Home

It's Coming... Set for the Fall!

LordJhredmo

I'm very disappointed in every aspect of this game, including the ridiculous Mon Calamari I've seen around. Not to mention I'll be missing out on the fact that it will not be in PC. The graphics look like a bloody down-grade salad-toss of BFI and BFII.

Adding heroes and concepts from TFU is in really bad taste, in my opinion. I think TFU should be discounted as anything even close to canon. That's being generous in my feelings on it...

I think we may understand why the whole customization idea was a bad one. Seeing these multi-coloured clowns run around is not my idea of a good Star Wars FPS.

Star Wars: New Battlefront Main Page

Star Wars: New Battlefront Project Info

I'll let you guys rip up the rest of it. Enjoy?...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is ridiculous. The quote below just about says it.

Why are they wasting time with this crap? Who really wants to play an FPS on a 4 inch screen? It's just renegade squadron 2.0 because they're too lazy to actually devote the resources towards finishing their games, just starting them and shoving half done releases out the door.

"OMG LA hatez us" is a little ignorant.

That's not what we're saying. We are saying that, in effect, they do not seem to particularly care about what the overall quality of the games that they're churning out, despite what the people who will/would be playing those games want. And no, I'm not just talking about these forums.

"OMG LA hatez us" is a little ignorant. This was probably planned to ship alongside of SWBF3, not instead of it. It looks about as good (appearance-wise) as one could expect from portable systems.

Sorry, Mav, but I don't think anyone here has taken that position on it. And "probably" is a longshot, at best. Though there is a possibility it is still coming, this puts a hold on it. I highly doubt both being released at once...

Also, I really don't think it's very good in appearance, so I have to disagree with you there... Customizable skins has seemed to have the lamest of effects. Pink/green troopers makes no sense. The classic look in BFII makes sense to me, though I hate the 501st immensely (give me unique clones per planet!).

Sorry, Mav, but I don't think anyone here has taken that position on it.

?

What a dick move to make it handheld only. LA seems intent on doing everything in their power to make everyone hate them.

You've gotten a single news release about it and this whole thread condemns it for perceived inadequacies of its predecessor (Renegade Squadron, and it's worth noting that the "customizable" only carries over to the PSP, the DS version uses BF1/2's class system).

Is there really something here you wanted to see out of a handheld game that you're not getting? I really feel like this is one more "oh fiddlesticks, no SWBF3, ergo whine."*

And "probably" is a longshot, at best.

Really? Based on what? Because of the time it takes to develop a game (for any platform), it's not like they could have just thrown this together when they figured that SWBF3 wouldn't make it out the door (up until less than a year ago Free Radical was working on it). It was certainly being developed alongside SWBF3 - and because of that it is very likely that it was planned for a side-by-side release. I don't really see any justification or evidence for what you claim.

*It's worth noting that this bitterness is symptomatic of most posters on this board, though. I hate to pigeonhole people, but 90% of posts are either condescension towards newbies or whining about something in/upcoming in Battlefront.

*It's worth noting that this bitterness is symptomatic of most posters on this board, though. I hate to pigeonhole people, but 90% of posts are either condescension towards spammers and topic necromancers or trying to keep the forums alive with the only topic of conversation you have left: Battlefront III.

Corrected. We may be bitter as bloody gall, but that is an attitude developed after an extended stay on these forums; the attitude did not just pop out of the woodwork. I'm willing to bet that none of us expect you to share our opinions. Perhaps out attitude is just a facade or affectation that keeps us from having to deal with the reality that our voices don't matter at all. But you shouldn't just pop up here once a month to tell us that we're confused, deluded, bitter, and misinformed.

And I'm sorry, but when I have seen better graphics on GameBoy Advance games, I tend to get the idea that they didn't spend a whole lot of time on it.

?

You've gotten a single news release about it and this whole thread condemns it for perceived inadequacies of its predecessor (Renegade Squadron, and it's worth noting that the "customizable" only carries over to the PSP, the DS version uses BF1/2's class system).

Is there really something here you wanted to see out of a handheld game that you're not getting? I really feel like this is one more "oh fiddlesticks, no SWBF3, ergo whine."*

Really? Based on what? Because of the time it takes to develop a game (for any platform), it's not like they could have just thrown this together when they figured that SWBF3 wouldn't make it out the door (up until less than a year ago Free Radical was working on it). It was certainly being developed alongside SWBF3 - and because of that it is very likely that it was planned for a side-by-side release. I don't really see any justification or evidence for what you claim.

