Home

The most emotional "scene" of a game. (spoilers abound)

Taak Farst

BloodRayne Series(not much emotional in these, aside from the raging moments where you slash and stab anything stupid enough to attack you):

Jurgen Kills Mynce: Though you supposedly had seen her die twice already, you quickly find out that this time, its truly over for her. That, and it isn't a gun or sword through the chest that kills her. The psychotic bastard RIPS her heart from her chest. Might not be something that one would audibility have to go "Oh My God" when they saw it(as she wasn't really a vital aspect of the game, only acting as a sort of "in the dark" orchestrator), but still a "whoa" scene. Better graphics might have helped it, but I can't really knock the game for that.

Ending Fight BR2 - After the build up at the end of the game, and the reveal that Rayne's father isn't dead as an early cut-scene suggests(in BR2). While it is true that the ending fight isn't spectacular(cliche huge-sword wielding boss, who has a healing blood-pool that both he and the player can use), the line spoken by Rayne when she has one of her blades through his chest, and the other ready to slash his head off, does sort of tell you how much anger that has built up within her, because of what he chose to do, not for fun, but for a policy of his.

A few other games that I've played have had emotional moments in them, KOTOR and TSL being the obvious ones. With them, at least for K1, I almost knew the character was Revan(half because I was told such, and the other because it seemed to just fit if the player character was).

Some others, like Fable, had an interesting plot, nice level design and such. But even as the game gives you a "choice" ending, similar to KOTOR, they really aren't as dramatic in the long run. In Fable, you chose between throwing away the Sword of Aeons(Light or Good), or killing your sister to let the sword remain in your possession(evil, obviously). KOTOR does present you with almost similar things, but the implications in it, namely if the dark side path is chosen, are far greater. Even though Fable does give the player the idea that their character goes on to become a evil king of sorts, it doesn't have the same impact as visibly seeing what could be considered a "Crowning" ceremony, and then a massive fleet of ships rolling forth to assure dominance throughout the galaxy, in K1.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Planescape: Torment

Saying goodbye to Mebbeth/Ravel* was pretty moving. Reminded me of Yoda dying in RotJ.

* This scene is surprisingly easy to miss. To trigger it, learn to be a mage from Mebbeth. Visit her again once you're done with Carceri and you'll be able to share some last words with Ravel. Although she's been killed, it takes her creations across the planes extra time to die.

That made me sniffle a bit. :(

Yeah, yeah, Kotor II council scene... masters try to take the Force from you, they tell you you're evil... I really found this scene the most emotional in a game, but even more so in the fan fiction 'Return from Exile' written by Machievelli. He captured the pieces of the scene that were lacking in the game to a great extent, which is why I found that scene to be the most emotional in a game.

In Planescape: Torment

Saying goodbye to Mebbeth/Ravel* was pretty moving. Reminded me of Yoda dying in RotJ.

* This scene is surprisingly easy to miss. To trigger it, learn to be a mage from Mebbeth. Visit her again once you're done with Carceri and you'll be able to share some last words with Ravel. Although she's been killed, it takes her creations across the planes extra time to die.

That made me sniffle a bit. :(

I missed that one. I'll have to remember that for my next playthrough.

I was going to say losing a game in Madden is emotional...but I didn't think that would float with you guys...

These are prob. the top for me...

The last several minutes of Halo 3 were really emotional because it was the ending of the trilogy and the spartan that we all knew and loved. (Leaving Cortana behind in Halo 2 was pretty emotional as well)

The ending of Grim Fandango was heartbreaking b/c it was the best game/characters and it was coming to an end...(only game I've started tearing up for)

I found the ending of Zelda: Windwaker to be emotional as well...

In Metal Gear Solid when Gray Fox fought Metal Gear Rex was pretty emotional. The best part was when he gave an awesome speech before getting crushed under Rex's foot.

Another thing has to be when I found out my princess was in another castle. I mean that's the most tear jerking thing ever. I just stepped on an army of Goombas, and destroyed all those Koopas. What's my reward for it, a little pale stoner smurf pops out and tells me to look elsewhere. Where was he in the beginning of the level with that info?

The scene in Half-Life 2 - Episode Two, where Eli dies is pretty sad. It's like the only death in the whole series that's actually mourned by anyone.

The scene in Lord of the Rings Online, when the players are forced to kill Amdir, their rescuer, after he has completely turned into a Wraith.

