Home

Is Barack Obama a Black Man?

I've had my suspicions for several years now, but nothing yet to confirm them. Still. It's a nagging feeling that I just can't shake. What does everyone else think?

So we can get the most out of this discussion, let's set some ground rules. First, to stop any a/theism debates from cropping up, let's presume god doesn't exist. Since you're still technically free to go off-topic to discuss the subject, I think this rule will do a much better job at preventing a/theism debates than simply disallowing them.

Also, Obama can only be black if god exists.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. From what I understand, most African Americans have some white ancestor if you go back far enough. Nasty little side effect of slavery - the master tended to take "liberties" galore with his female "property."

2. Most of the old segregation laws on the books were some varient of the "one drop" rule. One "drop" of non-white ancestry, and you had to drink from the rusted water fountain and board the back of the bus. This was to deal with the offspring from #1 from protesting they had the same rights as whites.

Given that, he counts.

He is half-black (like myself)' date=' but what does this have to do with God existing? It makes no sense.[/quote']

:ugh:

Most of the old segregation laws on the books were some varient of the "one drop" rule. One "drop" of non-white ancestry, and you had to drink from the rusted water fountain and board the back of the bus.

This is a good definition of black to go by. Do you guys think Obama is?

He's black enough for it to matter where it counts.

No such thing. Nothing about racial alignment matters in any such fashion where it's relevant to the person's character or abilities. It just doesn't, you can sit here and blither on about genetics, but at the end of the day, the person is to be judged on his actions, not on the colour of his skin.

I've had my suspicions for several years now, but nothing yet to confirm them. Still. It's a nagging feeling that I just can't shake. What does everyone else think?[/Quote] Why does the color of his skin even matter? :xp:

Also, Obama can only be black if god exists.
Which god?

No such thing. Nothing about racial alignment matters in any such fashion where it's relevant to the person's character or abilities. It just doesn't, you can sit here and blither on about genetics, but at the end of the day, the person is to be judged on his actions, not on the colour of his skin.

Thank you! I've been trying to tell people I know that all the time but they don't listen.

Being Black or white makes no difference. Its what you do. Often we judge people by color based on the actions of a few. We see one gangster black and think they are all like that.

And he is half black. Not that it matters in the slightest.

When the human genome was mapped it was quickly asserted to put the final word on a century long Eugenics argument. It plainly displayed there is as much genetic variation within any cultural or regional organisation as there is outside the group even where development was isolated, due to common ancestors. It proved once and for all there is no such thing as human races in any genetic sense.

As close as you can get is transient adaptations in a medical sense, which cannot attempt to define races. One person may have more or less resistance to certain illnesses, but is otherwise genetically identical to any other person from anywhere else on the globe.

Subcultures within a nation (ie. social organisations) are entirely preferential and like fashion statements. In African-American terms Vanilla Ice is probably black. In Australia it is the recent mass immigration of Zimbabwe and other African nationals which portray African-American "culture" just like anything you'd see on tv or at a theatre and that's fair enough, if it floats your boat and gives you a sense of identity I'll respect it. Some are really nice fellers (I try not to smirk at all the homie stuff with the thick Zimbabwean accent), though of course some are total jerks and violent criminals, "gangsta rap" is the devotional claim in this case.

The black thing is just fashion sense.

I like Turk's comment on Scrubs,

"Dude, the only difference between dating a black chick and dating a white chick is when she says, 'Does my a$$ look fat in these jeans?' You say, 'Hell yeah!'"

Yeah, well, in an ideal world this is great and all, but the place I live, reality, it doesn't work like this. Ever go to Oakland? I hope you're not white, because you will be judged on the color of your skin. We haven't gotten rid of racism and it's still very present in lots of places.

^^^Yup, been there. Sad too. However, I would think that compton is even scarier. Certainly don't walk alone there and sporting wranglers and a cowboy hat.

@ Thread subject...why does this even matter worth jack-s***?

Flame baiting perhaps? What are you trying to prove, pray tell? :confused:

While we're at it, I guess since I'm not *all* white, I'm not ordained of god either?

Subcultures within a nation (ie. social organisations) are entirely preferential and like fashion statements. In African-American terms Vanilla Ice is probably black. In Australia it is the recent mass immigration of Zimbabwe and other African nationals which portray African-American "culture" just like anything you'd see on tv or at a theatre and that's fair enough, if it floats your boat and gives you a sense of identity I'll respect it. Some are really nice fellers (I try not to smirk at all the homie stuff with the thick Zimbabwean accent), though of course some are total jerks and violent criminals, "gangsta rap" is the devotional claim in this case.

The black thing is just fashion sense.

You know, when white Americans try to say anything like that, everyone else takes what they say and twists it around? That is an excellent distinction you have made, though. It supports it's the notion that it's the character of person that matters. You're preaching to the quire, bro.

And yes, I gathered as much through my experiences too.

I like Turk's comment on Scrubs,

"Dude, the only difference between dating a black chick and dating a white chick is when she says, 'Does my a$$ look fat in these jeans?' You say, 'Hell yeah!'"

I can't resist a little of this as a part time DJMC:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

@ Te Mirdala Mand'alor: Mmm, it shouldn't matter (far as I'm concerned it don't) at all (skin colors), whether God exists. However, some people apparently will try to make an issue out of something by reading more into it than is actually there. Sad, isn't it?

@ Addy and Camo Man 07:

:thmbup1:

Being Black or white (or blood of any other race, for that matter)

makes no difference. Its what you do. Often we judge people by color based on the actions of a few (called hasty generalizations which can extend to so many groups). We see one gangster black and think they are all like that.

And he is half black. Not that it matters in the slightest.

You know what? You're exactly on the money.

Hey Tommycat, I guess since you're Japanese, does that make you an abomination? :lol:

Totenkopf, OMG you have german so you *must* be a nazi!

I should be very afraid since I am part jew in my blood. :smirk2:

Yeah, well, in an ideal world this is great and all, but the place I live, reality, it doesn't work like this. Ever go to Oakland? I hope you're not white, because you will be judged on the color of your skin. We haven't gotten rid of racism and it's still very present in lots of places.

The biggest thing that irritates me about arguments like these is the sheer hypocrisy in them. You can play devil's advocate, say that racism still exists, and base your arguments on social conditions and politics on that fact, but ultimately, you're just being racist and perpetuating the ideology of racism itself. Why? Because the only way that forms of ignorance or hate in society can be changed is by changing the attitudes about them. Genetically, realistically, race doesn't matter; people are not who they are because of the colour of their skin. Does it still matter in society? Maybe, but it actually doesn't matter.

If you continue to allow race to be a factor in our politics or way of thinking, then racism will continue to be an issue. So you can go ahead and point out how it's still part of our lives and how it still matters, but it only matters because you, and so many others like you, continue to think it matters. You want to live in my "ideal world", start thinking like me on this issue, and we'll be one step closer. It's just about that simple.

While not directly related to Obama, there is relevance in another sense:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

So basically what I gather is that if we STFU and stop talking about it, the issue will die--like it'll starve and wither if we don't feed it by paying attention to it.

:carms:

Well, racism is only an issue if people make it an issue. Specifically....when people stop obsessing about what color you are or where you came from and just treat each other like the Golden Rule stipulates, then we'll have made progress. I ain't holding my breath hoping things will change soon, but you gotta start somewhere.

Like how Morgan turned around the month issue on Wallace.

Archived