Home

A Wonderful Possibilty

Nickelstein

I know I'm jumping the bandwagon but I think we're returning to the Prime Of Adventure Games. I mean think about it, all these new adventure games coming out and these companies are starting to flourish because of the adventure genre. I may be a bit too young to remember adventure games when they were in their prime but are we returning to that prime? I mean think about it, Telltale Games has officially tooken up the Monkey Island liscense so that means new Monkey Island games. Monkey Island would have to be the most well known adventure game of all time and now since it is getting a major reboot the adventure genre could be revived. The Tales Of Monkey Island could be the game the sparks the fire of this classic genre. Also Telltale could make a full sequel to CMI (EMI is dead to me) and it could mean the long-coveted Monkey Island 5. Lets hope that these new Monkey Island games can get Lucasarts back into the adventure business!(Full Throttle 2 anyone?) :)

I think XBLA and Episodic gaming has allowed this market to flourish. The fact that these are budget priced titles and offer sooo much entertainment, and nerds like us create such a buzz for them, it allows them to get passed along to a new audience.

I think XBLA and Episodic gaming has allowed this market to flourish. The fact that these are budget priced titles and offer sooo much entertainment, and nerds like us create such a buzz for them, it allows them to get passed along to a new audience.

Well that was certainly an improvement in the adventure game genre but I'm talking about when adventure games would be on the front pages of magazines all the time. I think that this new Monkey Island series could put Telltale Games on the top of the pile! It turns out the use of DLC (downloadable content) has revived this somewhat dead genre.

I think the appeal for adventure games is certainly as strong as it ever was. Looking at the SOMI SE trailer, I was thinking... this is still unusual, to have a game where the main purpose is to tell a story, and to tell that story in an amusing and engaging way. I'm no historian, but I gather that SOMI came on the market when it was full of "get ye flask" RPG type games, and now it's full of "BOOM! Headshot." games (no bad thing, but there are too many of them).

I can see that games that engage us imaginatively can be really appealing -- especially in these credit crunch times! The episodic pricing probably helps as well: it does appear cheaper (even though it works out as about the same).

I think the early-mid 90's were the Golden Age but we're definitely in the middle of a renaissance for adventure games. Between Autumn Moon and Telltale we're spoilt for high quality adventure gaming. Even the non-adventure games from the likes of Schafer and Gilbert have adventure style elements.

This is most certainly a special time for us :D could we call it the Silver Age of adventure gaming?

I find it interesting and fitting that just a month ago 3DR announced that it had to lay off the Duke Nukem Forever team and downsize 3DR to a smaller studio. Effectively killing DNF (even though we don't really know the final outcome yet). Seeing as it was games like Duke3D that ultimately killed the adventure genre in the first place it seems appropriate that in the wake of DNF's death the adventure genre can be reborn.......I'm assuming, of course, that this will open the floodgates of new and memorable adventures again. I mean Monkey Island did it before...it can do it again!

Archived