Home

Grim Fandango needs YOU! (Residual)

garrythefish

the detection of versions is currently done in residual and we need the help of the community.

we need the MD5 hashes of the first 5000 bytes of GRIM.TAB, of the versions other than spanish, german and english.

you can simply do this in windows via CMD, using MD5Deep, with the line:

md5deep -p 5000 file | find /i "offset 0-5000"

In "file" bit, is where GRIM.TAB must be put.

thanks in advance guys, appreciated. :thmbup1:

Let me paraphrase and say...wtf are you talking about?

do i need to draw it or spell it out for you? and which part you don't understand? :raise:

we need the GRIM.TAB files of the Russian, Italian and French version of Grim Fandango(we have the English, Spanish and German version already) to calculate a unique sum, that goes by the name MD5, of the first 5000 bytes of the file, which would be used for game detection in Residual, the 3d adventure game reimplementation project.

the sum can be calculated with a little program, MD5deep, by using the command line, which can be accessed in Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt, or CTRL+R and type in "cmd".

M5deep can be extracted where the GRIM.TAB file is located and in the command prompt, in that case run with the following line:

md5deep -p 5000 GRIM.TAB | find /i "offset 0-5000"

As a result you will get a 32 character long mix of lower case letters and numbers, aka MD5 hash value (unique for every data, even changing a bit, can change the value of the whole MD5 completely, so it's used for file verification, thus excellent for game detection). This is what we need, and it would be appreciated if you posted the MD5 hash or send the private message with the GRIM.TAB of the localized version avoiding the whole above process.

Comprende? :)

also we need the file size of GRIM.TAB in bytes. Right click and open "Properties" if you are using Windows, and look up the value (not the Size on disk value, just the Size part), or just type in "dir GRIM.TAB" in the CMD. Together with MD5 hash value of this, the info could be posted for the required versions of the game and used in Residual.

I do! Italian version.

-edit: file sent.

I've sent you the Russian Grim.tab, let me know if they've been useful to you. ;)

We've received the italian and russian version GRIM.TAB and made the MD5s. Thanks N3mo and Grim_comician! :D

We now, still need the French version of the game. any advice on how to acquire it, will be welcome. :thmbup1:

Grim_comician, we have a little problem verifying the existence of the official Russian version, as there are no signs of the official version on the internet (the same with every other Russian LucasArts versions). Can you please sent some sort of evidence to backup the authenticity of the version? I see the dates are corresponding and everything, but i need more to convince the project leader that it's the official version.

cheers

garrythefish> Well, I can't exactly tell if it's official, but the translation and release of the Russian version of Grim Fandango have been issued by the now-discontinued Fargus Multimedia (Фаргус Мультимедия). A familiar friend gave it me when I visited Moscow around ten years ago and I still have it around me. Of course, I've heard rumors of high piracy rate in Russia these days and I'm sceptical whether that Russian version of GF is legal or not.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
garrythefish> Well, I can't exactly tell if it's official, but the translation and release of the Russian version of Grim Fandango have been issued by the now-discontinued Fargus Multimedia (Фаргус Мультимедия). A familiar friend gave it me when I visited Moscow around ten years ago and I still have it around me. Of course, I've heard rumors of high piracy rate in Russia these days and I'm sceptical whether that Russian version of GF is legal or not.

I comfirmed the legality of the version. I found out that Russia at the time didn't have licensed companies that sold games nor was it regulated, and thus game is perfectly legit. Because of the superb quality of the translation and the quite unique juridical position the translation was produced in, it's OK in the eyes of team. Thanks for supplying the MD5. :)

why do you need to detect the versions

In order to properly categorize them and treat them within the code differently, as different versions might have different problems. MD5 detection is used to distinguish versions by recognizing them.

always need it ?

size: 386 292 bytes

md5deep -p 5000 GRIM.TAB | find /i "offset 0-5000" -> 3bd00ca87214862c012ac99e1758dd83

Thanks bobby6killer for md5. :)

Those are all MD5s, at least those that I requested. Again thank you guys. :) Sorry for the belated response.

And now for the fruits of my latest research. There is still a Taiwanese, South Korean and Portugese version, I think. :)

So if someone happens to have them or know someone who does, please notify me :)

I welcome you, in the behalf of the team, to join IRC channel for a chat, to discussions in the Residual official forum or simply take a look at the official Residual website or wiki. Grim Fandango fans united!

Viva La Revolución!

• 9 months later...

Archived