*It's worth noting that this bitterness is symptomatic of most posters on this board, though. I hate to pigeonhole people, but 90% of posts are either condescension towards newbies or whining about something in/upcoming in Battlefront.

Regarding your first paragraph... I wouldn't say we "condemned" it, but we certainly made our dislike and distaste in it clear, considering everything that's happened so far. I'm not sure how closely you're following this, but there's a lot going on and this is not a very satisfactory result from the company, as customers and consumers.

Honestly, I don't care which handheld has customization. It's idiotic and just plain stupid as an idea. I don't care if it's on DS or PSP. This is just another let-down to PC gamers anyway, let alone this is nothing more than a lazy piece of junk added to the heap.

In answer to your question, no, there is nothing there I wanted to see out of a handheld video game. I don't even want to see a handheld video game of Battlefront at all. No, it's not "fiddlesticks"... It's "why the big to-do over this all, with the turmoil and all the fuss surrounding it, when it's a complete downgrade pathetic excuse for a Battlefront nonsense.

I'm not claiming anything. Sorry. And yes, they did just throw it together... They added some more heroes (which is something most people here will hate so much they'll laugh), and some colours... This isn't what anyone expected from them. Slap in the face doesn't do this justice. Also, I'd like to know what evidence you have for your (actual) claim that this is a side-by-side.

I love how you can actually make such assertions of the members of this forum and make such accusations. I fail to see your point in it, regardless of the slander.

Also, what are you doing, assuming you're not part of the 90%, on this forum? Complaining about complainers? That's disappointing.

Addendum to bokken's post:

I totally agree with that. I haven't been here long, but I can see how and why the folks here can feel the way they do. One disappointment after another...

I also find it disrespectful that Mav could have the audacity to actually insult the members here and believe what he's saying is somehow contributing in any way, when he's simply making hostilities.

And yes, the graphics are beyond comprehension in their insanely dinky looks. I don't know how anyone can justify that one...

GL/HF, all.

Regarding your first paragraph... I wouldn't say we "condemned" it,

Having not played it, you say:

I'm very disappointed in every aspect of this game

This is ridiculous.

this failware?

It's useless

That is a condemnation in that you're saying - before it's released, and about a week after it's been announced - that it's going to be bad. You simply don't know enough to say more than I don't like what little they've shown. And by your own admission you don't care whether they release handheld versions... so why the ire (which would bring me back to my initial question of "do you all just like to complain?")? It's not like this is eating into:

a) Your wallets

b) LA's contracted-out work on SWBF3 (they don't make these things in-house anymore anyway)

I simply don't see what there is to complain about if you're not interested in a portable game. The whining is just for the sake of posting about something.

I love how you can actually make such assertions of the members of this forum and make such accusations. I fail to see your point in it, regardless of the slander.

I'm willing to back it up with examples, if you want. I'm not out to slander you (or more correctly libel), I'm pointing out what I see as a disappointment - you drive away any potential new posters by acting like jerks by and large and then complain that there's nothing going on. I could have posted something to that effect in almost any thread updated recently but chose to point it out in this one simply because it was the most apparent here.

I also find it disrespectful that Mav could have the audacity to actually insult the members here

Don't play the hurt card. "How dare he insult us," when in fact I'm not calling you names any more than "bitter" and this is the same kind of treatment you dish out in spades to a lot of new posters. Don't dish it out if you're unwilling to take it. Or even better, if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say it at all. The idea that "oh we'll bash all the newbies and that'll straighten 'em right out" - which I've seen written almost verbatim - is a terrible idea and a personal disappointment. That's why I point it out, because I think you're only hurting yourselves and I want to help.

Jhredmo himself was a newbie that we didn't drive away due to his apparent knowledge of forum etiquette. I do not remember whether or not he actually did resurrect any threads or not, but I am sure that we did criticize him. He took that criticism with a grain of salt, improved, and has thus far contributed to the community.

I appreciate that your comments, although taken offensively, were made in neutrality. You have to understand that we cannot properly moderate these forums. On GameToast, you have a very effective method: simply lock the topics. However, nobody cares about these forums anymore, so we simply lock the topics with comments that are both sarcastic and facetious. Topics being locked, albeit crudely, it is up to the newbies whether or not to continue.

