Home

Monkey Island: Special Edition OFFICIAL!

spiralout

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little bit off-topic.

To the graphics:

Geographically seen Monkey Island and Melee Island in MI 1 are very good. I love that! Better than MI 2. CMI is great too!

And I think Melee is in MI 1 more extravagant than in EMI! What do you think?

Lechuck sounds like he's supposed to in this segment. Telltale might want to have Earl Boen go and listen to all of his dialog from CMI and EMI, so it sounds right.

I'm going to go ahead and shoot Lucasarts an email. Enough constructive criticism might have them change their minds. Heaven knows our sheer willpower didn't make them greenlight this, I'd say it had something to do with 9 years of us bitching about them. Though in this case its best to be polite as they've just done us a good turn.

Lechuck sounds like he's supposed to in this segment. Telltale might want to have Earl Boen go and listen to all of his dialog from CMI and EMI, so it sounds right.

Is that actually Earl Boen in the Telltale trailer?

Is that actually Earl Boen in the Telltale trailer?

It's a joint project so I'll bet it is, also I kind of think it sounds like him, just a few octaves higher, and not quite the right speech pattern. The SOMI video several posts up has to be him.

Regarding the Special Edition:

Like others, I am also dissatisfied with Guybrush, but it's not too bad. It's the walking animation that really needs some work. It looks like he's walking on ice. Has LA forgotten how to animate 2D sprites?

Like others, I am also dissatisfied with Guybrush, but it's not too bad. It's the walking animation that really needs some work. It looks like he's walking on ice. Has LA forgotten how to animate 2D sprites?

CMI was pretty guilty of this too, I could easily overlook it though.

I found the segue voice over a bit jarring - it was delivered with a knowing nudge-nudge wink-wink whereas I always imagined it to be a bit more earnest.

I know what you mean. I would have preferred straight storytelling. The humor from the game is more than apparent without hamming it up. Sometimes the best humor comes when you treat the subject seriously.

Have you emailed LucasArts about this? Because you can preach to the choir all you want, but unless they're actually made aware of the discontent clearly nothing's going to change (not that it's likely to do so anyway).

I do think it's mental they settled upon that design, to clarify.

I would like to email them, but all I can find on their website is a postal address. I live in Australia, so I'd prefer to email them if I can... has anyone got an email address?

Okay... I've slept on this... I really like a lot of what we're getting. I agree with what you guys are saying about the walking animation being off - and it's funny because in the videos where they switch between new and old, they got it right in the original game!

But overall I really like the art style they went for. Except for Guybrush.

Elaine, LeChuck, Bob... everyone else is great.

But...

guybrush_se.jpg

Are they serious?

EDIT:

Okay guys, I know this is bad. But I find it easier to communicate in visuals than words. I am no Photoshop expert, but I had a crack at reforming Guybrush using the liquify tool into something more like what I was thinking.

Again, I know this is bad. I don't want him to look like this. But I do think he should look MORE like this than he currently does. I think they need to round and soften his features, so he gets back some of the wide-eyed wonder that is Guybrush.

At the moment, he looks like slick and confident... which is definitely not Guybrush in SOMI. And he just doesn't look very appealing.

guybrushmockup3.jpg

It's a joint project so I'll bet it is

I don't think so. It's definitely him in the SE but there's no mention of him on the Telltale site. LeChuck doesn't have that many lines in SOMI and they could probably get them done in one or two recording sessions but a whole season would require loads of sessions. As a fairly well known and in demand actor they probably can't afford his fee for that much work.

That said, the voice in the Telltale games is a decent approximation.

I'm still hoping it's a placeholder.

While I think I can live with the new voice, I think Earl Boen had it nailed.

I think this one doesn't sound half as menacing as Boen, and he's too raspy.

And from the trailer it sounds as he delivers his jokes too much. Geekwood!

Oh, and am I right in hearing Rob Paulsen as the voice of Bob in the SOMI:SE movie? I think he's a great voice actor!

Oh, I certainly hope it wíll be him in the final version!

It'll just make things complete! :D

Plus, although I love Telltale and all their efforts, their casting has never been close to Lucasarts'.

I'd hate to have all these great voices back, and then listen to a second hand LeChuck.

Archived