Home

Golden Sun DS

Mav

Lolno, WRPGs aren't more action-oriented, they allow for a wider range of things to do (observe how you can sneak/talk out of KotOR, Planescape, Deus Ex etc. etc.), while JRPGs require you to fight and progress along a fairly linear story.
I mostly meant in the sense of the combat systems generally being more fast paced in WRPGs, KotOR is queued up hack and slash, ME and Fallout both very 3rd person shooter-like. Whereas again generally most JRPGs are turn-based, think before you act type systems, the traditional use water on fire enemies type deal. I do agree that most WRPGs offer you choice and the story develops with your character, and in JRPGs you are more so reliving the epic journey of a character and his/her path is already chosen. Both are fun, and both offer a different, rewarding experience.

Anyone else think the game requires a title change? 'Golden Sun DS' just doesn't cut it for me.
I hope there is going to be a name change as well, the fact that there is no subtitle to me, implies that they're trying to go with a fresh start for the series, but they figured just calling it Golden Sun would have been confusing.. I don't know though, just guessing.

I mostly meant in the sense of the combat systems generally being more fast paced in WRPGs, KotOR is queued up hack and slash, ME and Fallout both very 3rd person shooter-like. Whereas again generally most JRPGs are turn-based, think before you act type systems, the traditional use water on fire enemies type deal. I do agree that most WRPGs offer you choice and the story develops with your character, and in JRPGs you are more so reliving the epic journey of a character and his/her path is already chosen. Both are fun, and both offer a different, rewarding experience

Of course, they're both great, but it depends on your taste and the game itself, I know plenty of folks who enjoy KotOR as much as I do but express disgust at Japanese RPGs (I think the primary reason is that their knowledge of Japanese RPGs does not extend beyond FFVII+).

I can really only get into JRPG's if great gameplay/story is complimented by great graphics...I don't like game the games if they are at least decent looking...

Know that Golden Sun is not only one of the most beautiful games I've played, it features the most advanced graphics on the GBA ever (not so much on the DS version, but wth).

Archived