Home

Old Jedi order or New Jedi Order?

Fredi

Which of the order's you find the best? The Old Jedi order where we can find Yoda, Vandar, Obi Wan, Nomi Sunrider ect. Or the New Jedi Order where we can find Luke Skywalker, Kol Skywalker, Kyle Katarn Ect.

Which is you're favorite and why?

Well for starters the BBY Jedi Order seemed to have quite a large turn over rate (Jorrus C'Baoth, Dooku, Sora Bulq, Komari Vosa, Anakin Skywalker, etc.)

The New Jedi Order (w/e ABY) had its share of dark jedi, but a good majority of them were converted back to the light-side and or never proclaimed as being "Sith" anyway.

If I had to pick and choose, I'd probably go with the New Jedi order since it has Bringing Sexy Back (Jacen Solo), Tahiri, Ben Skywalker, and Mara Jade.

I know of at best a handful of differences between the two, such as the second Order allowing the Potentium theory which the first Order denounced, and the first Order's banning of marriage, and for the most part, I think the first Order was in the right. It took fewer risks with such rules.

If you notice the Jedi Order has changed significantly from century to century, the Order of the KOTOR era didn't believe in executing their enemies (as said by Bastila Shan) but would probably make exceptions for special cases (Malak anyone?) But times have changed by the clone wars Order, killing and execution seem to be standard procedure and nobody second guesses it, in some cases at least in the NJO the Jedi try reasoning with said Sith or Dark Jedi (hell legacy's order has been reduced to like six members or so?)

I disagree with Revan's statement above:

There are certainly cool characters from the NJO, but they just haven't had the time to develop yet.

from the time Episode VI ended to the current FOTJ series the Skywalkers, Solos kids, Kyle Katarn, Cam Solusar, Corran Horn, and countless others have gotten plenty of time and definite character development LOTF series was a good booster for character developments in my opinion.

The order from the Clone Wars wasn't any better than the NJO, they were all running around like rats in a cage chasing after someone who presumably didn't exist (a red herring) when the big bad was right under their noses the entire time, the only ones who came remotely close to ending it before it could have exploded into what it is now were; Mace, Yoda, and Anakin and we all know what Anakin's decision was.

There were plenty of legendary Jedi from the Old Jedi Order and it is doubtless that there will be many legends sprouting from the New Jedi Order; Jana, Ben, Cam, and Zek, all have my vote.

Yes, but we aren't talking about just the Clone Wars-era Jedi. And though Kam, Kyp, Kenth, Kyle(man, a lot of K's going on) and others are good characters, they aren't "legends" yet, and honestly I don't really see them turning into that either. It is a bit unfair because some of the Old Republic Jedi "legends" such as Yoda, Mace Windu, Obi-Wan and Qui Gonn were in the movies. And even though Kyle has a great story and his own games he still isn't all that powerful or anything.

Now, it is obvious to all you are a Jacen fan. Jacen was powerful and held his own against some powerful Jedi, including a distracted Luke. He was one of the most powerful in the galaxy at the time. But there is no way he could have stood up to the best of the Old Republic Jedi. That, to me, shows how weak the current Order is. But this is still really only the 2nd generation of the New Order. The old Order has thousands of years.

I know that you will undoubtedly respond with evidence to the contrary, but all of Jacen's "Force knowledge" was overblown. He knew some cool tricks, and could take the pain, but none of that makes up for discipline and intelligence, which Jacen was lacking(though I'm sure you will tell me the opposite).

And sorry for the ridiculously long post. But I'm bored right now...

I personally think the Old order was better, They where more disciplinary and where more dedicated to their way's. Sometimes restrictions are necessary, the new jedi order I see them as weak jedi's for real, most of them begun training at a old age and they don't have the attributes the jedi's from the old order had. If I have to say way more prepared Jedi's I would say The Old Jedi order, more freedom NJO, but still I do belive the old order was better, more discipline and more dedicated (Since kids).

^

TBH I think the stress of living such an isolationist (away from friends & family) and celebate lifestyle was one of the reasons the Old Order (Kotor era - Clone wars) had so many turnovers. Luke's NJO had a few turnovers, but like I said there were plenty redeemed. But I will agree that the Old Order produced more "efficient" Jedi, most likely because they didn't have anything else (no love, no family, etc.) so they were entirely devoted to being either Jedi or Dark Jedi/Sith. :D

While the old order is very cool and has a rich history, the new order was built from the ground up. If you think about it, Luke knew absolutely nothing when he became a Jedi. So he has to search and build his powers on his own and do the same with teaching other about the force. Since he really knew nothing of the old order he followed his heart with building the new order. Probably why they had a pretty good record of Jedi who stayed with the order.

Archived