Home

Possibly Changing of Hands of Games' Rights

clone2727

I posted this in a comment, but I figure it might get more notice in the forums ;)

There has been a new development that has placed the Monkey Island 360 game in the more plausible category. Someone appeared on #scummvm last night (14:08 and on) and claimed that he was going to put ScummVM + Day of the Tentacle on the iPhone (for sale on the AppStore). While that is already interesting enough, he then went and said "the rights are currently owned by Activision now"

Yikes! And what was the publisher listed for Monkey Island 360? Activision Blizzard!

This guy sounds like he's full of **** to me, on a level comparable to good ol' Wolfgang Keidorf. They start off with

I am buying the rights to day of the tentacle

then it becomes

if I can get the rights to DOTT ... and clarify with apple if they will allow me to do this

We also get this:

<bakerkj692> activision is the face behind lucasarts now and the publishing house. Lucasarts is still owned by George Lucas and operates from within activision

O_o ... how has *nobody* heard this? How is this not even a rumour?

My guess is this is some kid with big ideas no clue what they're doing.

Activision has released a lot of Scumm Games in Europe, Australia and new Zealand over the last few years, updating the launchers to be XP compatible. They're the distributer in this part of the world.

http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/showfile.php?id=2247&category=lucasartsnews

So maybe Activision's being proactive in those territories in bringing the games to new platfoirms. Or perhaps now they have a global distribution deal with LucasArts and have gotten the rights to release in USA/Canada etc just like they have for the rest of the world.

Well, even though nothing has been announced (except Fate of Atlantis as bonus content on the new Indy game on Wii), it would seem likely the new head of LucasArts realises he's sitting on a goldmine of existing games that have too long been neglected.

MI for Xbox Live Arcade, and hopefully others. Rumours of DOTT being ported to iPhone. Rumours of new games using old IP. Rumours of telltale making a new series that will "please fans of LucasArts".

And now rumours of Activision (who have been proactive in launching XP compatible versions of many of the classic SCUMM games (plus CMI and Grim) in Europe, Asia and Australia) possibly taking over North American distribution too.

It's more speculation / rumour and potential good newsthan we've had for YEARS.

The more I look at this the more it looks like complete bunk to me.

Reading the logs, the SvummVM folks had to school this guy on the GPL and Apple's EULA. This lack of understanding of pretty basic stuff seriously detracts from this person's credibility.

This person also gives no idication that they're representing a company or working with anyone else at all; everything is "I'm doing this", "I want to do that". If Activision had aquired the global rights to sell any of the LA adventures, which surely would not be free, why would they then license the game to some random person working out of their bedroom? Why, after going to the trouble of getting the rights, would they not just contract a developer for a couple of weeks to get it working for themselves?

Having said that, there is mounting evidence of a change of heart in the LA management. Time will tell I suppose.

Oh, yeah, I doubt he's actually working on Activision / Lucas's behalf at all. But there's the chance he knows *something* (caught wind of a leak) and is spouting off more than he should and talking up / making up his own involvement in whatever may be happening.

Archived