Home

Incredible new Star Wars: The Old Repbulic Cinematic

News

What LIAYD means is that the vast majority of people who watch the movie aren't fans, they just want to see pew pew laz0r guns in space, whereas most people on these forums would call themselves Star Wars fans.

On a side note, I prefer to think of the MF/EH naming convention being <unrelated word> <bird>, due to the fact that the Ebon Hawk isn't black and the Millenium Falcon isn't 1000 years old. o_Q

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a side note, I prefer to think of the MF/EH naming convention being <unrelated word> <bird>, due to the fact that the Ebon Hawk isn't black and the Millenium Falcon isn't 1000 years old. o_Q

Whoops.. I got my Ebon mixed up with Eon...

The rest of your post was fine but this kind of stuck out a bit lol, Please refrain from making out I have no idea of "How the World is like", and my only knowledge and experiences of life and Star wars are from this Forum, I was a Star Wars fan for 20+ years before i even knew this Forum existed, and followed the Old Republic era (TOTJ) since 1994.

Carry on good sir/ma'am /rant

What LIAYD means is that the vast majority of people who watch the movie aren't fans, they just want to see pew pew laz0r guns in space, whereas most people on these forums would call themselves Star Wars fans.

I'll add that this forum is heavily biased towards the KotOR world, with dedicated fans and all. My point is that it is not a good indicator of the popularity of the franchise, as such, you cannot know for sure that it is a wise economic choice to please the fans more then the large public of casual folks.

The matter is that, although some KotOR conventions are well known by us, it isn't by the rest of the world.

The wise economic choice is indeed pleasing the larger public. Certain elements need to be recognizable for people to say: "That's Star Wars". But I thought space battles, Force Chokes, blaster bolts, droids, Coruscant, Twi'leks and lightsabers would be enough, next to throwing the Star Wars logo on the box.

An MMO of the caliber that BioWare is trying to make, was going to attract attention anyhow, with an IP like Star Wars backing it up, and showing Jedi and Sith fighting each other, planets being bombarded by lasers and huge space battles overhead. With KotOR, they chose a setting 4,000 years before the movies, because that expanded their freedom in the first place. Now they're going 300 years forward, and all that freedom seems to be lost.

I fail to see how it is lost. Does some design choices for some ships and some characters looking like something that could be in the OT/PT mean a lack of freedom?

When you look at KotOR, forgetting the fact that it says it's 4000 years in the past, can you make a correct estimation of the time it was set in?

To the first question, it is a big no. They are free to construct their story and own world. They just made some design choices that makes some things look physically similar. It leads to the second question.

What makes you believe KotOR looks so different from the OT/PT? There are so many similarities, listing them would take a while.

I think I said it already. People on this forum are overexposed to Star Wars and KotOR, of course when things look similar, it will always be too similar to you, because you see it all the time. The larger crowd won't detect the similarities like we do, nor will they be bothered.

I fail to see how it is lost. Does some design choices for some ships and some characters looking like something that could be in the OT/PT mean a lack of freedom?
Is that a euphemism for saying they basically copied things out of the PT/OT? Because that's the only thing I can conclude from what I've seen. Is it lack of freedom when they have to make designs so similar to the PT/OT because they want to attract a whole variety of people? Yes, I think it is.

When you look at KotOR, forgetting the fact that it says it's 4000 years in the past, can you make a correct estimation of the time it was set in?
I'll ask you a question: if you'd put KotOR, TOR and the Prequels next to each other, and you'd have to estimate their place in time, would TOR be placed closer to KotOR or to the prequels?

I think I said it already. People on this forum are overexposed to Star Wars and KotOR, of course when things look similar, it will always be too similar to you, because you see it all the time. The larger crowd won't detect the similarities like we do, nor will they be bothered.
I don't think you need to be overexposed to Star Wars to notice the differences. I think anyone whose but a fraction interested in Star Wars, knows how a Clonetrooper or Boba Fett looks like, and that's what they're seeig in TOR as well.

knows how a Clonetrooper or Boba Fett looks like, and that's what they're seeig in TOR as well.

And thats why most people will like it, us diehard Kotor fans are less thrilled :)

Though, reading the interview I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

I wouldn't condem the designs straight away by these very few screenshots and trailers.

No doubt the PR department picks out what "sells" best to a large group of gamers. And everybody recognizes a Storm Trooper uniform...

Plus, IIRC, there a point on that timeline thing, you know the little trailers with Hendriksen. One point is dedicated to technologic advances.

Though, it might just be a poor excuse.

