Home

Star Wars: Clone Wars: Republic Heroes

True_Avery

This game has been getting a lot of hate, so here is a preview to let you decide if you truly hate it or not.

First off, this game, as they stated in the interview, was for boys ages 8 to 12 primarily so that may be a turn off right off the bat.

So, basically, I can summarize this entire game as a sort of improved sequel to the Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith movie video game stylized for the Clone Wars television series. If you know what that means, then don't bother reading on if you so choose.

The game is very much like a beat-em-up. You choose either a Jedi Hero from the show, or a non-Jedi Hero. Both play differently in the levels.

The game is a kind of third person, god watch type camera, following you from a distance as you cut or blast through enemies.

The combat is beat-em-up bash em gameplay as a Jedi. The cutting actually looks quite nice, and looked fairly dynamic from what I could make out.

There is also something called Droid Hopping, where you jump ontop of a droid and direct their gun at enemies and shoot them, or you can simply choose to destroy them with the attack button.

Clones and such play a little differently. They use cover, jetpacks, etc to get around while Jedi simply use the Force to move obstacles out of the way. They use blasters and so on, along with thrown grenades.

The map we saw was running through a ship generall screwing stuff up.

The second was a platform minigame where you vs someone else take on a group of droids and try to see how many people can kill more droids.

There is no PVP.

Overall, the game did not look bad. It looked perfect for the age bracket it is aimed at even though it may not have much for the older crowd. All of the shows voice actors are present, the stylization is present, and the gameplay is polished for what it does.

Targeted at boys aged 8-12, eh? So they gave up on the girls in that age range? :p

Well, I dunno. I'm certainly well past my pre-teens but Republic Heroies is being released on PC. I may end up getting it anyway. I'll probably wait until much closer to the game's release date to decide. It may boil down to the controls, meaning if it's just ported from console and not much is done to tailor controls to PC then I doubt Republic Heroes would be worth my time.

Is Prime Jr. old enough to play this yet? :p
I'm afraid not yet, but my daughter recently had her first crack at PacMan and Space Invaders. :)

I'm certainly well past my pre-teens but Republic Heroies is being released on PC. I may end up getting it anyway.
And if it is PC it may be moddable to some degree...

• 3 weeks later...

I never did play the ROTS game, but from watching that gameplay video, I was having MAJOR flashbacks to Jedi Power Battles on the Dreamcast.

Maybe this is what that game was meant to be? It certainly appears to capture the look of the TV show (albeit with more item collecting and static cameras). Of course the theatrical pilot felt a lot like a long cutscene anyway...

Jumping puzzles, well let's just hope for their sake, it's nothing as horrendous as was in TMNT 2 Battle Nexus (yes, you can tell I don't play these type of games much).

The jedi combat seems alot like a fastened Legop star wars fighting the Troopers look very interesting to play though.

The jumping puzzles remind me of Prince of persia but the fact that the jedi can kinda do high jump and look like they can do it simply takes away the amazingness of it.

The jedi combat seems alot like a fastened Legop star wars fighting the Troopers look very interesting to play though.

The jumping puzzles remind me of Prince of persia but the fact that the jedi can kinda do high jump and look like they can do it simply takes away the amazingness of it.

You're right, and the static camera also remindes me of Prince of Persia.

I'm still not so sure about this game, I mean it's a cartoon for Pete's sake!

What's the problem? Being a cartoon is not the same as bad. This series has some pretty good and mature episodes. And the 2003's Clone Wars cartoon was really good too.

Dang, the game looks crap from the video and your description, True_Avery. Seriously. I wonder if there will be a good SW game that emphasizes PVP by using LAN or Internet. Or perhaps make a game that plays like Dota or Demigod. And they really need to boost the Force powers. The Force doesn't look impressive in that video.

Well there are some things I don't like, but there are some what I do like. I don't like that there are "collectables" everywhere. It just makes the game so unrealistic. Another thing is those messages or whatever. They screw up the screen(even if they do it only for secs).

What do I like?

I like the combat, graphics aren't too bad either. What I really like is those "one-liners", like "Let's finish the job!". They make the game more realistic.

The animations are pretty good too.:D

• 3 weeks later...

From

video, which I liked, we can see that the playable characters are:

- Obi-Wan Kenobi

- Anakin Skywalker

- Ashoka Tano

- Mace Windu

- Plo Koon

- Kit Fisto

- Luminara Unduli

- Aayla Secura