Home

Monkey Island: Special Edition OFFICIAL!

spiralout

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I've had time to watch the videos and learn more about the new Special Edition. Amazingly, these guys appear to have done a damned stellar job. The voice-acting seems spot-on, the backgrounds are absolutely faithful, the music seems sweet. Generally the type of job I would have done myself if I'd have the money to hire a boatload of talented artists and programmers to do all the work for me.

There is one small flaw, however...

fckhead.jpg

Dear lord god almighty... No. Who is this ****wit? Somewhere along the line somebody mixed up "guileless" with Guile. There isn't an ounce of charm within this character... He is NOT Guybrush.

Compare with the easy-going charm of Guybrush from CMI. Just looking at him can't help raise a smile...

guybrush.jpg

This is what happens when nostalgia conflicts with reason. Even if it does look a bit off to series purists, we must acknowledge that the Lucasartisan lords have done no small thing in granting us this boon. Admittedly, the art direction would have done better following different schema, but that is a small price to pay. I know I'm grateful.

The new trailer for MI-remake (the 2d one) on the official site did only "meh" me. But this dialog scene at gametrailers.com gave me that old Monkey Island atmosphere again. Sweet! :-)

I thought those days of experiencing the "old lec atmosphere" were lost and forgotten. Im glad they arent!* :-)

*Im kinda assuming how the whole game will be like from a 1 min scene. So what? :-) Im a MI fanboy heh.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-the-secret/50120?type=flv

Edit: Btw: Hi! Been a long time since I visited & posted here.

Idc how he looks...Lucasarts has won my vote on this idea...

So glad they finally decided to do something that all of us can truly appreciate as fans...

I agree with this, though I also agree that Guybrush looks wrong. Everything else is pretty much amazing, though, and I'm just jizzed that we're getting this SE at all!

And yeah, you can switch back to classic mode, which is a really appreciated feature.

Please Lucas Arts, PLEASE... You are so close here. Everything except Guybrush looks amazing. I love the art style apart from him, a perfect balance between realistic and surreal. I love that SCUMM Bar background. That just looks gorgeous.

Just soften Guybrush's features and get the gel out of his hair.... please... Take the cues from Purcell's SOMI Box art - he should look innocent and curious. Unfortunately, at the moment, he looks creepy.

Everything else looks fantastic. I am psyched for this. And to be honest, I wish Telltale had gone for an art style like this as well - the vibe I'm getting from them is very EMI...

Really, I know people have an invested memory to uphold (or some ****), but this remake is more about attracing a new audience than appeasing aged fanboys. They even gave us the original graphics for the purists.

I know there's a 'vocal minority' effect, but the moaning I'm seeing re; this game (and the Telltale ones) astounds me.

Bring back Jim Ward and preserve the sanctity of the brand by ignoring it? Whatever. I'm bloody amazed, astounded and loving it.

I CANNOT live with THAT head for Guybrush. It's simply NOT him: Guybrush is sweet, loveable, innocent... None of those characteristics are captured by the new model.

I certainly agree that Guybrush looks a bit dodge, but when you think of how much worse it could have been I don't think we can really complain. In fact we should be grateful that we've got this at all.

This game is a good thing (it even has the old graphics if the new ones offend you so much) and we need to support it if we want encourage LA to be more respectful of it's back catalogue.

That does make a big difference, and looks a lot better...

...but I also feel as if we've just been invited into [insert attractive person's name here]'s room for champagne and cuddles, but we're feeling annoyed that they have a wart on their bottom.

I mean, the wart does make a big difference, but come on... it's been a while...

And we're so lonely.

That does make a big difference, and looks a lot better...

...but I also feel as if we've just been invited into [insert attractive person's name here]'s room for champagne and cuddles, but we're feeling annoyed that they have a wart on their bottom.

I mean, the wart does make a big difference, but come on... it's been a while...

And we're so lonely.

I know what you mean, and there is certinally a lot to like. And I really do like the look they've gone for overall. I love that it's 2D as well. I much prefer this to the Tales of MI 3D look in fact. I am curious to see how they handle the story and puzzles, but TOMI's visual approach does not engage me.

SOMI:SE however, looks to be so close. The backgrounds (SCUMM BAR, with all the docked ships in the background... just beautiful), the other characters, the music (can't wait for a soundtrack of this).

But... man.... Guybrush...

This is one think I always wanted to happen. I never understood why they released talkies of Loom and Indy4 but not for Monkey Island. Also the music faithfully played by real musicians is awesome.

The narrator reminds me of Al Lowe.
I'm sure there wil be a sprite mod or two before long, given it appears to run on Scumm.
As long as it won't be DRM infected.

SOMI:SE however, looks to be so close. The backgrounds (SCUMM BAR, with all the docked ships in the background... just beautiful), the other characters, the music (can't wait for a soundtrack of this).

But... man.... Guybrush...

Absolutely. Hell, his posture isn't perfect and the animation looks dodgy... but I can live with that, no problem. The rest looks perfect, too. There's so many great things -- but I CANNOT live with THAT head. It's MASSIVELY important, even if it's just one tiny thing... Like I said before, it's like casting Joe Turkel as Indiana Jones. It's THAT important.

indiana-jones.jpgblade-runner-blade-runner-15-09-1982-25-06-1982-69-g.jpg

Even from a financial point of view... Guybrush has to be likeable! A new audience isn't going to identify with the Hitler Youth they've given us instead of Guybrush... That might mean we won't see MI2 and it means LucasArts won't get as many sales.

I LOVE this new version (from what I've seen). It's amazing. Just change the HEAD on the MAIN SPRITE! (I can live with the close-ups.) That's all I ask!

Have you emailed LucasArts about this? Because you can preach to the choir all you want, but unless they're actually made aware of the discontent clearly nothing's going to change (not that it's likely to do so anyway).

I do think it's mental they settled upon that design, to clarify.

I'd be pretty shocked if LA weren't reading these threads to be honest. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but I imagine they'll want to gauge the fan reaction to the announcement and, well, Mojo is the place to do that.

Anyone with access to the IP logs care to take a look?

No, no LA heard about the idea of the speech projects. Or maybe they come to their senses!

I´m also curious if LA would make new adventures. It comes to a big Competitive struggle between LA, TTG and Autumn Moon... :D

Jim Wards 2015... Anyone remember? :)

Archived