Home

Incredible new Star Wars: The Old Repbulic Cinematic

News

Wow. That was damn good. I'm not usually a big fan of slow motion, but the parts they implemented it in were pretty sweet.

What I don't understand is why they feel the need to throw Clone Wars **** at us for the thousandth time when they could be making a TV series (with this kind of animation) set in the Old Republic era.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was an amazing Teaser, so much so I feel I must dedicate my Life to avenging that Brave Jedi Warrior.

My Only criticism is that it is not the game, an amazing feat of design and action, but not what we'll be playing... But we already know that, great cinematic A+

I thought it was an amazing Teaser, so much so I feel I must dedicate my Life to avenging that Brave Jedi Warrior.

I felt quite the opposite - I wanted to play part of that Sith group attacking the Temple! :lol:

Y'know, if Lucas really has to make CGI features, they should look like that. And have the same sort of plot.

Well, considering, LucasArts approved both games, I'm not surprised about that, per say.

I was referring to the point that most of TSL seemed to have been ignored in the timeline and whatnot, despite any LucasApproval. ;)

I was pretty stunned by this trailer.... I think it stole the show, so far. EA completely tore it up with their line up coming out. This game looks sweet. It kind of feels cool that you will be able to write your own unique story with your own character or characters... Cannot wait for this one.

Dang... If the clone wars had near this much attention and effort put into it, meybe a lot of the criticism's about art would never have happened. Darn pretty. I hope the game comes out near that level of pretty. VERY cool action sequences. Gotta say the T3 droid must have some significance. Seeing as how it seemed kinda thrown in there...

Who cares about music taken from TSL or the Prequels?
I do.

Who cares about similarities with the Clone Wars?
I do.

Who gives a rat's ass about recycled voice actors?
I do.

Who cares about ships looking like Imperial ones?
I do.

Who cares if it's not a gameplay trailer?
Meh, not so much.

I thought the voice acting in the KOTOR games wasn't too bad. It wasn't great, but it wasn't like Oblivion crappy voices. I would like some good voice acting, but that cost a ton of money to get good actors.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I thought the voice-actors in KotOR were good. But Sbarge and Hale (+others) are being used all over the place. It's time for something else.

George Lucas has repeatedly said that Anakin Skywalker was the "most gifted force user ever".

Sure, but we know as a kid he was irritating. As a teen he was worse, and as an adult I wanted him to die. It's only when he became Darth Vader from Ep IV to VI that he was awesome.

Revan has been awesome since the day he was born.

And I think he could kick Darth Vader's ass in a fight. He has the ability for force Lightning, something Vader didn't have, and what he succumbed to.

Anyway, when is this game coming out?

It was a big epic cutscene that drowns in Bioware's apparent need for everything to be cooler than the movies but still recognizable as "iconic and Star Warsy", which means ripping off previously-existing designs for absolutely everything (a factor that it would have been no less than three times as cool had it been excised).

In any case, the next time a fanboy tells me how brilliant Revan was and how he always won in the end, I can point to this cutscene and say "nice job protecting us, Revan."

Did anyone download it and watch it in full 1280 by 720 HD resolution, yet with 5.1 Surround Sound? It's like a three and a half minute movie!

It was a big epic cutscene that drowns in Bioware's apparent need for everything to be cooler than the movies but still recognizable as "iconic and Star Warsy", which means ripping off previously-existing designs for absolutely everything (a factor that it would have been no less than three times as cool had it been excised).

In any case, the next time a fanboy tells me how brilliant Revan was and how he always won in the end, I can point to this cutscene and say "nice job protecting us, Revan."

Yeah, good point I think, this gives us a hint that Revan was brutally killed when he sought out the Sith Empire before the beginning of TSL.

I have to admit, some of the words I had for TOR before weren't very kind, and now, if they were to change this into an SPRPG, than I would definitely play it. Hell, I'd even play it even if it stayed an MMO, if I could afford the charge (if they are doing it, I haven't heard if they were or weren't. I didn't pay attention to TOR's updates and news that much)

And I did also notice the eerie resemblance the Dark Jedi had to Revan, at least in mask. I wonder what it means.

I do.

I do.

I do.

I do.

Meh, not so much.

Missed the point eh?

I took every little nitpick that were posted, because that's what it was. A stunning teaser is made and people find little pointless details to whine about. What are we? The Trekkies who complained about the new movie because it was a good and full of action?

I thought Star Wars fans were beyond crap like that.

Missed the point eh?

