Home

Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 Demo Preview

True_Avery

What do people got against TSL's music? I liked alot of it because it was very dark, it would be perfect for the sith worlds like korriban and maybe a bit on the more lava/ volcanic area's of Ord Mantell.

Some of it is good stuff, but the majority is too jarring. A little bit of jarring would be fine, but they went over the top. I liked K1's music because it was balanced and the music fit each world quite well. The music where you fight Darth Malak on the Star Forge is particularly awesome.

Are you really expecting that?

I'm not expecting. I'm hoping. There's a difference.

Also, SWG offered much of what you are initially talking about.

From what I heard on the Forums, SWG was not much of a success. Also, I've read some of the plot and frankly it seems to be very limited to the set canon of the movies. TOR will likely have more leg room, with the defeat of the Sith Empire being an event that takes place in a date much later than the Treaty of Coruscant, making anything that happens during the Cold War/MMO temporally plausible.

They have already said that pricing will be whatever the current standard for MMOs is at the time of release, which will definitely not be free.

Huh. Did not know they said that. Thank you Jeff. I still might end up playing this, though I'll investigate the standard fees that MMO charge today.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I just think people should expect monthly fees so they aren't disappointed when the real pricing is announced, but right now, $15 a month seems to be the standard. That is what Star Wars Galaxies costs as well as World of Warcraft and most others.

From what I heard on the Forums, SWG was not much of a success. Also, I've read some of the plot and frankly it seems to be very limited to the set canon of the movies. TOR will likely have more leg room, with the defeat of the Sith Empire being an event that takes place in a date much later than the Treaty of Coruscant, making anything that happens during the Cold War/MMO temporally plausible.

SWG was and is quite a good game, it has never had that low subscriptions... it's just they made 2 very large mistakes...

1: They completely changed the way the game worked, rendering some players achievements and reasons for playing moot.

2: They set it in a time frame too constricted by movie canon.

The other reason's it is slated is because it is Star Wars, and Star Wars fans such high and specific demands, secondly everyone thinks that WOW is the standard for MMO subs... Remember when warhammer (I think it was WH anyway) had 40k subs? everyone thought that was unbeatable, WOW is a phenomenon, but unfortunately it is the benchmark for success now.

sorry off topic/

When you said jumping was confirmed are you referring to the force jump ability that the Sith player used?

Or did you see both players jump when ever they felt like it? For example, could they jump over a box that was laying on the ground?

Or is the jumping limited to choreographed abilities?

When you said jumping was confirmed are you referring to the force jump ability that the Sith player used?

Or did you see both players jump when ever they felt like it? For example, could they jump over a box that was laying on the ground?

Or is the jumping limited to choreographed abilities?

We were told there was a space-bar jump like WoW, and we saw the Jedi/Sith combat jump which is similar to what it was in KOTOR.

(by the wonderful Steven Blum, well known for his portrayal of characters like Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop)

I am now officially a Bounty Hunter.

The look of the environments reminds me of Jedi Knight a lot, the second screen especially reminds of a level from Jedi Academy (I'm not sure, was it the Death Star or what?).

A question about the combat in TOR, how was the healing done? Did either class have healing abilities that pushing him in the healing role? Or was healing more in the way of 'heal yourself, and continue fighting' a-la KotoR medpacks?

We didn't see any kind of healing during the demo. I think the characters we saw were stronger than they normally might be so that they wouldn't die or need to be healed (just speculation, might be wrong).

Thanks for the great writeup. being able to play a more SP style game when I want is very encouraging. In my ideal world I'd like to be able to do that as well as play with specific people of the Lucasforums variety.

In my ideal world I'd like to be able to do that as well as play with specific people of the Lucasforums variety.

agreed, I like my gaming to be hassle free and with people who are interested in Star Wars and specifically KotOR, Not just MMO grinders looking to extend their e-peen :)

Archived