Home

E3 2009

IG-64

No prob. I've tried to get into portable games, but I just don't like them. The screen is always way too small, my neck always ends up hurting,
While I suppose it depends on the person, THAT is as good a reason as any.

and the graphics (while catching up quite fast) is set back by years compared to home consoles. Every time I go out, or go on trips or something, I never get a chance to use them because I'm usually too distracted to get into it. I'm that way with MP3 players too: some of the only times I ever use mine are when I go for a walk or go on a trip in a car that's too bumpy for me to enjoy a game in. Plus, I'm rather OCD about battery life, so that's a constant worry for me as well (for some reason.)
Ah, so you're kind of an outgoing soul? (You have already said several indicators that would point to that being the case, if not a 50introvert/50extrovrt odd-ball like me). Plus an OC of any kind...mmm depends but more often than not make everything else just unenjoyable. I can sort of relate.

Besides those admittedly selfish reasons for not liking portables, I just generally don't think the industry should go in that direction as much as it has. I want games to be an experience rather than just a quick fix (and maybe portables are an experience for other people, I don't know). On paper, it seems like portables would make games more like books, and therefore help the experience of it, but I just don't get that feeling. So it kind of frustrates me when I see so many good games being made for them, because I think I would enjoy them more if that effort was put into making games for regular consoles.
Well, I think it takes a bit of a younger crowd to get into it. Earlier in life, generally. One exception which baffles the hell out of me: it does seem like PSP can get people in their late 20s to mid 30s together for a LAN party. Least it's a trend where I lived for a time. Depends on the person.

I guess I never pursued it with fervor just b/c I am kinda slowing down on gaming.

I did enjoy a few of the Pokemon games a lot, but every other portable game I've tried I just haven't been able to get into. :giveup:

Are you into classics or retro? I never cared for pokemon but I liked the older Dragon Warrior/Quest games.

I never really looked at TFU much, and I never played it. I guess it just didn't seem as cool to me as this does.

Seemed relevant to your comment I initially replied to b/c right now SW:TOR has a lot of eye candy and it may end up getting a lot of hype. Like TFU did. I hope the companies involved will be very tight lipped. It'll drive the fans wild, yes, but they also don't run the risk of over hyping and not living up to it. Wouldn't you agree?

Yeah, it's got ****ing ice climbing in it. ICE CLIMBING! IT'S GONNA SET YOUR WORLD ON FIRE!!!1

You like retro gaming, too? :)

I'm pretty disappointed Microsoft isn't putting up some demos on XBox Live.

You actually seem a level-headded kind of guy. Mind telling me your gripes about XBOX live? (Considering what direction to take my tired self in gaming.)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You actually seem a level-headded kind of guy. Mind telling me your gripes about XBOX live? (Considering what direction to take my tired self in gaming.)

I don't really have any gripes about Live. I'm just disappointed Microsoft didn't put up some demos. I remember they put some demos up during TGS, and I think they put some up during last year's E3.

All I see this year is Overlord II. Oh, and Fight Night Round 4 was released just before E3.

Where's Conviction? Prototype? Assassin's Creed? I don't see why they didn't put those up on Live for gold subscribers.

Ah, so you're kind of an outgoing soul?

Actually, while I do like going out I hardly ever do (mostly due to the horrible weather here). I just assume that the reason portables exist is so that you can take video games out with you. Otherwise, can't you just play on consoles?

I don't really have any gripes about Live. I'm just disappointed Microsoft didn't put up some demos. I remember they put some demos up during TGS, and I think they put some up during last year's E3.

All I see this year is Overlord II. Oh, and Fight Night Round 4 was released just before E3.

Where's Conviction? Prototype? Assassin's Creed? I don't see why they didn't put those up on Live for gold subscribers.

Hmm, noted. Needless to say you're no doubt chomping at the bit on any survey for improvements to service. I agree, PR crews DO like to tease (I should know), but there *should* be some definite perks available if you're subscribing to premium levels of service.

@ Microsoft: HINT HINT HINT!

Actually, while I do like going out I hardly ever do (mostly due to the horrible weather here). I just assume that the reason portables exist is so that you can take video games out with you. Otherwise, can't you just play on consoles?

Yea, okay. I gotcha. Well, also there seems to be a major trend in the portability market. That's right, it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$! :dozey: I guess (based on what exp I have managing a business and what little education I have in economics), the reason is that there does seem to be an upwardly rising trend in portable. Currently anyway.

