Home

Monkey Island: Special Edition OFFICIAL!

spiralout

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you serious? It was a light-hearted comment in response to urluckyday's similarly light-hearted comment that was aimed at myself as much as anyone else, seeing as I too said I don't like his new look and even did a quick mock-up of an alternative.

Don't be such a sour puss just because I had the gall to make an administrative decision. And no, I am under absolutely no obligation to stay neutral and out of arguments. :)

My apologies, Thrik. I wish you hadn't merged my thread, though... The whole conversation has completely petered out now, which is kind of annoying.

I'm hoping we'll be able to hack SOMI:SE so that everyone can get the "version" they want, even if LA don't decide to take action on the hair issue.

My first reaction to this announcment was, "OMFG YESS! At last, now make Monkey 5". Followed by "OMFG YES MONKEY 5 AT Last!" (referring to Tales).

Then I saw the poster artwork and my second reaction was "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH GUYBRUSH'S HAIR?!!".

However I do not have the same problem with the sprite many of you seem to loath. Sure the basin cut is pretty ugly. But I think he looks like a lovable dork, while many of you think he looks unlikable!?

Yes I would prefer his hair was closer to the original style and the COMI style too, but I don't have a huge problem with the sprite at all. And when hearing the great voice over with the sprite he feels like Guybrush to me. And while I'm not overly fond of the hair in the closeups, it looks ok.

Gotta say the above mockup looks better though, and so does the concept art. And if there is a chance they can change it before release, then my vote is a BIG YES. Please LA, if you have time to make his hair a little closer to the original style and less of the basin cut with giant fringe, PLEASE DO!

Hate that poster hair too! Why the hell didn't they get Steve Purcell to do the new cover? Sure the rest of it is OK (besides Guybrush's ten feet tall hair), but it would have been WAY COOLER had Purcell done a new version.

Well besides the sprite's hair, I think it's tremendously harmed by that weird face. It's certainly much more appealing in close ups, but for some reason he looks corpse like and not anywhere naive like in the original game.

The cover is neat, besides Guybrush's stupid head, but what sort of bothers me more is they changed his expression to cocky, while Steve Purcell's original painting had a look of being overwhelmed to the point of fearful. The new 'tude expression is a lazy and trendy thing going on right now that amateur artists/animators use to quickly give their characters personality and create assymetry in the face. This is Monkey Island though, Guybrush doesn't need his eyebrow raised over an uneven smirk like he's in a Dreamworks movie.

Well besides the sprite's hair, I think it's tremendously harmed by that weird face. It's certainly much more appealing in close ups, but for some reason he looks corpse like and not anywhere naive like in the original game.

The cover is neat, besides Guybrush's stupid head, but what sort of bothers me more is they changed his expression to cocky, while Steve Purcell's original painting had a look of being overwhelmed to the point of fearful. The new 'tude expression is a lazy and trendy thing going on right now that amateur artists/animators use to quickly give their characters personality and create assymetry in the face. This is Monkey Island though, Guybrush doesn't need his eyebrow raised over an uneven smirk like he's in a Dreamworks movie.

I disagree with you on the sprite, I like it. In fact the more I look at him the more I like him. Sure the hair is a little silly but he looks like a lovable dork to me, the face front on look makes me smile! He looks confused and afraid...

Which IS the way he should look on the cover art. I agree 100% on that. I have no problem with Guybrush's face on the cover, just his hair and expression.

Wish Steve ahd done the new cover. At least he's doing a Tales of Monkey Island cover.

I can accept Guybrush's hair in the close ups, but I HATE the hair in the sprite. It's like buying a beautiful house with a beautiful garden, but with screaming crazy old ladies built into the walls. Everywhere you walk around, it's there, screaming at you! Ok, I may be exaggerating a bit, but I just don't like it.

I'm hoping someone here are ready to find a way to fix the sprites when the game comes out, so I don't have to wait too long to play it. I would be grateful. I guess someone will find ways of combining elements of the new version (voice, music) with the old version too? After all, it's a scumm game, probably shouldn't be too hard? :)

Archived