of what happened to me when I played WoW.

If you don't want to feel obligated to get your moneys worth each month, I would go with Guild Wars or find a private server, WoW has tons of them, I'm sure a few other MMOs do too. I've heard Eve is really good although I've been avoiding it since I don't want another repeat of what happened to me when I played WoW.

With the release of WOTLK, Blizz integrated some kind of tracking software that lets them know when you're connecting to a non-Blizz server. As such, there are no free WoW servers updated to the latest content, and most of the large ones have been shut down.

With the release of WOTLK, Blizz integrated some kind of tracking software that lets them know when you're connecting to a non-Blizz server. As such, there are no free WoW servers updated to the latest content, and most of the large ones have been shut down.

WoWscape and WoWlegacy are both still up, I'm sure there are more and its not like the private servers were ever updated as frequently as the real servers, you get what you pay for.

Well, I know you said you don't want to do WoW, but it is by far the best MMO out there. If you want something free, I'd say Guild Wars. Only other MMO I've played is SWG and I would not recommend it. :p

Dude, EVE Online is brutal.

You have to ask yourself, are you willing to spend 15 bucks a month to play? How casual or hardcore are you aiming for?

Too be honest, I'm not a big fan of the concept of "Pay-to-Play" as well. Its not worth it.

If you like Sci-fi and Fantasy, I'd recommend RF Online, a good blend of both. Or for just fantasy, The Chronicles of Spellborn.

I saw a the game box of RF Online at my nearest Game Traders shop. Does it need a monthly subscription?

I'm trying my very best to avoid WoW. I've heard that story about the Korean family and how they neglected their new-born baby from playing that game.

I am considering Guild Wars though....

If you like a more FPS style of play then DDO is the one to get...

o_0 Whats DDO?

I'm also considering those Downloadable MMO's from the internet. Like Flyff (my friend is a registered user) Anything grabbed anyones fancy?

o_0 Whats DDO?

DDO.com

I haven't seen another MMO that uses a FPS type interface and combat (you can play the other way keyboard only but you sure can tell those players when they don't evade a fireball too well! lol), though I haven't looked too hard for another MMO that does the same thing combat-wise either. ;)

I saw a the game box of RF Online at my nearest Game Traders shop. Does it need a monthly subscription?

No, though it does have an item mall. And since you can make an account for free, I recommend just downloading the client.

DDO.com

I haven't seen another MMO that uses a FPS type interface and combat (you can play the other way keyboard only but you sure can tell those players when they don't evade a fireball too well! lol), though I haven't looked too hard for another MMO that does the same thing combat-wise either. ;)

Actually, the Chronicles of Spellborn is built on the Unreal Engine, and also features FPS-style combat.

I'm holding out for Jumpgate Evolution myself now that I've left WoW, but Jumpgate will be pay to play as well...I wish I could be more help but I don't have much experience with any of the free MMO's out there.

Thats ok, I'm welcoming any suggestions.

Runes of Magic is a great game. FTP as well.

http://www.runesofmagic.com/en/index.html...............

I got this when I left WoW afew weeks back, and so far it has taken up a fraction of the time, but is still very fun to play.

^ I'm considering it. Its seems very light on the High Fantasy genre, so its ok in my books.

I've downloaded the installer for Ether Saga - which is a free mmo. I havent played it yet, for two reasons:

- The installation process is slow, because its grabbing the files from the internet. It could be my slow internet connection setup :(

- I'm worried the 6 gig memory installation from the internet is gonna greatly effect my internet bill. I havent had much experience in the real world, but has this been proven?

Archived