My replies are in red.

I simply don't see what there is to complain about if you're not interested in a portable game. The whining is just for the sake of posting about something.

The fact it's obviously not a side-by-side brings the suspicion that any SWBFIII will be delayed, even if it's in the works. And the fact you're whining about our apparent whining (which is a discussion) is even more disappointing, if you are indeed correct.

I'm willing to back it up with examples, if you want. I'm not out to slander you (or more correctly libel), I'm pointing out what I see as a disappointment - you drive away any potential new posters by acting like jerks by and large and then complain that there's nothing going on. I could have posted something to that effect in almost any thread updated recently but chose to point it out in this one simply because it was the most apparent here.

May I some some of the examples you speak of? That's a very presumptuous image you have painted of the posters here. We're all the same, apparently... Then why don't you go ahead and post in every thread? I think that would get better results than a post here and there. Doesn't make much of a point, but rather insulting in that method.

Don't play the hurt card. "How dare he insult us," when in fact I'm not calling you names any more than "bitter" and this is the same kind of treatment you dish out in spades to a lot of new posters. Don't dish it out if you're unwilling to take it. Or even better, if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say it at all. The idea that "oh we'll bash all the newbies and that'll straighten 'em right out" - which I've seen written almost verbatim - is a terrible idea and a personal disappointment. That's why I point it out, because I think you're only hurting yourselves and I want to help.

I don't play cards, so no thank you. I didn't say "how dare" nothing... I don't insult anyone here. Your assumption of this brings more offence to what you're saying. Kindly provide me a quote of myself doing this. If you have nothing good to say, then why are you posting here insulting us while we discuss what we find undesirable about the new game?

Who is bashing "newbies"?... And how is that even relevant? You're not helping by creating a debate, I must say. It's just insulting and hostile.

My replies are in blue.

Jhredmo himself was a newbie that we didn't drive away due to his apparent knowledge of forum etiquette. I do not remember whether or not he actually did resurrect any threads or not, but I am sure that we did criticize him. He took that criticism with a grain of salt, improved, and has thus far contributed to the community.

Yes, I've been a newbie for a while now. I still have yet to grow out of this phase. I have some understanding in how to conduct myself, and I have resurrected a thread last week (it was the most recent topic and I thought it was new. I did delete my posts, though, and yes, I was criticized). I learn from my mistakes and grow from them. I am proud to continue learning from others and myself. Thank you.

I appreciate that your comments, although taken offensively, were made in neutrality. You have to understand that we cannot properly moderate these forums. On GameToast, you have a very effective method: simply lock the topics. However, nobody cares about these forums anymore, so we simply lock the topics with comments that are both sarcastic and facetious. Topics being locked, albeit crudely, it is up to the newbies whether or not to continue.

I've been on the batlefront forum for years and I've seen the dump this place can become. Like Bokken said, GT is a well moderated and intellegent site. Take away the mods except to get rid of adbots and let sit for a few years and you'll have another battlefront section. This place used to be much better because we had things to talk about, but now that the game is old, everything has been discussed to the fullest, I really don't care if some one who is apparently experiencing internet forums for the first time ever has a solution to an issue solved years ago. If they don't want to raise themselves up to the not very high standard of this place, fine by me, better to not have them anyways. I would rather see this place die with class over see is be taken over by idiots who are unaware of the existence of the shift key and barely able to form a complete sentence.

And regarding the game, heres a description

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=8818

Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron's story spans the entire Star Wars saga. Playing as X2, a clone trooper
Not exactly a grunt sounding name but it has possibilities. Moving on to the rest of the paragraph

a clone trooper created from the DNA of a Jedi Master, you joined the rebellion after being told to eliminate Jedi during Order 66. However, your clone brother X1 chooses a dark path, leading to a confrontation that could determine the fate of the Empire and the Rebellion.

What the ****ing hell? A clone trooper... made from Jedi DNA... You determine fate of empire and rebellion...Seriously? What? The reason I enjoy battlefield and battlefront games are because I'm not some steroid abusing, near invincible super soldier who has the fate of the war and universe resting on their massive buff shoulders or massive breasts if the character happens to be female. No, instead I play as a grunt who has allies for more reasons than just something to babysit a few missions and then forget. But aside from that fact that this game should have been called Force Unleashed: Portable, lets move on.