I took every little nitpick that were posted, because that's what it was. A stunning teaser is made and people find little pointless details to whine about. What are we? The Trekkies who complained about the new movie because it was a good and full of action?

I thought Star Wars fans were beyond crap like that.

The problem isn't with the movie itself, which was great. It's that all these little elements confirms the direction they're taking with this thing, which is a Clone Wars-PT-OT kind of setting. Of course, if those Star Destroyers, Tie Fighters, Darth Vader's and such aren't in the game, I won't be complaining. But I'll tell you something: I think they will.

And I did also notice the eerie resemblance the Dark Jedi had to Revan, at least in mask. I wonder what it means.

I don't think it has anything to do with Revan at all. It's only another bond between this game and the KotOR series, specifically aimed at Revan fanboys who are pissed that you don't get to play as him.

I took every little nitpick that were posted, because that's what it was. A stunning teaser is made and people find little pointless details to whine about.

I would hardly call this cinematic anything approaching "stunning", because it's just a cinematic. It doesn't say jack about the game itself. Therefore, any criticism of the cinematic is as valid as any other opinion. All your doing is saying that since a criticism is a "nitpick", then that somehow affects the truth of the statement.

What are we? The Trekkies who complained about the new movie because it was a good and full of action? I thought Star Wars fans were beyond crap like that.

What exactly is the relation between the two subjects?

I don't think it has anything to do with Revan at all. It's only another bond between this game and the KotOR series, specifically aimed at Revan fanboys who are pissed that you don't get to play as him.

Most likely. It's a smaller symptom of their overall need to have things look like Star Wars, which is only a bad thing when they try too bloody hard. Neither KotOR games suffered from this problem.

So what? There were only two really bad things about the Prequels when it comes down to it:

1) The characters and their actors: It was as if Lucas was going for the worst combination possible. Everyone but Palpatine in those movies were morons and completely uninteresting.

2) The story: Completely unbelievable. The Jedi had "please kill us with a RED lightsaber sign" on their temple the entire time and both the Republic and Anakin switched allegiances just because Palpatine says something.

Yet the appearance and style of the Prequels is definitely preferable to the Old Trilogy. Much more futuristic. What I am seeing in this MMO is the perfect hybrid of KOTOR and Prequel art. I am frankly glad that the Republic trooper looks like a clone 'cause I'd take a clone over KOTOR's Republic redshirts any day.

And the music is great. John Willians is a master of sound. I'm hoping, however, that any KOTOR/TSL music is purely KOTOR, since TSL's soundtrack mostly sucked.

As for the Sith Lord with the partial Vader outfit...why not? It'd help to have some armor here and there that doesn't make Vader's outfit so outlandish. When his suit appeared in ROTS (pun intended :D ), it look very outdated and really did not fit at all with his surrounds.

The only thing I am worried at all about with this MMO is balancing the Jedi and Sith out. Historically, the Sith kick Jedi *** all the time, and are barely stopped by some overpowered dude at the end of the story (Luke, Revan, Jaden, Cade, Exile, Kyle, etc.). Common Jedi (not just PC Jedi mind you since a good player can make any PC kick***) will need to get a good boost in power and perhaps abilities Sith PCs can not use period.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone is realizing how much this MMO is a revolution in the nature of Star Wars. The general sequence is that young man/woman gets uber powerful and saves the Jedi/Republic/Rebels/cute bunny rabbits from the nasty Sith/Empire/Sith Empire/supervillain with terminal laughing disorder just in time to walk away with the romantic interest into the sunset. In KOTOR they did a particularly good job of it, and in TSL they made it into more of a personal epic (though they left all the game's guts out :p ). This MMO lets everyone have their own personal epic in an awesome Star Wars environment without impacting the game in such a way that the Sith Emperor dies and the Empire collapses, prompting everyone to fly over to Lehon/Rakata Prime/the Unknown World so Admiral Dodanna gives you the Cross of Glory and some Yoda clone rants at you about the Dark Side for the very last time.

This is where we gamers get to truly be part of the Star Wars universe. The only limitation I see is the super strict LS/DS system of morality that bugs me, but there will be ways to work around that. We can now do our own thing without someone else setting up our story.

So thank you LucasArts/Bioware.

Trekkies whined because the movie wasn't what the show was.

We are whining because this game isn't what the KOTOR series was.

Now do you see the relationship?

I understand what you mean, but the quoted post from lukeiamyourdad wasn't a response to anyone talking about TOR not being "what the KotOR series was".

Archived