Rurik's "deaths" in Guild Wars: Prophecies

Probably when you go to the Jedi Council in KotOR 2(Light side). Just walking in the places you walked during KotOR 1 was pretty . . . overwhelming, considering it took me five years to beat the first game (eh, don't judge me . . . i got it when i was eight years old and it was my first video game) I played it so much.

But what really made it emotional was the music.

• 4 weeks later...
In The Godfather, when someone kidnaps your character's girlfriend and kills her. Forgot the specifics.

You mean Monk's sister, Frankie. Well, that's mine too. I mean, after her death, I started killing sencelessly. I'd kill 500 in a building without realising. I was shook by her death. Really emotional moment.

Also, that's what caused me to execute Don Barzini with a molotov. Must have been hot.

The most powerful scene I think I've experienced in a game was surely with Deionarra's stone in the private sensorium, in Planescape: Torment. The words "moving" and "horrifying" seem equally apposite, and it's a perfect example of why horror and gore are not the same thing.

If you've played the game, you know why and it needs no explanation; if you haven't, I'm not going to spoil the experience for you, but will simply tell you to play the game as soon as possible.

-Ending scenes in TFU LS version (especially when Galen and Juyo kiss :cry6:)

-Tomb Raider Legend end clip (and a few others in the game)

-Tomb Raider Underworld (absolutely everything--but especially in the end level and the DLC, Lara's Shadow)

The LS council scene in TSL, when I first played it--made me wish I'd gone DS -_---but since then, it's just been *yawn* 'Heard it, heard it...skip it...gimme Force Crush already...' (I've been DS ever since the first playthrough. ;))

The Jedi council scene in K2. Also, the climax scene was well done as well, with Kreia predicting future events in a philosophical matter. I thought Chris Avellone and the rest of Obsidian Entertainment wrote and designed these scenes with great depth and complexity.

Another scene I would like to point out is the intro and ending of Splinter Cell Double Agent original X-Box version. Not the 360, PS3, or PC version of the game. The first time you see Sam Fisher, you automatically know he's in great depression.

It just feels like a more personal story this time around, with Enrica dying at the end and his daughter's death in the beginning. These plot events were never foreshadowed in the previous games and the very first time when I played D.A, I wasn't expecting a tragic story like this. It just felt... shocking and disarming. Especially at the end. At first I thought the death of his daughter was stupid, being killed by a drunk driver, and all, but when I heard that in Convictions that her death wasn't an accident, I realized that they set up the stages from the beginning of Double Agent, all the way to the previews of Convictions.

I wonder how the plot will unfold...

• 2 months later...

I could never be evil in either KotOR games. The most emotional part was watching my dad ruthlessly Mission and Big Z. (Sniffle)

Oh Yes, the Jedi Enclave on Dantooine in TSL. That Music man! Just hearing it brings me close to tears. It is the music in the game that says, "Kreia left you. She killed the remaining Jedi. It's all over now. You've reached the end of your long hard road."

DO YOU HAVE TO KILL ASHLEY OR KAIDEN?! I have just starded my first play through of of it, and I don't want to kill them!

EDIT: I just remembered one. The Good Guy end to BioShock. So heartwarming.

JuniorModder

When Navi leaves you in Zelda Ocarina of Time

Another one is in the climax of Myst 3: Exile, when Saavedro comes towards you speaking angrily, and it feels like he's looking out of your screen right at you. That was freaky.

Must agree with both of these, especially concerning Myst 3. Personally I think that feeling could be extended to the majority of the series (1-4).

both of them are useless wrex/garrus krew 4 lyfe bitches

Definitely, I never really used Kaiden or Ashley much at all.

Other than some that have already been mentioned, I'd like to throw one into the ball game.

Final Fantasy 7. (Obviously spoilers follow.)

The death of Aeris at the hands of Sephiroth.

For most, this is due to the fact she is the 'romance' element in the game, (although I always personally preferred Tifa, in the respect that I choose all dialog options linking the two, however the game still chooses Aeris), but also the fact that other than the main character, she is probably the strongest person on your team.

You said emotional, not sad or depressing, so I'm going to have to pick the ending to Legends of Rock. You just thrashed out the Devil, and after he's thrown into oblivion your band gets motorbikes with bat wings to fly out of hell. But after the scene plays the game loads up the credits...seems that you chose to stay and on a mountain of speakers you get to play the bonus song Through the Fires and Flames. That would have to be one of the big 'hell jeah' moments in gaming.

Archived