We're told that the battles waged on each front will be affected by your actions, so every shot fired and every enemy defeated can affect the outcome of a battle on another front.
I can tell people massive hyperboles too, if only video game magazines would pay attention to me...

The DS version features class-based gameplay that allows you to equip your characters with pre-determined weapon armaments, including heavy weapons, blasters and lightsabers
Good, lets destroy Star Wars Cannon even more by giving clones lightsabers, and to make this game identical to every other game with jedi, include some other filler weapons that no one actually uses once they can use light sabers

So Mav, look forward to TFU: Elite Squadron as much as you want, this small article has already given me enough reason to know it will be sub par at best.

My replies are in red.

VENT.

:lol:

Listen, fella. I have no desire to roll around in the muck that is e-debate. This isn't about you personally (you seem to be a courteous poster when you're not ruffling your feathers) but it is about what I see on the board (acknowledged in the posts above and below yours).

I'm not going to tell you [this is the impersonal you, just for clarification :indif: ] how to treat people or whether or not you're allowed to whine about most things, I do not have that happy privilege here. I think you're doing more harm than good and whatever your justifications are I don't think they're worth it. If a forum's inactive, it might be best to just let it be. If needs arise for it the crap'll get cleaned out pretty quick.

But I won't wax counselor anymore, I'm not gonna believe that I have one whit of control over how anyone else thinks - I'm just trying to look out for you.

----

As far as the game itself goes, I could care less how the story develops at this point. I don't expect any sort of story out of an action-shooter as long as it's done well. In fact I really don't care what the name "Battlefront" is plastered on as long as the game is fun - it could be an RPG, an action game, whatever.

I'll admit that the story sounds pretty rough, though. Inevitably it's going to play out like any number of stories sandwiched in a time that already has beginning and end plotted - a zero-sum story (both characters will end up killing each other "canonically" or some such nonsense).

So Mav, look forward to TFU: Elite Squadron

To be honest I would if that were the game. I'm not going to get hung up on what it's called.

Good, lets destroy Star Wars Cannon even more by giving clones lightsabers

Now, they didn't say that - be fair now. They could add a Jedi class and not "destroy" anything - although I must admit the loathing some have for melee units in a shooter game baffles me.

I'll be the first to admit if a game ends up disappointing me. But I've had experiences where I haven't been looking forward to a game and then tried it to my delight (and of course the inverse). Because of those I'm not willing to toss a game in the bin until I've given it a fair shake - and no one in this thread seems to be willing to give it that. Just playing devil's advocate.

I agree with Mav for the most part, mainly because he isn’t afraid to state his opinion with the ‘constructive’ criticism he’s going to probably receive, if not already. Though the game does like a bit…’unworthy of getting, I myself would usually try the game first. For a short example LOTR, we all know that game sucked but I at least tried beforehand. Either way, it’d be best to try it simply because if you try it and you’re disappointed, lesson learned. If you don’t try it you’ll never know what you’re messing on anyway. At least he was honest with his opinion, though.

I agree with Mav for the most part, mainly because he isn’t afraid to state his opinion with the ‘constructive’ criticism he’s going to probably receive, if not already.

Going by that reasoning, you could agree with quite a few people who are just plain wrong. Not that Mav is, but agreement mainly due to the fact that he stated his opinion and not with the opinion itself sounds foolish.

And Mav, the loathing of melee units is simply about the unbalance and cheap tactics that they add to multiplayer games, just like many complain about mine and detpack spammers.

True, actually. However, obviously there is a difference between right and wrong. An opinion is what we're all entitled to. I know that if you roll with someone's opinion it COULD be run, but in this case I agree with him because my ideals are similar to his. That's to basically defend your generalization.

Going by that reasoning, you could agree with quite a few people who are just plain wrong. Not that Mav is, but agreement mainly due to the fact that he stated his opinion and not with the opinion itself sounds foolish.

Yeah, there are a lot of people who voice their opinions loudly and are most likely wrong. Using "confidence of the one with an opinion" as a metric isn't the best way to go.

And Mav, the loathing of melee units is simply about the unbalance and cheap tactics that they add to multiplayer games, just like many complain about mine and detpack spammers.

That doesn't mean melee's a bad idea, just like detpacks and mines (as weapons) aren't bad ideas. If the implementation of it feels off that is a correctable problem not a persistent issue.

Archived