You mentioned portable music players. Or also the insane features on phones that have appeared in the last decade. So it begs the question as to how much this market can be exploited, and to what demographic it can be sold to most.

As for consoles...well, would you believe you can actually make a PC out of an NES? Check the instructables website. ;) (Thank you MIT nerds!) Also you don't need a dead NES, just the casing which can be purchased new from "NES repair shop". Need a pet project, anyone? :D

Portables: Ya wanna see some really insane stuff? Check this out:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/

Referring to the protable NES:

NEVER would have dreamed that NES would become a handheld portable system. It will be interesting to see if it can emulate the games exactly, or if the screens can handle the level of detail of a TV/monitor. Or if the sound engine can compensate either.

Then there is the portable emulator machine...another joy I've yet to look into.

Removal? They were never there. Whenever they had vehicles in a Call of Duty game (#3 and WaW), they sucked ass. Battlefield is a game with vehicles, and CoD is a game not meant to have them. I mean, imagine putting vehicles into Counter Strike or Rainbox Six. It's just absurd.

A mis-type, I meant to say the continued lack of inclusion.

CoD not having vehicles kills it for me - this is the point I'm trying to make. Probably not for you, but for me it is so.

And I'd prefer Rainbow Six WITH vehicles, thank you very much. I think that might be why I never favored them. I prefer the absurd and unusual.

Counter Strike I have never played and will never give it a go. It looks like the most generic FPS I have ever seen.

- PR-0927

Live Facebook and Twitter integration - This seems pointless to me. It's much easier to just hop on the computer for this stuff than have to boot up your xbox and enter into a separate interface

I imagine the point is not to replace the computer at the primary facebook/twitter interface, more to add the capacity for someone who is already using their xbox (especially now that it is getting more and more and more functionality) to check their social networks without having to boot up their laptop (or go into the other room and use it, or whatever).

A good book indeed, I own the series as well. I would agree that the second and third games weren't the most renovating (but the third was revolutionary).

Your continued use of the word 'renovate' angers me because it makes no sense. The word you want to use is innovate. You renovate a room. You innovate in a game. Get it right.

Your continued use of the word 'renovate' angers me because it makes no sense. The word you want to use is innovate. You renovate a room. You innovate in a game. Get it right.

Thanks. I was trying to figure out what he was trying to say and it was giving me a headache.

Honest mistake though. It happens.

No, I mean renovate. Innovating is something brand-spanking-new and well, like a new "invention."

Renovating is like a "redux" or "revamp" of existing material to add a twist to make it a bit better/different/unique. I guess, "re-inventing" would be this, kind of like the iPhone - a new way of having "everything" in one device. A reconstruction, if you will.

IMO, Crysis is a renovating game, not necessarily an innovative one. GoldenEye 007 would be innovative.

My use of the terms wasn't clear enough, but I meant both words.

- PR-0927

I may have just changed my perspective on the L4D2 release after really looking into it. While I still think they should have developed the original more, I now see that they could not have simply released L4D2 as DLC for the original simply because of the sheer amount of new content it offers. They're adding 20 new maps (5x4), 3 new special infected, new weapons, a new weapon class, new characters, zombie dismemberment, a new grenade item, updated textures, and an entirely new game mode.

This completely changes the dynamic of the game, and they can't simply release it in segments as with TF2 because (except for maybe the maps themselves) because it would break the game. For instance, after adding the new weapons and special infected they would have to go back and change the original maps or else they'd suffer from serious balance issues.

I heard that they did say they would eventually like to release the old maps on the new game, but that would probably take a lot of work.

Either way, I now understand why they're releasing this new content as an individual game in and of itself, and I think it is the correct move, but I still feel that they should have developed the original a bit more.

Well considering VALVe has such a great track record of following through on their release dates...

(If you were in diapers in 2003 read the spoilers)

Half-Life 2 was officially announced at E3 2003 where VALVe CEO Gabe Newell claimed it would be ready by SEPTEMBER OF 2003. A few days before this date, it was revealed that the source code for the game was stolen by a hacker. The game was delayed until November 2004. Funnily enough, the hacker that stole the code has claimed that VALVe was nowhere near having the game ready for the September 2003 date, going so far as to say that it was basically unplayable.

Archived