Is that a euphemism for saying they basically copied things out of the PT/OT? Because that's the only thing I can conclude from what I've seen. Is it lack of freedom when they have to make designs so similar to the PT/OT because they want to attract a whole variety of people? Yes, I think it is.

Depends on a certain point of view. It could be view as common restrictions of the medium. Having to be creative within set boundaries. I mean...they are making a Star Wars game...there's only so much freedom...

I'll ask you a question: if you'd put KotOR, TOR and the Prequels next to each other, and you'd have to estimate their place in time, would TOR be placed closer to KotOR or to the prequels?

Somewhere in between, but to be honest, from my perspective, closer to the Prequels. However, that doesn't say much...Just as 4000 years in the past allowed Bioware to do whatever they want, storywise, putting it 300 years after KotOR is perfect to let them more freedom. 300 years is a long time...

I don't think you need to be overexposed to Star Wars to notice the differences. I think anyone whose but a fraction interested in Star Wars, knows how a Clonetrooper or Boba Fett looks like, and that's what they're seeig in TOR as well.

Not really. They see similar designs, but nothing totally like clonetroopers or Boba Fett.

It's no different then seeing Sith warships. They kind of look like a predecessor to the Imperial Star Destroyer, but not quite. The same can be said of the new designs.

Like I said, we're overexposed and things that are very common to us aren't to the common folks.

Depends on a certain point of view. It could be view as common restrictions of the medium. Having to be creative within set boundaries. I mean...they are making a Star Wars game...there's only so much freedom...
They had to be creative within the same set of boundaries when they made KotOR. And while you can (rightly) argue that it has a lot of similarities to the movies, it's nothing like TOR.

Somewhere in between, but to be honest, from my perspective, closer to the Prequels. However, that doesn't say much...Just as 4000 years in the past allowed Bioware to do whatever they want, storywise, putting it 300 years after KotOR is perfect to let them more freedom. 300 years is a long time...
300 years is indeed a long time, but 3,500 years is a much longer time, and considering how fast technology seems to evolve in those 300 years, it seems to evolve very in the 3,500 years afterwards. A good example is the Hammerhead-class cruiser: it's used during the Great Sith War, perhaps even earlier. But go 3,000 years into the future, and yes, it's still being used in the New Sith Wars. Which seems strange when everything around it seems to be constantly and rapidly evolving.

Not really. They see similar designs, but nothing totally like clonetroopers or Boba Fett.

It's no different then seeing Sith warships. They kind of look like a predecessor to the Imperial Star Destroyer, but not quite. The same can be said of the new designs.

There's nothing worse for me than to see someone say on a forum: "Yes, I can play as a Stormtrooper!". Most people see how much of a resemblance the designs have to the movie designs. Granted, most don't care (it's easy to determine who do and who don't), but I did see complains not only here, but in different places. BioWare did promise a whole variety of armors and clothing that will appeal to different kinds of gamers. At least it's something, but it doesn't change the fact there are Clonetroopers in my game 3,500 years before they are supposed to be.

Like I said, we're overexposed and things that are very common to us aren't to the common folks.
Well, if there's one thing you made me realize, it's that in this discussion, I'm in the conservative party. I hate conservatives, so I'm a bit in an awkward position. I wasn't around when KotOR was in production, but I'm sure there were people who couldn't understand the leap in technology from the Tales of the Jedi comics to these KotOR games (although there was already a change in art within the comics in its last issues). I'd like to know if they had a change of heart. So, perhaps, it turns out well, anyway. :)

Maybe they're just not creative enough to come up with new ideas for different types of ships. XD

The troopers do bother me though. Especially actually CALLING them troopers. Shouldn't they be like, I dunno, Republic soldiers or something? It just feels kinda like they're saying they're using an older unexplored time line so they can have more freedom but they're going to plug in common modern star wars universe stuff into it anyway.

We've only seen 1 armor set per class at this point.

I suspect this will be the starter armors. People will go like 'Cool I look like Boba Fett' in the character creation screen and play.

Plus, I believe Bioware in their statement they created these pre-alpha characters for the sake of recognisability. And I don't think they're stupid enough to make these armors end-game stuff so you'll have 200 Boba Fetts, 300 Clone Troopers and 400 Revans running around the auction house.

To make an example, World of Warcraft's most legendary hero's their armor isn't available in the game. Only armor with elements of it. You'll never run around like an Arthas. Or Thrall. I think Bioware knows this and won't mess with the Fett/Clone Trooper/Solo look anymore :)

Archived