Home

Troubles of a unmotivated Songwriter

I (for my band) need to write songs the ones i have written aren't that good and i have no real insporation of motivation for this that is why i think they arent that good anyway if anyone has any advice i would apprreciate having it. and if anyone wants to see my horrible 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th attenpts at writing ill post then on request

I am Nick and I play bass. I decided to play because my cousin plays bass and is in a band (Some Night checkout their myspace) and he was a big influence I was also influenced by Mike Dirnt of Green Day and Mikey and Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance. I have been playing for 1 or 2 years and I have a Dean Bass.

if that's you then stop listening to ****ty music for inspiration

Use words like Dark, Coal, Pitch, Raven, Cold, Blood, Rage, Night, and Black. Oh, and don't forget to reference Death a lot. Following these guidelines you should be able to crank out at least three or four hundred godawful emo/goth songs. You're welcome.

Pick up some books on creative writing, and writing poetry. Also, get a good thesaurus (or consult thesaurus.com) and a good rhyming dictionary. You can find all of these at your local library or bookstore.

In addition, listen to a very broad range of music, from all over the world and all different time periods from classical to present, not just goth/metal from 2008 and later. Listen for the different themes, the complexity of the harmonies, the type of beat they use. The musicians from 300 years ago who were considered the 'great artists' of their day achieved that level for a reason. Your challenge is to find out why and what you can learn from them that you can incorporate into your music. :)

As a writer of songs, I generally just pick something I'm angry about. Then I write about it without making any specific references. when you try to write a song, sometimes it helps to have music in your head. BUT don't listen to anyone else's music while doing it. Come up with a groove. have that groove in your mind. Just start placing sentances on the paper that interconnect on that subject. Take that sheet and use that as notes for the song(note this is not your song yet). Start crossing out the lines that don't fit with the tone you want to convey.

You should really start by telling us the general theme for the band. dark and brooding, light and airy, MOSH metal...

Ha, Bini. I KNEW you'd put up something about Buckethead, haha. Ah, he is a great muso though.

Look, Mandalore, the one thing I've realised is that when you're in a stage where nothing can motivate you, then there's nothing you can do about it. There are times when I pick up my guitar and I will have a polished piece of music by the end of the day. Sometimes however, weeks can go by and I will have NOTHING what so ever. It's just one of those curses.

If the music you listen to now isn't inspiring you, there is nothing wrong with branching out and listening to other artists to get a feel at the different aspects of music. (I myself however stear clear of Country. Do not like it at all!!!) Chemical Romance ain't doing it for ya? Listen to some Nirvana. Not up for some grunge? I recommend listening to the old-school metal bands. Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, and so on.

Chili Peppers and The Living End are also great choices IMO.

You need music to make lyrics live, and you need lyrics to allow music to breathe.

If one of them is not working properly, nothing will come of it.

Be patient. Don't TRY to write the best song ever, or the next greatest riff.

As it is said, however corny it may be: "let the music flow through to your finger tips. Don't push at it otherwise it will become jumbled and confused. And kill itself."

It'll come to you. In time.

To regurgitate another point: you cannot rush the music. It becomes crap then. Impatience = FAIL!

By the way ... what instrument DO you play???

I think you failed to mention that part.

*Looks* .. Yeahp .. ya did :|

Try this exercise. Base player or whatever, pick up an accoustic and just starting making noise. Yell fk fk fk fk fk fk, and be loud. Get it all out of your system and keep saying fk fk fk fk fk. Eventually you'll run out of puff and just notice the way a bird flies past, go with that, let the thoughts roam and try not to concentrate on the fact your strumming should change, just notice it. Say what you feel like talking about. Spies of satan, cute little furry things, whatever comes to mind.

And if you find you're just at a very low energy level then put it away and go do something inspiring. You do have to put into life before expecting something in return, the universe just works that way.

Branch out your music, like what Mr_BFA said, listen to more bands, and also local bands too.

Carry a notepad with you everywhere you go, you'll never know when something will pop into your head, and trust me, you'll be glad you carry a notepad with you.

But most of all, don't sweat, everyone goes through a period like this, it's just one of those things.

I usually carry a notepad and a recorder. Notepad for lyrics, recorder for when I get a song melody in my head. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that bass just plays open E strings. Write down every random thought that pops into your head. You never know when that will make a good lyric.

Absolutely listen to different music styles. As a bassist I recommend listening to some funk. A little Bootsy Collins or just old school grooves will help out your playing and may give you further inspiration on writing songs. I've thrown a little funk bass into some of my songs and people love it.

Archived